Alpha 6.4.1: Hotfix

Discussion in 'Patch Notes' started by EleonGameStudios, Jul 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gatt

Gatt Captain

I never meant to imply they shouldn't fix exploits i just thought the client fix would take care of it this time, i do see that by not updating the server the people who don't auto update their clients could still exploit the bug. Sure this time it is mostly worthless credits but next time it could be combat steel or ammo so there is no acceptable exploits. I always auto update so i didn't even consider it so i apologize. Although i do wonder how many people could even exploit the bug and of them how many don't auto update? I just thought it was possible eleon thought the client update would fix the problem and not force a couple thousand severs to have to update two days in a row

Endless Shogun likes this.
  2. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

Quick question: have others been getting excessive cases of "Please stop the ship to exit the cockpit"? I had big issues with this a couple of versions ago, but since starting afresh in 6.3.1 they seemed infrequent. Now, most of the time I am unable to exit my HV if it's hovering. Being on Masperon it MUST remain hovering to avoid all the melee predators of course. I'm attempting to remote mine with the drone, but am being blocked from doing so.

I think this is linked to an HV not being able to hold its self still on even the slightest of slopes any more. This needs to be fixed, as it was ages ago when the player used to slide on any slope, but personally I think an SV or HV - if it has sufficient thrust - should be able to hold its self still even at an extreme slope. However, for this issue my HV cannot even hold on terrain that's only barely perceptibly not perfectly flat, let alone genuine slopes.

Scoob.

3. Gatt

Gatt Captain

It does seem more sensitive now, even when i power down my hv i have to wait for it to stop rocking before i can get out. I don't remember it being quite so bad before

binhthuy71 likes this.
  4. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

Thanks, I had wondered if it was just me, but it does seem to be a lot more sensitive of late.

Scoob.

Gatt likes this.
  5. Gatt

Gatt Captain

Maybe OSHA got involved and they had to increase their safety standards

6. Booyaah

Booyaah Captain

On an unrelated note, I noticed in my Nitrado test server yesterday that whenever I tried to go up/down (not a problem when horizontally strafing), my guy was moving slow as molasses even while holding down ctrl+shift in godmode. Was really annoying and didn't seem to happen in a local creative game I would still gm move around as fast as normal.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
  7. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

Regarding the new T2 HV Laser Drills... is the visual range of the effect far far further than the actual mining range?

I'm on Masperon, effective range is reported as 10 metres. I can't say if the beam is 10 metres long, but only things at about half that distance can be mined, with the beam just travelling through anything further away with no effect.

I've just fitted four of these new mining lasers to my small mining HV - which was very effective with the normal drills - now this thing seems to really struggle, even the controls appear to be totally screwed up now, with the thing becoming uncontrollably unstable.

I'm guessing these new drills weigh a little more, but enough to totally and utterly upset the balance when on rough terrain? Even the "fixed" mode doesn't work and the HV flips on its side. Very very odd!

Just wanted to see what other peoples experiences are like.

Oh, when they do actually hit something - being pretty close - they chew through Ore at a rapid rate. However, whether linked to the range issue, they really struggle vs. just rock.

Edit: there's certainly something a bit broken here. Sometimes my HV will actually do the exact opposite of the action I'm ordering. I.e. I press to strafe left and it shoots right at full thrust, same for forward / back.

I know there's a control to hold the HV level, but said control kills turning so is only useful for straight-line travel, which I guess is what it's intended for. What we need are control that lock attitude, so we can hold a 30 degree slope as, while not allowing the HV to randomly roll but retain yaw movement. It's this roll that is most responsible for broken mining.

Note: I have mined with the earlier revision of this HV without too many issues. It's still wasn't great of course, but it's MUCH more unstable than it was. I used to previously be able to dig a relatively shallow slope down, and traverse it without insta-flipped into my side. That seems near impossible now.

As a test I more than doubled the thrust on my already nimble HV and, while it helped he get out of the inevitable trouble, it in no way prevents it. I hope HV mining gets some more work, as it seems to have regressed slightly....unless I'm just unlucky.

