Alpha 6.5.3: Update

Discussion in 'Patch Notes' started by EleonGameStudios, Jul 31, 2017.

1. LiftPizzas

LiftPizzas Rear Admiral

I only did a little shooting with the new changes but it didn't seem like the NPCs were missing me at all. Maybe they were, but it felt like every time I came into LOS I was instantly taking damage (as always) and I never noticed even one shot going past me. So IMO they probably need to be tweaked more.

I'm ok with the new sounds. The one sound that has always been really weird to me is the "transfer inventory" sound. It's super loud and sounds like nothing that makes sense. Maybe it's the sound of a dumpster door slamming shut as heard through a long metal sewer tunnel? LOL. Anyway I can't wait to get a replacement for that one. ;)

(Though I'm disoriented getting on the bike because the sound makes me think I've launched my drone instead.)

mR_kAt, Sofianinho and Jacoviz like this.
  2. XeroTerragoth

XeroTerragoth Captain

I played this a bit doing a SP game since I haven't had much time for anything lately. I gotta say, I like the changes so far, even the new container sounds lol. I have noticed a few bugs that are kind of frustrating, though.

Doors. They either appear to be open already and aren't or they open and never close. Not really sure what's going on there. I thought at first it was because I occasionally manually open an automatic door, but this persisted even after I made it a point not to do so.

I should also mention that enemy behavior is still a bit odd when you're in a vehicle. I tore through a group of baddies at high speed in my HV (literally ramped off a mountain, guns blazing, and landed in the middle of them) and none of them appeared to even fire a shot at me. Though perhaps my 2 minigun turrets and rocket launcher killed everything too quickly and they just didn't get time? It seems like I should have taken at least some damage there...

Also pretty sure my HV's turrets should be firing at the cores of the crashed Titan POIs and it is not even though it was set to do so (which was pleasantly surprising as I had intended on finding them myself anyway and simply forgot to uncheck the boxes).

Last thing I can mention is that drones seem to be having trouble with the water in some Use Cases. Occasionally, a drone wave would come into my base (it's built on a peninsula of sorts), and immediately dive into the water and solid snake their way into my perimeter this way. Apparently these drones are amphibious AND airborne, and my base's turrets cannot shoot low enough to hit them into the water, or just don't fire on things under the water's surface.

mR_kAt, Sofianinho and Paul_Tamster like this.
  3. Moonsugar

Moonsugar Captain

In my experience this "immediately" has changed, definitely. The fact, that they have to turn (with limited speed) in your direction before firing is very noticeable. Same with the turrets and sentries.
    shooting in air is fine. shooting in water also (at least for me, i did not check with turrets). But firing through the surface is impossible.

XeroTerragoth likes this.
  4. LiftPizzas

LiftPizzas Rear Admiral

Only the first time. Once they are turned, try to pop around a corner to take a shot, and you take damage before you can even see anything, because they are shooting the edge of your hitbox on the first possible frame. :/

malrose1 likes this.
  5. XeroTerragoth

XeroTerragoth Captain

Well I wouldn't even mention it or care, but it appears they managed to take out a chunk of my base this way from under the water. So either they can shoot at things from under the water, or they did the damage and took out my wooden base's core before I managed to get in range and then decided to go for a leisurely swim while they waited for me to show up.

6. old_guy

old_guy Lieutenant

Have to say that imho the new cargo sounds are for some kind of small box like a lunch box or tackle box. On my CV I have cargo boxes with with stacks and stack of ore and ingots -- opening one of those big heavy things should (imho) sound a little less tinny.

7. Moonsugar

Moonsugar Captain

Yes, thats right. Turning is slowing them down, but shooting is fast as ever. While thats fair - or at least, not too unfair. In my experience (counterstrike) skilled humans are equally fast. (No, i am not skilled. Thats the reason i am playing with many, but "easy" enemies.)

8. Moonsugar

Moonsugar Captain

Well, at least its not the usual artificial stupidity for once :)
    I have never seen this before, so i can just guess: They approached with a constant distance to ground, being under water as long as it was deep enough. They came closer, water became shallow, they rised above surface, destroyed your core and went wandering around, in deep water again and below the surface.
    Dependend on your habits of choosing building places this could occur regularly (?)

9. TiwBras

TiwBras Commander

i'm playing survival mode and i forgot to change the experimental settings so i back to game and some sounds are diferents, good, awesome! and i think "omg whats that sound?" so i look to armor locker and "i don't remember of this machine or locker or whatever" and i came here to see the changes and all make sense now =D

all chages are awesome!!!!!!! S2

10. Tree

Tree Lieutenant

I made a little SV that's able to go through 1 block entrances and raid POIs with ease without having to risk your life but couple patches later I notice ziraxs, combat mechs, etc no longer attack me while im in the SV. They will target me if I exit the vessel though. Made a new save and the issue still persist.

