Alpha 5.0.4: Patch 4

Discussion in 'Patch Notes' started by EleonGameStudios, Jan 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tyrax Lightning

Tyrax Lightning Well-Known Member

This is the first i've heard of this. I agree Testing on this does seem Warranted. @LiftPizzas especially might be helpful here, he's Epic at Testing stuff. :) *Wonders if those same Ships using those 'Suspect 6-Way Cylinder Blocks' also had 10 billion Windows &/or Lights in them as well, thinking those Ships might be heavily built for looks, & Cylinders & 6-Way Cylinders are often used for Looks for serving as appearance of "Large Pipes/Piping"...*

Big Jack has one single 6-Way Cylinder Block on it & i've never noticed any problem from it, & I play with my FPS showing sometimes. Hell, I wish there was a Graphics Option to Default FPS to Show on Game Start.

Hive and Cpt_Beefheart like this.
  2. Jascha

Jascha Administrator

Such Blocks definetly cause Lags. In 5.1 messures are taken against it.

Tyrax Lightning likes this.
  3. Cpt_Beefheart

Cpt_Beefheart Well-Known Member

Could you provide some proof? It is not listed in the patch notes. With zero data thus far it just seems like a rumour originating in HWS that spread to other servers.

This is why I was asking for testing.

4. Jascha

Jascha Administrator

Hey, sorry. Also just saw that it was not mentioned in the Experimental Patch Notes yet. Dont want to say something wrong about the details, so lets wait for the next Patch notes. But it will definetly be taken care of in 5.1 in a simple way (for now) to minimize such extrem lags. Of course it needs to be tested still.
    But its not a rumor since we discussed that with the devs.

5. Frigidman

Frigidman Well-Known Member

Spreading false information and rumors is not healthy. There is no such 'discussion' on this with the developers. The tests I have done shows absolutely zero lag caused by those blocks. I can get more lag from window blocks than 6-way cyl blocks.

Mordgier and Tyrax Lightning like this.
  6. Jascha

Jascha Administrator

Sorry to dissapoint you. If you have acces to the closed alpha branch then you get your proof there. We are working quite close with the Devs...so no rumors ;).
    But since its not mentioned on the experimental branch I will not spread details. I only posted the info cause I thought it was mentioned but I was looking at the wrong branch. Anyway... the next patch will surely give more infos.

About the lags: Add some lights and you know what we are talking about. Its not just those cylinders. But all shaped blocks cause such trouble when there is multiple light sources, since there are more edges to calculate so to say.

Mordgier likes this.
  7. Mordgier

Mordgier Well-Known Member

Are we talking network latency or graphical rendering?

8. Lok_Soure

Lok_Soure New Member

Great update! I'm thinking about if would be good we could alternate to 1st person view while driving on motorbike. And how about an ATV instead a motorbike? I expect for a brazilian portuguese language too. :):):)

9. Cpt_Beefheart

Cpt_Beefheart Well-Known Member

Hmm, the thing is, your people discover an 'apparent issue', then talk to other server admins, who then take it upon themselves to start replacing blocks on peoples ships and threatening players with bans. It just doesn't seem like the proper way the information should flow, and I don't like seeing people accused of wrong doing when there is no clear solid foundation.

10. Jascha

Jascha Administrator

I would guess just graphical rendering. But those ships caused big pvp lags.

hm definetly not good. Sorry to hear that. But whatever people do, we cant stop them and we definetly dont encourage them to do that. And I would expect from other Admins to be reasonable with what they hear.... Especially since many player go into extremes in their thinking, against such bugs or on the other side wanting to make those bugs even "legal".
    As far as i know we did not really discuss this topic in out forum at all (even though some people mentioned it from time to time against that one faction, who used it quite a lot), nor did we really act on it or banned anyone. So I'm wondering why it got spread in such a way at all and by whom. Definetly not our intension.

Since we work togehter with the devs to fight those bugs, of course we discuss many of them in our forum, because we need details and repro steps for them. But even if we would decide to forbid a certain action/bug on our server, that should not be the guidebook for others.
    Our intension is not to make rules about bugs, but to help the devs to fix them.

