Alpha 5.0: Out Now!

Discussion in 'Patch Notes' started by EleonGameStudios, Dec 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Captain Jack II

Captain Jack II Well-Known Member

Put them up high, on an arm, so they have more of an arc when you pitch down... maybe? More of a mechanical advantage?

P.S. I want my HV to pivot at a certain.... point... anyone know how to make that happen?

Tyrax Lightning likes this.
  2. Fractalite

Fractalite Well-Known Member

I have a fun idea for you siege; I have been doing some experimentation of my own, and more rcs /= better maneuver of drills downwards. What seems to really help is the position of the hover engines - try moving them back a titch and see if you can rotate *downwards better(do not get me wrong, you will still need SOME rotation. :))

I am finishing up my design right now. Once I take a few more screenshots and slap some text on the images, I will post it to the workshop so that you can try it - it is quite comfortable to maneuver into the ground.

Maybe I should start a thread in the experimentation section about proper drilling? ;)

EDIT: Rotate *forwards better

3. Kieve

Kieve Well-Known Member

I haven't tried this yet, but the one thing I figure on doing when I get around to building a miner is mounting the turret-drill inverted on the front of the craft. This way the vertical angle looks "up" at the ground and I can use it to drill a nice little starting divot, or other precision work, and the fixed-mount drills can do the heavy mining.

4. Frigidman

Frigidman Well-Known Member

What did I miss? Huh? I don't get it.

5. ADustyGlommer

ADustyGlommer Member

Hi there,
    can anyone confirm/deny that we can change the hostile CVs/SVs(?) just like we can exchange POIs currently by exchanging data in the respective folders? If not, will it be possible in the future? I haven't really been staying in contact with the game for a while until now so if this has already been said, apologies. Thanks in advance!

Hive and Tyrax Lightning like this.
  6. Siege Inc.

Siege Inc. Well-Known Member

The reason I use the arrow keys is because they keep the ship tilted down. As soon as the mouse stops moving the ship rights itself.

0skillz and Tyrax Lightning like this.
  7. Fractalite

Here ya go @Siege Inc.

Introducing, Mr. Drilly.

A fine upstanding gentleman that happens along at the perfect time for your drilling needs. Is cheap, tilts downwards comfortably, and maneuvers in the excavated pocket quite well.

This is my first attempt at a drilling vessel. Rather than spacing out the drill devices I decided to focus them into the front of the vessel - it seems to function more effectively also allows for a smaller more manageable ship.

The name is a fun tip of the cap to a fellow designer Siege Inc. and his hilarious "Mr. Pinchy." The original design I set out to make(and still might return to) was a tiny cone with drill heads spaced out according to something along the lines of the golden ratio. Then I thought about merging the idea into something along the lines of a deep-sea explorer. The result is Mr. Drilly.

Steam Link:
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=822398764

Enjoy!

Creative_12_2016-12-20_19-25-06.jpg

Creative_12_2016-12-20_19-25-16.jpg

Creative_12_2016-12-20_19-34-41.jpg

Creative_12_2016-12-20_19-34-04.jpg

And then, @Frigidman - I loved the LCD screens. That was such a brilliant idea. Very nicely done.

8. Frigidman

Frigidman Well-Known Member

Oh, you shoulda seen the view before someone jambed a turret in the center ;)
    20161212155042_1.jpg

9. Cpt_Beefheart

Cpt_Beefheart Well-Known Member

- Private player faction now have same properties regarding visibility compared to a "real" faction. Thus, you don’t have to form a one-man faction in MP anymore (there is no advantage of having such a one-man faction anymore)

...but isn't being able to ally your one man faction with other factions an advantage?
    -or does a solo person now have the same new options of being allies with a faction without being in that faction?

10. Cubez

Cubez New Member

Do I have to start from fresh to get all of the new features in the game? Specifically the POI's, will the loot containers have the Auto Miner core? I've recently started on a new map (prior to 5.0) and I haven't explored much or taken over the POI's yet. Do I have to restart?

Thanks.

11. Fisher

Fisher Member

Is there any way to transfer our bases and ships to 5.0?

In the past, I just copied the files from the shared folder, and copied over the area files to the new save. This has always been successful, but now the core says player faction and I can't enter the base or the CV. I'm also getting a red "no building" warning when I go near MY base.

