Alpha Experimental 6.0 - Terrain Generator: Create your own Terrain

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by EleonGameStudios, May 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EleonGameStudios

EleonGameStudios Developer
    Staff Member

• Developer
    [​IMG]

Hi Galactic Survivalists,

We decided to release our terrain generator so that you can play around with it and create more diverse terrains.

Here is some basic information about the terrain generator and the download link:
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1MCvuCMtFvnCV8UHAglEi-IhLJgcD60TzNBjVbAZCptw/edit?usp=sharing

Please read the documentation carefully before using the terrain generator.

[​IMG]

Disclaimer:
    • The terrain generator works only with the Experimental version of Empyrion. In the public version, you will not be able to load your custom terrains.
    • The terrain generator is not very stable yet and crashes quite often (we recently ported it from Linux to Windows and did not yet find time to stabilize it). We recommend saving your progress regularly.
    • The GUI of the terrain generator is not yet very user friendly. When you are interested in helping us to improve the interface, we can share the source code with you
    • The documentation is not yet very complete and detailed. It would be great if you could help us to improve the documentation and to describe the functionality of the Terrain Generator in more detail before we release it to the public.

Feel free to post screenshots of your created terrains in this thread. We are looking forward to seeing what you are able to do with the terrain generator.

Cheers,
    Empyrion Dev Team

Last edited: May 5, 2017
    Quarior, Spectre, Ken and 21 others like this.
  2. Hummel-o-War

Hummel-o-War Administrator
    Staff Member Community Manager

ButtonPusher and .:skorpion:. like this.
  3. Mulo

Mulo New Member

When I tried to save the file it crashed.

Untitled.jpg

4. jlego

jlego Member

Are you planning on creating a repo on Github or Bitbucket for it, or are you keeping it closed/shared source? If the former, I'd be willing to contribute when I can, and I expect that there are others who would as well.

Dietrich, Sokuaisushi and Mulac like this.
  5. nexus_absolute

nexus_absolute Well-Known Member

Excuse my ignorance but I assume that this is the whole world in the view window - i.e. the flat terrain that is wrapped around a sphere to form a planet, and that what we are seeing is an example of the terrain based on the parameters rather than specific terrain details (i.e. specific locations of mountain, lakes, etc)?

TK85 likes this.
  6. Kaeser

Kaeser Well-Known Member

There's still a limit in high that is 250m, your mountains seem way over that....

Unfortunately there's still no indication on the HUD how high you have gone already you have to gauge and test in game...

Start a game with that terrain, if your escape pod spawn on entrance and mountains are already around you it's likely you have surpassed the limit....

Dietrich and XeroTerragoth like this.
  7. Kaeser

Kaeser Well-Known Member

Yes that is correct, and is only a general layout as it will change depending on the seed you use in game...

Also there's still no way to directly change the terrain, that is you can't create caves or tunnels ATM...

nexus_absolute likes this.
  8. Myrmidon

Myrmidon Active Member

It is a nice tool but it lacks randomness.

9. Zor_The_Cruel

Zor_The_Cruel Active Member

exciting though that we might get the ability to customize the general topography templates that the seeds use to build from. Very nice.

Daede, Marty and XeroTerragoth like this.
  10. -Faust-

-Faust- Member

What language is it written in? I presume C++ since you ported from Linux but I guess it could be Java also?

11. Gorby

Gorby Active Member

Will this work with the public branch in the future at some point?

EDIT: in hindsight, this is a silly question that should probably be ignored; there wouldn't be much point to making it if it could only be used with an experimental version. :oops:

NovaXP likes this.
  12. LiftPizzas

LiftPizzas Well-Known Member

I suck at interface design, but I'd love to have the source code, to see if I can add some more of the shape algorithms/functions. :)

ButtonPusher and Sofianinho like this.
  13. Booyaah

Booyaah Well-Known Member

Can we make large caves with this?

ButtonPusher likes this.
  14. medicineman

medicineman Well-Known Member

Oh... so that's why the planets aren't spheres. You guys aren't making the terrain in the correct shape from the get go.

15. Tom7i

Tom7i New Member

Imho it's more of an engine limitation thing. If Unity isn't able to produce stable large spherical planets, then making large spherical maps is of no use to anyone, so they have to make stuff within the limits that Unity let's them work with, eg. make smaller rectangular maps that wrap around a cylinder shape.

AEnoch likes this.
  16. Gorby

Gorby Active Member

If Unity isn't able to produce stable large spherical planets... then they should tell me now so I can stop playing this game. I don't care if they're much bigger but if the "Polar Hexadomes" are going to be in the game forever then I'll find something else to play.

Marty likes this.
  17. NovaXP

NovaXP New Member

I highly doubt that the game will ever use "true spheres" for planets. It would likely cause a number of issues regarding performance and how physics work. If anything I'd imagine that the way they can get it working is by somehow seamlessly stitch the terrain together to give the illusion that is a sphere.

That's just me though, I can't speak for the devs at all.

Daede, Zor_The_Cruel and TK85 like this.
  18. Gorby

Gorby Active Member

As long as I can fly around on it as if it were a sphere, that's fine by me. When I'm at the northern edge of a planet I shouldn't have to fly horizontally halfway around the planet to get to the northern edge on the other side - I should be able to fly across the north pole and get there much quicker. The "green wall/prime meridian" needs to go as well, I shouldn't have to cross some magical boundary to see structures and vessels that are on the other side of it but are only 50m away.

Daede, Syncretos and Marty like this.
  19. ion_storm

ion_storm Active Member

Make a video about it...

20. medicineman

medicineman Well-Known Member

Or it's a skill and knowledge limitation.

KSP uses UNITY. It has much better physics and round planets.

Ken, Sokuaisushi, banksman45 and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.