NewGame_2017-07-28_21-59-14.png

Game_2017-08-02_16-37-56.png

mR_kAt and Paul_Tamster like this.
  11. LiftPizzas

LiftPizzas Rear Admiral

I don't find this "fair" at all nor is it anything any skilled human could do, nor is it fun. They are shooting a bounding box before the player model is actually "visible" and they know when the player is going to come around the corner via x-ray vision. If you hide behind a corner and pop out, a projectile will already have been fired (while you were still hidden) and it hits you in the face on the first frame that it is possible for it to have happened.

This isn't because the AI has been programmed to know everything, it's because it hasn't yet been programmed to not know everything, and only act based on information that would be available to an individual in that NPC's position.

Anyway, the point is that NPCs are not missing. They said they added missing based on speed and distance, and wanted feedback on that. My feedback is that as far as I can tell it plays exactly as it did before the changes.

12. Hummel-o-War

Hummel-o-War Administrator
    Staff Member Community Manager

Imho there is a little misconception: What we added with this patch is a calculated CHANCE that a "instanthit" bullet will not hit, depending on your movement. This can be fine-tuned.

So it is calculated refinement, and not yet an aming change where you would be able to actually physically "dodge" incoming fire (at least not for the hitscan weapons; there is no change for projectile weapons like rockets). Maybe this can be changed when the player movement controller is improved.

13. rainyday

rainyday Rear Admiral

Already the fact that enemies have to notice you and turn to face you in order to shoot make the combat much more enjoyable.

14. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

I think that's the key point. If they actually have to detect me (via LoS or sound) then turn to fire, that's good. Their soldiers, they should be very good shots. However, what Lift says about the players hitbox seeming to be too large, so we get hit before we're out of cover, is valid too. The fact that there's LoS at all, i.e. poke your head out of cover & get shot, is good, but the AI knowing exactly where you're going to pop up out of cover, not so much.

Still, things are improving, so this is good. What I would like to see though is transparent blocks being taken into account, currently I can be on one side of a window block and the AI will ignore me. If glass is one-way, like some of the Shutter variants, then that's fine, but not with a normal window. Equally, if AI knew where you were before popping into cover, them spamming the area with fire, even if they cannot see you, would be pretty cool too. Note: though only in the area they knew you to be, no ESP please lol.

Also, will NPC's ever be able to open the doors in their own bases? Doors opening without player interaction and streams of Nightmares pouring out would be truly terrifying...especially if you don't pop that particular change in the patch notes.... ;)

Scoob.

15. LiftPizzas

LiftPizzas Rear Admiral

No misconception here. This is exactly what I mean. If they were missing I would expect to have some tracers flying by and not hitting me. I have not seen a single missed shot from them. The combat does not feel any different than it was before.

This only affects their apparent reaction time the very first time you engage them. After that they are already facing whatever you're hiding behind and are back to instant damage as soon as your hitbox is in LOS, even when you are still unable to see them.

malrose1 likes this.
  16. Moonsugar

Moonsugar Captain

Hmmm... you are too close and too slow. <duck>

17. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

Anyone else noticing stationary Drones?

I'm just doing one last sweep in my HV, looking for meteorites on Masperon, and every Drone I've seen so far hasn't been moving.

I was wondering if anyone else had noticed this? They were moving around just fine, but they're not now.

Edit: they do wake up, but only if I get really close, like within 50 metres in my testing.

Scoob.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
  18. Jaydee

Jaydee Ensign

Drones are stuck when there's a certain population on a server. In other playfields, they do work.

They work after a bit when turning off AI and turning it back on.

Also, fiber, pentax, and other pickable exploits is still unfixed.

Other than that, thanks for this!

19. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

I'm Single Player, so that shouldn't be a factor, unless something else has glitched.

I am currently roaming around picking Pentaxid, and I'm only getting the usual two from each crystal, which then shows the "harvested" version of the model. So, just drones acting odd for me.

Maybe they should all deactivate, I'l killed the Drone Base after all....

Scoob.

20. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

Another question for anyone who help...

A few version back, I was forced to quit a game in progress due to a bug. This bug affected CV's in space, and caused a MASSIVE fps drop when trying to turn. Despite trying numerous suggestions, I was forced to restart from scratch.

Anyway, I just took my Class 7 CV into orbit for the first time with zero issues, until that is I turned to face the Warp aypoint, at which point my steady 60fps fell into the low 20's.

Why is this? I cannot be starting again. My fully working and fine CV is now loaded with materials and equipment, as well ass several SV's and HV's. This was reported as a bug previously, and deemed to be an issue with continuing a slightly older save. So, I restarted in 6.3.1 and we're now on 6.5.3, has this bug re-occured?

My CV is reasonably large, with thirty turrets, a fair few windows and not much in the way of deco blocks. Size is 94x128x42m, mass 39.4kt with 9,326 Blocks total, 791 devices, 101 lights (all off) with an overall triangle count of 111,256. While a large ship, there have been plenty larger creations.

Edit: trying to fly towards the warp marker, my fps drops the faster I go. Hitting one fps before I even get near the speed required to warp. Has my CV become totally unplayable again due to updates?

Any advice appreciated.

Scoob.