Alpha Experimental 6.6

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by EleonGameStudios, Aug 12, 2017 at 5:27 AM.

1. geostar1024

geostar1024 Rear Admiral

Nope, I did mean an increase. More specifically, I'd like to see the thrust/input power ratio decreased; whether that happens by reducing thrust or increasing input power or both doesn't matter all that much to me. My reasoning is that, with the advent of auto-brake being toggleable, your thrusters will be idling a lot of the time, and you also don't need as much lateral thrust: you can simply turn your ship to point your main engines in the appropriate direction (and you don't need as many forward-facing thrusters either; want to slow down? flip and burn!). Ships that really require continually available high levels of lateral thrust (for assaulting POIs, say) would then end up being more specialized designs, rather than the default design.

I will admit, though, that we still need CV-CV docking in order for this proposal not to completely screw over players wanting to transport HVs to planet surfaces.

old_guy, binhthuy71 and rainyday like this.
  2. AndyH

AndyH Lieutenant

Devs, the sneak peak pics of the terrain looks amazing and you've done great work on the 6.x series of releases! As a server admin, I only have one thing to ask for 7.0. Please, please, please give the alien blocks their equivalent of missile and arty turrets so those of us running custom MP maps can toughen up the alien POIs/PVs on the non-starters? We've done a lot of tests (even to the point of inducing severe frame drops) and there is just no contest between the alien turrets vs. player builds. Right now the best they have is the sentry guns, and only due to their hitscan nature. That makes POI's and PV's mostly prizes waiting to be cracked open rather than something that gives pause to consider the potential risk/benefit ratio of approaching it.

Just asking for the building tool to let the AI challenge player vehicles. We'll take care of the rest, since you have much better things to do.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017 at 2:37 AM
  3. Eclypseon

Eclypseon Lieutenant

Must post the obligatory "This game continues to be AMAZING! Eleon is one of the most community-engaged and forward thinking developers."

and...

"OMG!!! 7.0!!! ohplease-ohplease-ohplease drop soon!!"

:) Love you guys. Love this game. You're all awesome.

4. Tyrax Lightning

Tyrax Lightning Rear Admiral

I don't wanna have to Flip & Burn to stop my CV... not just cause I suck at it, but also cause i'm lazy. :( (Plus what about those that don't go nuts on the CV T2 RCS count like I tend to? Flippin might be kinda hard for them...)

I thought this was supposed to be the 24th Century...?

GoldDragon, Arrclyde and banksman45 like this.
  5. Hummel-o-War

Hummel-o-War Administrator
    Staff Member Community Manager

@Terrain Screenshots: no increased gpu/cpu performance demand. ;-)
    @Terrain Screenshots#2: Not related to round planets or planetary "borders" (green/orange) afaik.
    @Billboards: The down-scaled version of a tree you see in a distance (SpeedTree is just kind of the "manufacturer" of the models)

Sofianinho, Jacoviz and Space Beagle like this.
  6. geostar1024

geostar1024 Rear Admiral

Well, if flip-and-burn were to become a standard maneuver, perhaps we'd get a dedicated key for properly aligning the ship, or at least a visual indicator of the ship's velocity vector (similar to what Avorion has). Flipping might very well not be fast on a large CV, so just don't try to do it at the last second before you smash into a space station :p. My 30-block-long 2.6 kt Camel CV flips in about 10 seconds (much faster than its angular acceleration value would predict, interestingly) on one T1 RCS, for instance.

I don't know, maybe I'm getting a little carried away with my enthusiasm about flip-and-burn actually being a viable maneuver now (just took a half hour break to redo one of my combat SVs, shaving off about 12% of its mass (2 tons) in the process). If you look at most sci-fi ships, you tend to find that they have very prominent main drives, while any lateral or attitude thrusters are much smaller by comparison. On the other hand, the slowing down mechanisms for a lot of large sci-fi ships tend to be pretty handwavy, and probably not flip-and-burn (unless we're talking about the Expanse, of course). Maybe it'll only be really viable once all the distances are scaled up.

7. banksman45

banksman45 Rear Admiral

I agree with you on that. I really do not want this game to get too realistic to the point where it just isn't fun for the casual gamer. Some people just want to play a SCI Fi game and have fun. They're not interested in playing a true space sim game which in Empyrion isn't that.

We could assume that what a future civilizations know about space travel and their technology maybe way beyond anything we can imagine. The limitations we have now and what we think we know about space travel now may seem laughable to the future generations.