Scoob.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
  8. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Captain

You are right : the laser goes further than it can drill. In this picture you can see the laser going roughly 10 meters from the tip of the drill (each row of blocks being roughly 2 meters) to where it has no more effect:

NewGame_2017-07-13_19-27-28.png

Then I moved on top of this "measure wall" :

NewGame_2017-07-13_19-28-22.png

The laser "animation" shows double length.

9. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

@Kassonnade - good testing. Looks like the reported effective range is correct then, but the visual effect is too long. Personally, I'd like to see the effective = the visual length, but then I'm greedy like that :)

Scoob.

10. mR_kAt

mR_kAt Captain

That or reduce the visual effect to match the range. Having the visual range not match the actual range just adds confusion to players and general inconsistencies.

ButtonPusher likes this.
  11. ButtonPusher

ButtonPusher Commander

the drills are good, just need a few tweaks as the players here are saying, and i would prefer the range to be extended, they are not the same as the T1 drills and should not necessarily perform or act in a similar manner to them (in my particular opinion, with gaming experience to back this up a bit). I feel that they should have a much larger range (not just a bit more) than the T1 drills, and not require the player to be so close to the material to mine it effectively and easily. I also agree with mR_kAt and also Scoob here and have the same sentiment in general, whatever actual mining range they will have, the animated on screen range should match up nicely with it and not appear to be different to the player.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
  12. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

Random questions: I was just browsing the Steam forum and read a couple of things I'd not personally experienced:

1) Meteor showers can destroy anything on the surface, so bases and ships - several posters are confirming this. I assume they're meaning Resource Meteorites, not the visual-only min showers on some planets?

2) Some playfields have multiple PV's - players are reporting being attacked by a large CV and a second smaller one. Thought there was just one, or none, per planet?

Meteors damaging what they hit is something I requested ages ago, I suspect others have too, but I was not aware of anything being announced.

Multiple PV's has the potentially to be pretty cool too, as long as they don't automagically find you in the first ten minutes...

Just wondering if anyone here can confirm these features?

Scoob.

13. Marty

Marty Lieutenant

Really? YAY!!!! :)
    I love this. I love when meteorties are dangerous. I made this very suggestion a year ago or so.

14. Hummel-o-War

Hummel-o-War Administrator
    Staff Member Community Manager

1+2 No and no.

Meteor showers only harm players, not vessels/bases.
    In default playfields there is only one PV. If not this is either a bug or modified Playfield.

15. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

Thanks for confirming. People were commenting about this, and others confirming it so I was a bit confused. Don't often go onto the Steam Empyrion forums...guess I have another reason not to now lol.

It would be cool if certain extreme "weather" types on the harder, non-starting planets could damage vessels and structures though. Harder materials, at least for any exposed surface, would be obligatory. Having to build a hardened "bunker" type entrance for an underground complex would be pretty cool. As would hardened steel HV's and SV's being required to survive on the surface :) Maybe one day!

Scoob.

Sofianinho likes this.
  16. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

Observation:

The tweak that prevents Drone Attacks against your base while you are away, seems to work very well. I've had zero attacks vs. my Masperon Base while away, yet plenty while I'm home. However, once you have more than one base, things change...

I have my original from scratch base above, plus I just captured a Bio Lab POI, and I've moved in. While on this new Base, I got the Drone alert message. At first I wondered if they were heading for this new base - which would be good - but that was not the case. Upon returning to my main base, about 1.6km away, I saw the classic "battle just starting" scenario as I got within about 800 metres.

So, in summary, the Drone Attack (and I assume CV attack?) suppression works well when the player is away, except if they are at another base, then their first base can still be "attacked" by drones, and all that entails.

Not sure if this is bug-report worthy or not.

Scoob.

mR_kAt likes this.
  17. Patwar

Patwar Commander

Again, it you don't apply a "fake update" like virtual hotfix server side, cheaters can continue to exploit these money bugs on servers (officials or not).

The only way to force clients to update is a server update.

18. krazzykid2006

krazzykid2006 Commander

Why are these hotfixes client side only? That makes no sense! The people cheating will simply just not update their client and they can continue to cheat.

You aren't fixing anything.

Changing the brightness of a player light is something that deserves to be client side. Trying to stop cheaters HAS to be server side or it will never work.

And I'm talking to a brick wall here so I'm wasting my time.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.