6.0E Feedback: TRIGGERS and SENSORS

Discussion in 'Experimental Features Discussion' started by Hummel-o-War, Mar 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hummel-o-War

Hummel-o-War Administrator
    Staff Member Community Manager

2. LiftPizzas

LiftPizzas Rear Admiral

This is really great and will be helpful in POIs too. Now you can have a door triggered to open revealing a turret (or spawner) as the player walks by. :)

A big help would be letting each device have a delay between when it is triggered and when it activates, so we can create an event sequence.

Also looping, so that a light can be made to flash, and/or "chaser lights" (and flares) can be created.

If you name two triggers with the same text string, they will both control the same devices. :)

VISION305 and Pyston like this.
  3. LiftPizzas

LiftPizzas Rear Admiral

Explosion blocks are really whimpy. You can't even blow up a concrete or basic steel block. These could really use a "damage" field. Maybe I just want to set off a fuel tank, or maybe I want to blow out a wall made of combat steel.

4. rainyday

rainyday Rear Admiral

Wow, these are really cool. And I've only tried basic stuff like motion activated lights and switches for the ramps (no more jetpack jumping to close big ramps, yay!).

Just need doors and shutter doors to have a "manual" setting so that they would only be opened via trigger/sensor (or manually pressing F) - not when you walk up to them.

5. Captain Jack II

Captain Jack II Rear Admiral

Quick little tutorial for a some CV ramps. Attached BP for reference.

Place motion sensor so it's facing your ship exit ramp and set as follows:

Screenshot - 3_25_2017 , 8_08_21 PM.jpg

I have an upper ramp as the main ship door, and a lower ramp to safely get to the ground. Everything is setup as follows.

Screenshot - 3_25_2017 , 8_03_21 PM.jpg
    The motion sensor preview should look like this so it sees outside the ship... that way when you approach the ramps from outside, the bottom ramp will deploy and the main ramp will open. When you sit in the cockpit, you'll be outside the motion sensor range and both ramps will close. When you get out of the cockpit and head towards the main ramp, it will open and the lower ramp will deploy. As you step off the lower ramp, both ramps will close.

Screenshot - 3_25_2017 , 8_09_40 PM.jpg

Hope this is useful for someone!

Attached Files:

6. LiftPizzas

LiftPizzas Rear Admiral

I'm thinking a radius selector would also be helpful.

Also it would help being able to make them visible (disguised as regular cube blocks) or invisible (sitting in air, non-colliding, or even overlapping other blocks.) If not, just make all of them invisible and overlapping.

7. woowoo

woowoo Commander

Can we get a delay on sensor activation or when spawning structures? I'm unable to build a proximity mine cv, it detonates instantly at spawn because I'm inside the max radius of the motion sensor.

Can we have a rotate block function for walls?

I was unable to lock automated doors, I would be really happy to be able to lock some doors, especially the one sending me to space if I walk over it.

Can we get offseted sensors like lights? Having them right in the middle of a block isn't aesthetic, I want the lever activating a door just next to it, not on the middle of the adjacent block.

Can we have a code lock on levers/buttons? I don't want my teammate to accidently activate our base autodestruction.

We need delays on activation, autodestruction example:
    The base is doomed, I pull the lever, instant death. OR I could add a delay in seconds to let me escape, pushing the lever back would deactivate autodestruction if the enemies find it. It would be fun if we could broadcast a text message to the players on or inside structures like "AUTODESTRUCTION !! 30 s remaining to evacuate"or just "welcome to my base" to the guy going through door entrance or walking on a plate.

Can we get the sensor radius preview toggle added to the structure integrity visualization or increase its length? 5 sec is short.

8. William Sharp

William Sharp Ensign

Can you please add a Trigger Lever with small LCD. I'd love to be able to label the switch in certain cases without going to a second block.

robberer, ion_storm, Cleff and 2 others like this.
  9. William Sharp

William Sharp Ensign

Not sure if this is a suggestion or a bug. I've got some Ramps and Shutter doors on a lever. I'd like to disable them opening and closing when i walk by.

robberer, Lhetre, ion_storm and 3 others like this.
  10. Greystar

Greystar Ensign

Yes I'd like it so that shutters and doors have a way to turn off of auto. Also to control more than one shutter from 1 switch. I was trying to set up three shutters to be controlled all by the same switch so that I could close them over my front entrance (windows and door) for during drone attacks. Alternatively make a 3x5 Shutter door and a 2x5 shutter door.

ion_storm likes this.
  11. Cleff

Cleff Ensign

I don't think the devs considered this yet so I think it would be considered feedback.