I just think certain features in a future game like this has to be unrealistic to a point. Plus I don't watch SCI Fi shows in the hopes of seeing technology that would make sense in our world , I watch them to see technology and see stuff that is impossible by our standards. That is the same reason I play sci fi space games. Space Games for me is my way of getting away from reality for a little bit. I want CVs in Empyrion to handle like the ones I'm used to seeing in Star Trek, Star Gate and Star wars. Big heavy and powerful using certain technology that is based on fake science in today's world but fun to fly. lol I could just see causal gamers reaction if Empyrion became another space engineers and it starts taking an Act of God to get your ship off a planet and stay in orbit without falling back to the planet and then randomly blowing up because in a thoughtful attempt to make a game's physics more realistic you cause more bugs than you fix and causal gamers are turned off from your game. That is just my small opinion. I know Empyrion will be what it is and what the devs want it to be. I just hope whatever Empyrion ends up that it's more Sci fi than real science by 2017 standards.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017 at 6:33 AM
    Mortlath, 1979danb, Timer and 2 others like this.
  8. Arrclyde

Arrclyde Captain

Well tyrax, i am with you on this one. No complicated maneuver needed to do anything in this game. If i want to play a "more realistic" game i would fire up SE. But i don't. Empyrion got me when o saw that ot was way less complicated and hat a much better building and survival part.

I am pretty sure that the develpopers have a good idea of what to add to the game without making it to hard to do basic tasks as flying a ship. Flip and burn is possible for everyone how wants it by just not putting any thrusters facing forward. For the rest of us i am pretty sure the old method is here to stay. Frontthrusters hit the breaks :)

@EleonGameStudios
    Oh boy oh boy oh boy.... those screens look amazing. Can't wait to see whats in store for 7.0. Keep up the great work. I was a little concerned about pressuring would mess up builds, but the way you did it was pretty uncomplicated so i know new featires will be good.

Timer and banksman45 like this.
  9. Arrclyde

Arrclyde Captain

@geostar1024
    Well when i look at science fiction ships i see huge capital vessels with huge maindrives an NO drives facing the other directions, but they are moving in all dorections "magically". And that is what i like and want to see in a game. More science fantasy and less of science fiction.... well less of hard science facts for sure. That makes everything just unnecessarily complicated and overly complex, which is not needed to have fun. Well for most of the casual players out there at least. ;-)

rucky and banksman45 like this.
  10. banksman45

banksman45 Rear Admiral

I agree. I like SE and before Empyrion came out I played it a lot but the reason why I play Empyrion now is because it's a real game and not as complex as SE and way more forgiving.

11. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

Regarding Thrusters, I'd like to see some consequences of going beyond the Power Generators capacity. Seems now we can run at waaay over 100% Generator load without issue. This allows some builds that shouldn't work, work just fine. More thrusters should need more / better generators, which should mean more weight (generators should be heavy) which means more more thrusters lol.

I ponder Generators working like PSU's to a degree. I.e. they have a sweet spot of maximum efficiency, let's say up to 75% load. After this they get hot, burn proportionally more fuel and put out more rads / heat. Push too hard, say over 90%, for too long and they may take some slight damage. It might make for interesting designs. I.e. a light CV - using a small generator - that is within limits when cruising, but runs hot during a fight. The generator needs a service (aka repairs) after a combat engagement, but the lighter weight of the vessel overall makes it worth while. Oh, get it wrong and run a Generator at over 100% and it'll either go BOOM (excellent lol) or shut down for a given period until it can restart. This opens up the game to potential EMP type weapons that can destabilise generators for a short time, potentially making them run hot.

Additionally, I'd love to be able to allocate generators to groups. I.e. I'd have a "systems" group for lights, fridges and the like powered by a single small Generator, while a larger Generator takes care of the constructors with a the largest reserved for thrusters. The theory being that a larger generator running at low capacity is inefficient. Maybe a bit too fiddly for some, but I like detail like that, though it would be an optional thing of course.

Oh, something I posed in suggestions ages back regarding large ships feeling like large ships. In essence, I suggested that Thrusters should "spool up" like a turbo does. So, a thruster cannot instantly apply it's full force, rather it has to build up to it. The larger the thruster, the longer it would take to reach max thrust. This means smaller thrusters, those on HV's and SV's, would be able to apply their max thrust very quickly. Once you get up the the largest CV Thrusters however, they might take several seconds before they're exerting their maximum potential force. Now, larger thrusters would still be the only practical way to apply enough force to move the most massive of vessels, but they won't respond instantly as they do now.