....But I guess we draw away from the meaning of this post....

11. Mordgier

Mordgier Well-Known Member

Ah I take it you didn't approve of the Ring Things internal blocks being made out of concave corners?

Lag was never the intent. Concave blocks just happen to be the best white space blocks with 2000 hp. Nor should they be rendering as they are internal blocks and not visible at all.

Also frankly I question if they caused lag at all. We have stopped using concave blocks completely and guess what - lag is just as bad.

Feel free to pm me here or HWS. We have never had secrets about out ship designs or logic behind it.

12. SilvRav

SilvRav Active Member

Dam, thats a bnice bug list being fixed! love it! when is 5.1 schedule for release to the public?

13. DravenStone

DravenStone New Member

jump to system is too costly for one jump fuel tank, please fix or give us the ability to put more then one jump fuel tank on a single CV

Nookriot and Tyrax Lightning like this.
  14. piddlefoot

piddlefoot Well-Known Member

Known issue with curved blocks, devs are working on it, fixes in next update for them.

Nookriot, Sny and Tyrax Lightning like this.
  15. Fisher

Fisher Member

Does anybody know a method to remove seaweed? My building is over the water, so I'm building down to the ground for structural integrity.

The problem is I have weaker spots because I can't remove the seaweed. Guns don't fire underwater. I tried to snipe it from above, but the bullets just splash. Apparently I can't drill the seabed either.

16. Jacob Adjani

Jacob Adjani Well-Known Member

Haven't tried it, but... IF you are playing SP, you could try going into godmode and attack it from below the seafloor? Or of course, you could just turn SI off entirely.

Another idea - again, haven't tried it - place a block as close as you can to the offending seaweed and put a few explosive charges on it... hope that the AOE damage gets to it... not sure if you can place explosives underwater or not.

Just a "thinking out loud" idea(s) really. If you are playing MP, then unless you have admin/moderator/gm permissions, I can't think of anything else to suggest.

Fisher likes this.
  17. Fisher

Fisher Member

Awesome! It took 4 explosive charges, but the seaweed is gone (along with a nice chunk of my building :D ). Time to rebuild. Thanks for the suggestion.

18. Moonsugar

Moonsugar Well-Known Member

After quitting and reload, this setting is resettet. It can simplify building to switch it off, yes, but in the long run you have to fullfill the demands of SI, even in SP.

Jacob Adjani and Tyrax Lightning like this.
  19. Jacob Adjani

Jacob Adjani Well-Known Member

I wasn't aware that the setting reset, appreciate the heads up! :)

Where I think turning off SI might be helpful to the OP, even in light of a reset is that I have observed that how you build - i.e. in what "order" for lack of a better term - is important in overcoming SI challenges as well...

For example, building an "arch" (or as close to one as you can get with square blocks, lol) depends on how you build it... if you build the left vertical, then build out the top horizontal left to right too far, before building the right vertical it will likely collapse - if you build out the two verticals, then drag a horizontal across to meet both, you should be ok (assuming its not an unrealistic distance on the horizontal).

In short, "completed" structures - at least in my build experience - tend to be more SI stable on completion than they are during the build process itself. In fairness, I do tend to build symmetrically and with lots of supports - lessons learned from innumerable collapses just as I placed the "finishing touch" pieces on my hours of work... lol.

Again, hadn't run into that setting feature/glitch/bug (?) in the past, and am thankful to be made aware.

20. Moonsugar

Moonsugar Well-Known Member

Thats the moment i usually switch SI off. Building several pillars to lay the structures on afterwards is possible lately (since "connect to base" is available), but its tedious to lay the blocks down at just the right position. Its much more simple to build the arch (or bridge or whatever) first and then leading the supplements down at the right places.
    Sigh... the sight of my castle, built with SI off, faltering on reloading the game was one of the less pleasant ones in this game so far. Not to mention the quite inappropriate time: It took all the power coils with it into doom that i just had collected from space drones...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.