Making sensors activate from a player controlling an SV, HV, etc. rather than only if the player is on foot. Though this could get complicated because you may not want it to be sensitive to a vessel that is simply turned on, but one that has an active player inside it. For example, I had a hangar bay in my CV designed to automatically turn on the hangar lights when I entered the room, but they would not turn on if I flew a ship into the hangar (this kind of defeats the purpose).

12. Captain Jack II

Can a hangar door send a tx signal? What about motion sensors?Surely a light barrier would work?

13. Cleff

Cleff Ensign

I've tried motion sensors (setting parameters to enter the range) and light barriers, but neither recognize an SV with or without a person inside (as in they do not trigger unless you're on foot). You are correct that hangar doors can send a Tx Signal and in that regard it does recognize an SV coming up close to it to open, but the issue comes that you may not always want the lights turned off when the hangar door is closed or vice versa. The other issue is any design that has more than 1 door per bay (i.e. having doors side-by-side or even a design that has a door on the port and starboard side of the ship that allows you to "fly through"). It isn't simply an issue of the current limit of 1 device being able to send the same Tx Signal, it is more an issue of each door moving independently of one another and thus the lights always turning on or off while the doors fight each other with sending different orders to the same lights while the bay is under heavy use.

The simplest solution that I initially tried was a motion sensor that recognizes if a player is within the parameters, but again it doesn't recognize the presence of a player within an SV. It works wonderfully on foot, however.

14. Captain Jack II

Good feedback right there. Refinement is definitely coming... if you notice there is a "Signal Processing" button that currently doesn't do much, but it will.

15. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

Playing with Sensors now. Set up a master switch for my main floor lights on my Base - nice & simple. However, I wondered if I could assign 3x shutter doors to a motion sensor, so they'd all open when the player approaches - overriding the default player-on-foot proximity opening of this door class. Doesn't appear to work.

I'd created a 9 block wide, but only 3 block tall entrance in the side of my base, I'd used three of the 3x3 Shutter Doors to fill the hole. My plan had been to use Sensors to allow these doors to open when I, either on foot or in a vehicle, approached, with the doors closing again after I left the detection area.

From my admittedly short time tinkering with this feature, I have the following thoughts:

- An option to override whatever the default behaviour of a door might be via a sensor would be cool. I.e. Shutter doors can be set not to open based on player proximity, but on a detected event. Maybe this should be default behaviour for any door that is assigned to a sensor?

- An additional filter to proximity sensors able to differentiate between friend/foe.

Edit: I switched things around to use three of the 3x3x1 Ramp Blocks. As these have no default player-proximity behaviour, it worked very well. Until that is I got in my HV. As previously stated, a sensor having the ability to either detect the player when in a vehicle, or detect the player-driven vehicle, is critical for certain applications.

Damn good stuff though, really liking this new feature! :)

Scoob.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
  16. Cleff

Cleff Ensign

Great ideas. I ran into some similar issues using shutter doors as an improvised hangar door (because the hangar wasn't the exact shape I wanted but the shutters combined was). The automated function was causing a lot of conflict so I would love to see what you suggested implemented.

I also love the idea of setting sensors/traps based on friend or foe. Maybe even if we have the current typical "Public, Private, Faction" settings that could make for some very interesting results. Perhaps a trap that only gets set off if the player is not a part of the proper faction, or even a CV bridge/cockpit that auto-locks(or auto-opens) if a player approaches it and does not meet requirements, or if it is a private vessel.

17. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

@Cleff - Thanks :)

An additional request if I may. Could we perhaps get a Light Sensor, enabling us to set base lights (for example) to come on automatically once it's dark? Having a Light/Dark threshold values at which point lights turn on/off would enable player to customise based on their own preferences.

Scoob.

ion_storm, Pyston and Kyecthus like this.
  18. Cleff

Cleff Ensign

Lol I just had an entertaining thought. What if you set rows of lights (let's envision a large hangar/complex with long lines of lights) to the light/dark sensor that you just mentioned. Then you flip a switch to turn one light off, or on, on one side of the row. It would cause a chain reaction! But I do agree, that is a cool idea yet again, but sounds difficult to put in accurately.

19. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

Heh, yeah. My intent was to have the sensor work with "natural" light, based on the time of day counter. Going forward, this might have to work differently once we have proper round planets, with correct rotation and alignment to the sun. There might even be day/night length variations depending on axis alignment etc. one day. Getting ahead of myself there though :)

Note: some sort of "timer" switch that can be set to "tick" every so many seconds would be good, allowing us to have intermittently flashing "runway lights"...

Scoob.

20. LiftPizzas

LiftPizzas Rear Admiral

You already can set more than one shutter to use the same signal. Just select it in the dropdown for each shutter. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.