For example, on my CV now I press a direction and it instantly starts to accelerate at 10ms/s/s (Metres per second per second) and it maintains this totally linear acceleration until it hits the speed cap. As a result, the ship feels quite quick. With my proposed change, I'd hit a direction key and my ship would start to accelerate at say 1ms/s/s, this would build to 2ms/s/s then 3ms/s/s all the way up to 10ms/s over the "spool up" period, until the thruster is finally exerting its full force. Obviously any directional change would cause the thrusters to "spool up" this way, so no application of force is instantly 100% of the thrusters capacity. I truly believe that this will make the characteristics of different vessels potentially very different. Sure, someone might choose to spam hundreds of smaller thrusters on a CV to make it nimble. However, to efficiently move large masses - vs. energy in as well as material costs - the larger thrusters are where it's at. If this aspect of the game was modable, I'd have been all over it already :)

So, yeah, the goal is to make these larger vessels feel a little ponderous, but ultimately very powerful with large amounts of thrust. With larger playfields in the future, I hope speed caps can be increased. Additionally, as small vs. large vessel handling would feel very different due to the thrust characteristics, there could be more speed parity between SV's and CV's, with the smaller SV's able to run circle around the larger CV's, yet both could maintain a similar top speed and still feel well-balanced. So, a large CV might ultimately have the same top speed, yet the thrust characteristics means he'll take a little longer to reach at, and any vector changes would be slower.

I rambled lol :)

Scoob.

oojimaflip, Jacoviz and MadRussian like this.
  12. Jacoviz

Jacoviz Lieutenant

Hummel-o-War, i sended you a mail with the updated localization file. I made important corrections in the italian translation.

13. Kronoss

Kronoss Captain

I don't know what you did in the recent patch but now jet packs and elevators do not work. It happened just this morning (8/13)it was ok last night.

14. binhthuy71

binhthuy71 Captain

"Thank you!" to all who work on localizing EGS. Translating a game into a another language takes dedication and strong skills in at least two languages. It's not flashy, it's just essential to helping more people in more places play EGS. Thanks for your hard work, localizers!

oojimaflip and Jacoviz like this.
  15. Myrmidon

Myrmidon Commander

1.Good news.
    2.So that means they will remain as is. I really can't wait for them to be "fixed" (aka removed/replaced). They are silly (no pun intended).
    3.So there will be smaller tree models in the distance improving overall draw performance. If so good news as well.

16. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Captain

If damage occurs at 90% than that 90% should be deemed "wrong". 100 % should be the maximum in a "safe range", and excess of 100% would be "unsafe", or else any % is irrelevant.

Mortlath and geostar1024 like this.
  17. Lomare

Lomare Ensign

Is anyone else noticing that the asteroid fields around Omicron as well as Akua are gone? I only noticed this as of today's patch.

It seems to be occurring both on an existing world as well as new games.
    install verified already. I'll submit the details if knowbody has seen it.

Kronoss likes this.
  18. Kronoss

Kronoss Captain

Yea I agree, if you push past 100% for too long the engines should shut down and need a "cool down" to restart. They should not get damaged per say, but the fact the engines shut down could have Interesting consequences. like "Oh god! Oh god! we're all going to die!".

19. Kronoss

Kronoss Captain

Yep they are gone plenty of bugs in this patch, I mean plenty.

Edit: After a reload they are back. It might have something to do with the draw distances they are working now.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017 at 12:12 PM
  20. groo42

groo42 Ensign

As another server admin and long time player.

I agree, the AI and the NPC selection of vehicle and ground based weapons is laughable, I am glad they are adding in shot dispersion on AI hitscan weapons, but they are lacking in general overall higher damage and ranged weaponry.
    let the AI have the same ship and base weapon systems the players have, maybe give them buffed versions of their current 2 that they have to go along with that, give them a slight advantage in weapons, it makes the players think more and worry more about assaulting NPC ships and bases.

I would also like to see better drones, it's not a challenge after you are able to put up 2 hover minigun turrets or 2 base auto cannon, or 2 30mm CV turrets the drone wave attacks are laughably easy, and really do nothing to endanger a starting player at that point, even a player on foot with tech 1 weapons can take out a wave of base attack drones with nothing more than expenditure of ammunition if they actually move around.

Just my added thoughts, let the flames at those of us wanting more of a challenge without dealing with flying brick pvp begin

Ankios likes this.