A6.0 Feedback: DURABILITY & REPAIR

Discussion in 'FAQ & Feedback' started by Hummel-o-War, Jun 6, 2017.

1. Hummel-o-War

Hummel-o-War Administrator Staff Member Community Manager

• Developer
  2. StyleBBQ

StyleBBQ Captain

Suggestion regarding Durability on Hand Drills.

EDIT: The Robinson Tutorial -does- warn to dig a ramp; had to start a new game to run through the Tut; the text that you can read in PDA after going through it does -not- mention digging ramps
    /edit
    *** As far as I can tell, neither the Robinson Tutorial nor the Knowledge articles warn to dig a ramp when mining to avoid getting stuck and dying.
    I think the old tutorial specifically warned to dig a ramp, and believe it warned about running out of drill fuel too?

In addition to possibly tweaking the PDA/Tut info, maybe add a warning when a hand drill gets nearly worn out?
    Rationale: If drill 'breaks' and you didn't build a ramp yet & you can't jump out of hole, well, you're SOL.
    So especially for newer players who may not dig an exit ramp as they go...

Last edited: Jun 10, 2017
  3. AndyofBorg

AndyofBorg Ensign

Armor durability still feels too low. Especially with heavy armor being hard to find and having limited repairs, it just needs to last longer.

zztong likes this.
  4. MrFubar

MrFubar Commander

I have not had too much trouble with durability but I think it should warn you when durability on an item is low. Or for armor when it is out, I was running around with zero durability armor for a while without realizing it because there was nothing on the hud to indicate that it was out you had to go into inventory and specifically look for the green bar or mouse over the armor.

I also feel the repair station should repair an item to full not to a lesser amount.

The amount of durability decrease for tools feels about right to me on the server I play on, but i am not sure if it the durability degradation is set to normal or hard, the enemy difficulty is set to hard but the admin did not add anything to the config for durability when putting the server on 6.0

rainyday likes this.
  5. rainyday

rainyday Rear Admiral

These! I agree.

6. funny0frank

funny0frank Ensign

Don't mind durability as such, but I DO mind max number of repairs. The way it is now players (me included) are going to end up always using the T1 weapons/armor because there will always be a bigger enemy/worse situation that you might need the T2 stuff for...

Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
    rainyday likes this.
  7. MrFubar

MrFubar Commander

I posted this under armor but I think i we need an on screen icon/debuff for when our armor durability is out, and we need to know how the 0 durability affects the armor, I am not even sure if it does as you still get the temp/radiation buffs. My suggest would be giving the hud warning, increasing the durability of every armor slightly and then making the armor have no affect at 0 durability, no jet pack, no temp, no rad, no drone.

rainyday likes this.
  8. Atola

Atola Commander

The repair station itself constantly puts it load on the system. Its easy enough to connect to a switch and have it powered down most of the time but its annoying.
    Perhaps have it work more like the auto repair blocs?

9. vxsote

vxsote Commander

I agree that the armor durability is too low. One little fight and it's trashed.

I also think the hand plasma cannon loses durability much too quickly.

rainyday likes this.
  10. Izzin

Izzin Lieutenant

Would it be possible to expose a value between 1-10 in the server yaml where admins could adjust the durability loss and repair values? That would go a long way then simply hard coding it in game.

--Izz

11. Moonsugar

Moonsugar Rear Admiral

I have to admit: i dont like durability. Not a bit.
    But if we should live with it, i would at least like to know how it works. There are no visible (to me!) changes on the stats of an armor while the durability counter goes down. Same with the weapons and tools. Do they just cease funktion on durability=zero? The one time, i tried to test this out with my armor, i did not see any effects.
    So: whats all about??

rainyday likes this.
  12. Ballard

Ballard Rear Admiral

As far as weapons go, yes: They simply freeze up and stop working. This can be massively inconvenient under some circumstances. Armor, not sure. I've had my armor trashed, and saw little difference. I agree that a gradation of efficiency loss would be good.

13. dfxdeimos

dfxdeimos Ensign

I too wish there was a better indicator of the effects of armor degradation.

14. Moonsugar

Moonsugar Rear Admiral

Cant say this new finding is heightening me with joy... For now i have durability disabled in the game settings. I dont think that will change any soon.

15. Menos

Menos Commander

Durability is a thing that is probably needed in this game, as otherwise finding the same armor/weapon again will just feel like time wasted. However the current implementation is mostly annoying than anything else.

After each fight I have to walk to the repair station, undress, repair, redress. This is mostly annoying and adds no real value to the game. I suggest to simply get rid of the repair station as a whole and increase the durability of items accordingly. So a weapon will then last as long as before (including all the repairs), just that you do not need to constantly plug it into the repair station anymore. That way you have the loss of items thanks to durability, but no one is annoyed by it, and it is very clear to the player how long you can use an item.

16. Moonsugar

Moonsugar Rear Admiral

Why, for heavens sake, should i constantly loose items? Especially if i am bound to sheer luck to find them?
    Either i can craft those T2 items on my own, or i want to keep them forever. Its really silly to introduce a level system just to counteract it with those weapons kits and degradation. One of them alone is not a big deal, together they ensure you will run around with the pistol from day zero forever (apart from short exceptions). So why leveling at all???

Xerexs86 and rainyday like this.
  17. Menos

Menos Commander

You should not constantly loose items, but occasionally. If you never loose anything then you quickly come to a moment in the game when there is no incentive to continue, because there is nothing else to gain.

I totally agree however that the T2 system is currently very silly, as expected. There is only an incentive to upgrade for PvP, as T1 weapons are completely sufficient for single player.

rainyday likes this.
  18. Wild_XIII

Wild_XIII Captain

The permanent degradation needs to be either thrown out or made so that we can fix it by adding parts to the repair station.

I don't have a problem with durability. If it's done right it increases the survival experience as you'll have to look after your gear to keep it working properly and ensure you survive, but having our stuff permanently degrade when fixed is just rubbish, especially when you can't fix the degradation! It's just a very poorly thought out mechanic at the moment. Hell, at this point even if we have to create parts in the constructor to use in the repair station to fix it at all back to 100% would be more believable than what we currently have.

I know we have the option to turn off durability and that is much appreciated as right now I don't know of any one who likes it.

As I say, I'm up for having durability, but it's going to need some love and attention before I start using it.

19. Moonsugar

Moonsugar Rear Admiral

Ham. If you think so... Sorry, my game experience is fundamental different from yours. I do find something new all the time: new planets, new environments, new strategies to do the task a bit more effective, or with less colleteral damage, or... whatever you can think of. Its a brain game, to me, not a thriller you do consume and where there has to occur a new twist every five minutes. And my brain is constantly feeding me with new things. Ideas. New items are fine, but not enough. They allow me doing my thing; no more, no less.
    No, they are not. Attacking even a drone base on Akua, let alone a Xenu Fortress on Masperon, with only T1 weapons is plainly suicide. (You can just use arty, but...)

Xerexs86 likes this.
  20. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

I think at this stage of development, it's normal to "come to a moment in the game when there is no incentive to continue, because there is nothing else to gain" because we don't have the final version with all content. So the role of T2 weapons can hardly be weighted correctly right now in this context, I guess...