50 Randomly generated planets

Discussion in 'Planets & Playfields' started by andargor, Jan 27, 2017.

1. Zensai

Zensai Lieutenant

2. Myrmidon

Myrmidon Rear Admiral

Can I add this on a single player game? For example can I add it on my own save game?

3. andargor

andargor Commander

That should work, since I didn't touch the stock planets. Make sure you back up your save in case.

EDIT: What you do is you unzip in the game Contents folder as I mentioned earlier (where the SEctors and Playfields folders exist). Then put the Sectors file in your save, there should be a Sectors folder. When you get back in game you should see the new planets on the map and then when you go there, their playfield definitions will be pulled into your save.

Myrmidon likes this.
  4. andargor

andargor Commander

Install procedure added to top post.

Myrmidon likes this.
  5. andargor

andargor Commander

New version with all planets in jumpable range in first post. For modifying existing saves, please read it carefully, as it will wipe non-stock planets if you replace the Sectors.yaml to get the new map.

6. Myrmidon

Myrmidon Rear Admiral

I have tried but it did not work. Whenever I load a save game I only see the planets were generated with my seed when I first started the game. Your planets do not exist on the map.

Also rephrase your installation instructions. It is not clear what to unzip where and what to overwite or not. For example you refer to "content" but you do not clarify if one should overwrite both sectors folder and playfields folder or what. In saves the same happens. Saves have both sectors and Playsfields folder. So do we do two overwrites of two folders, four in total?

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
  7. andargor

andargor Commander

I'm not sure myself what is not clear, the post you are quoting or the instructions I put in the top post? :) As it says, you unzip in the top-level Contents folder (which will unzip stuff in the subdirectories in the zip), and if you have an existing save, you copy the Sectors.yaml file in the save game over the one that is there under its own directory (Contents\Sectors).

I was assuming that if you wanted to mess with an existing Save game you knew what you were doing :D I'll try to clarify even more.

EDIT: There, hopefully that is crystal clear now :)

Amun Raa and Myrmidon like this.
  8. Myrmidon

Myrmidon Rear Admiral

Thanx andargor, this was a swift reply. In the mean time between my post and this one. I managed to unisntall and reinstall Empyrion all over again Yes I am messing with my save files but no worries they are already in backup, also the game is in Alpha so a little mess is suposed to happen. What I was doing is overwrite both content folder with sectors and playfields folders of yours and the content folder in my save game folder. You see folders "Playfields" & "Sectors" exists on both locations. Your zip contains only those two folders. I open it with 7zip for example I always use drag and drop to unzip everything all the time.

Update:It worked :p....

Amun Raa likes this.
  9. andargor

andargor Commander

Cool. Yeah the Save game works a bit differently for playfields, the game pulls the playfield files from the top-level Content\Playfields directory when and only when you arrive to a planet the first time. It then renames it to the planet name and places it under the Playfields directory in the save game to track your changes, etc. So copying the playfields from the top-level to your save game does nothing but take up space (since the playfield is just a template that has a different name than the actual planet), let the game do that for you. :)

The Sectors.yaml file gets copied by the game from the top-level Contents\Sectors directory to the Sectors directory in your save when you first create the game, and doesn't change afterwards. Hence, why it needs to be placed in the save game manually to reflect a new map.

Myrmidon likes this.
  10. Myrmidon

Myrmidon Rear Admiral

Now it makes more sence to me, the key word is "template". Also now it is more clear to me how stuff works with the files and their location sectors and playfields. Thank you andargor, one more time for the valuable infomration.

It is possible to make a utility that creates entire universe, like yours, but with randomly generated planets and their locations over the space map. Major concerne ofcourse should me the location of each planet not to overlap or be very close to another and their inbetween AU distance to be within warp drive's jump capability. Should this utility takes already created saved universe and be able to expand it would be awesome.

But then again I feel that this is an internal "to-do" of the developers already to be implemented somwhere in the future. Something like that should not be obstacle for someone who wants to create a mod though.

I can only imagine the possibilities. :)

11. ukd777

ukd777 Ensign

Thank you for creating this ! After 300+ hours in single player this gives a new addition to me, great.

12. Myrmidon

Myrmidon Rear Admiral

Prepare for long fights gloomy planets with lots of fog and limited visibility even in close quarters.

13. andargor

andargor Commander

Well, it depends on the planets :) They are definitely not all like Akua and some are more hostile than others. Tweaking the random generation is actually quite hard, it's difficult to predict how the stuff will come out. That's why Eleon are hand-crafting the stock planets like Akua so they "look good".

I'm looking into having a weighted distribution for things like fog, e.g. instead of a linear number generation from 0.0 to 1.0, have more weight on the lower end of the scale for rarer heavy fog. Right now everything is pretty much linear, so totally random.

14. Myrmidon

Myrmidon Rear Admiral

Yes, randomness is exciting factor in games but can get pretty much messy, easily. Ballance is he key word here.

15. andargor

andargor Commander

Updated top post to reflect new version 3.1 for EXPERIMENTAL with radiation and weather.

16. Myrmidon

Myrmidon Rear Admiral

I have two questions
    1. Is the new version ok to be used on 5.xx? I do not have downloaded the 6.xx experimental yet.What do I miss if play on older version?
    2. What changes are there on 3.1 so it makes it suitable for 6.xx epxerimental, apart from the weather and radiation?
    3. I have altered a couple of planets myself by hand, so my saved games are a lil different because the planets are already visited. Example I changed two planets with temperate type and atmosphere under sectors in my saves folder. If I overwrite the sectors under content my saves will be the same and my planets as I have defined them.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2017
  17. andargor

andargor Commander

I have no idea of the impact of using these on 5.x or overwriting a save game, at your own risk :) Yeah, weather, radiation, temperature, etc. are the improvements for 6.x, check out the experimental branch announcement forum.

18. Myrmidon

Myrmidon Rear Admiral

I think I will wait for 6.x then.

19. TSmith62

TSmith62 Ensign

So many planets, so little time

@andagor which planet = Akua?

20. Myrmidon

Myrmidon Rear Admiral

zoom in towards the center it is a lil bit right side..

Akua.jpg