Has something changed this update which prevents this?

12. Tyrax Lightning

Tyrax Lightning Well-Known Member

We're talking about the fancy schmancy sideways LCD Screens with the red & blue colored "[" on them as 'Theatrics Gauge Monitors'... worth +10 x 2 Style Points. :D

Huh. & yet from the Arrow Keys, ya can't maintain fire of the Drills. Mouse is the lesser Con imho, but to each their own. Maybe someday we'll get RCS that can auto-hold a Orientation for us one of these days. :)

Those Hull Blocks on the front near the Drills... a sacrifice of Vehicle Effectiveness in exchange for looks... makes me Facepalm a bit. :(

Also mighta made it a bit too wide for the Drill Placement to suffice. It's better to avoid having Vehicle Height or Width wider then the Max Distance from the outer Drilling Width ya got if possible. Also, ya coulda spaced the Drills a bit wider apart from each other & got away with it, but to be fair I had to experiment with that a bit to ascertain how to go about my own Spacing as well... & hope to do better yet in future Mining HVs.

13. Fisher

Fisher Member

To answer my own question posted above: I was able to successfully transfer my CV, SV and base to the new game by setting them to "public" first, then destroying their cores. I put 3 spare cores in a cargo box of the base then installed them where they belonged in the new game.

14. Fractalite

My first attempt looked like:

Creative_12_2016-12-20_18-25-54.png

But I discovered something after excavating several chunks of a mountain side. This placement did not seem to work as well as the more focused version. Not sure why that is, but the Mr. Drilly that I ended up publishing makes nice clean holes while also being very effective at clearing broader areas. What is more, the cleaner, sleeker, vessel operates much, much more effectively in the holes that end up being created.

I would invite you to try it, you might be surprised.

Tyrax Lightning and Kieve like this.
  15. Tyrax Lightning

Huh, strange... I may have more experimenting with Mining HV building to do...

Theory: Maybe having those 2 lower Drills that close to the bottom of the HV enabled them to dig out ground out from underneath your Hover Engines's Hovering?

16. LiftPizzas

LiftPizzas Well-Known Member

I've found this to be extremely useful for mining and my best design so far.
    [​IMG]

The key point seems to be making it short, and with the engines far enough from the front that you pivot over them when leaning in to the ground. If your front engines are on the very front tip of your HV, they will fight tooth-and-nail against any attempt to smash them into the ground when you try to tilt forward. So your ship is like a seesaw and the front engines are the fulcrum. You want your center of mass to be very forward, just at or barely behind those front engines.

Also the drills on this one are set back instead of trying to put them forward, which is why they are beside the cockpit. Again this gives as much clearance as possible for forward leaning.

BTW I tried putting the allowed two more drills on the bottom of the cockpit and this thing is a force to be reckoned with. Holding W and O, I plowed a beautiful perfectly smooth tunnel right through a mountain to the other side.

Edit to add: I already improved on it with this.
    [​IMG]

Will also be trying different drill configurations to see if there's a difference between line, rectangle, hexagon, etc.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
  17. Dietrich

Dietrich Member

So--this update is absolutely amazing.

Despite all the HUGE things this update does, I think we should all not overlook the importance of this tiny 'lil blurb here:

This fixes a HUGE fundamental bug that took me from playing MP, and was one of the single most annoying things to me about this game. This "tiny" little fix is a game-changer.

Well done, Eleon, well done.

0skillz and Tyrax Lightning like this.
  18. LiftPizzas

LiftPizzas Well-Known Member

Yeah. Too bad it happened after I destroyed a purple container with through-the-wall splash damage while blasting my way into the abandoned factory. lolwoops

Dietrich and Tyrax Lightning like this.
  19. Tyrax Lightning

Green LiftPizzas shot foodresources! /Gauntlet Voice :p

I know the Artillery Turret is fun, but ya might wanna be a tad more careful when & where ya use it. ;)

20. DragonHalo99

DragonHalo99 New Member

Awesome job on the update eleon! I have a question though. While playing singleplayer experimental 5.0 I noticed that you don't get enough points from leveling up to learn all bp's since you max out at level 20. Is this intended?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.