API Feedback and Suggestions

Discussion in 'Empyrion API' started by Jascha, Mar 8, 2017.

1. cmwhee

cmwhee Commander

Hey guys, great progress

I've looked at what you've got, and it seems like the swap and config manager should be pretty easy to build. I'm pretty excited because I've really wanted to start digging into empyrion mods for a while (I want to use your game as an RPG platform for my friends)

If you put this on github I can submit a PR that takes care of 1a and 1b by Monday.... Or you know, if you just say, "ok" I can put it on github myself

2. Jascha

Jascha Administrator

Yes please. Thats what the feedback is for.

Daede, XeroTerragoth and Dietrich like this.
  3. joemorin73

joemorin73 Captain

Some audit information. For example, for player deaths, who/what killed them. Modders can use it to generate death stats, kill stats and maybe even a Bounty system.

Daede, Stinefelt, saadow and 2 others like this.
  4. Jascha

Jascha Administrator

That would be really great.
    I cant do it the next days, but if you want just send me the changes.

XeroTerragoth and Dietrich like this.
  5. Jascha

Jascha Administrator

Look at the Event_Statistics
    It has a "PlayerDied" type.
    Here is the explanation to the values: // int1: player entity id, int2: death type(Unknown = 0, Projectile = 1, Explosion = 2, Food = 3, Oxygen = 4, Disease = 5, Drowning = 6, Fall = 7, Suicide = 8), int3 : (optional) other entity involved

Only thing missing at the moment is the player who killed him.

6. joemorin73

joemorin73 Captain

Sorry, I'm reading the code, I can't try it.

I see it now in the StatisticsType enum. This event occurs when a player dies? Then who killed would be all that is needed.

Will there be any complications for the following scenarios?
    - Player killed by other Player (Hand gun)
    - Player killed by pilot player (Fixed guns on ship)
    - Player killed by pilot player (Turrets)
    - Player killed by Base (No player, no turrets)

Daede and Jascha like this.
  7. joemorin73

joemorin73 Captain

When making a mod, am I wrong in thinking the "tool" part is not needed? (IE, a headless mod.)

Daede likes this.
  8. cmwhee

cmwhee Commander

Rockin, would you mind adding a readme that specifies a license, preferably Apache 2. (https://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0)

As the initial publisher, this should protect you like, in a bunch of ways, and it also enables me to say, "the only code I write is either for business, or on apache-licensed open source projects" which is awkwardly important to my job

Dietrich likes this.
  9. Jascha

Jascha Administrator

Will do so thanks for the reminder!

10. ButtonPusher

ButtonPusher Captain

This news makes me very excited for the future of this game and for the loving community that plays it! Hooray! \o/

Ermosp likes this.
  11. joemorin73

joemorin73 Captain

@Jascha will you be focusing more on the game mod API with Eleon now? Or will you still be maintaining EAH?

12. stimdealer0001

stimdealer0001 Captain

I'd imagine modding and EAH are both pretty high priority for Jascha and the team.

I would recommend starting up either a new section in the forums' main page for mods, or append one to the Hangar Bay, to include a section for non-modders with ideas to make suggestions and requests. Any thoughts?

13. joemorin73

joemorin73 Captain

I see EAH becoming a mod itself.

Perhaps the Hangar bay could be expanded. Code/Game Mods vs Playfield mods.

14. LiftPizzas

LiftPizzas Rear Admiral

This sounds like a way to do remote server administration.

Is this something where I could for example make a new weapon that behaves like the redeemer in Unreal Tournament? Or add a new NPC type and write its behavior AI?

banksman45 and ButtonPusher like this.
  15. joemorin73

joemorin73 Captain

I don't think you can make anything custom (NPC, blocks, etc.) at this time.

16. Jascha

Jascha Administrator

The last month EAH was used to create the Mod. So we will further develop new functions wih the devs in EAH. But every function we develop is also directly included in this mod (its the same we use). So focus on EAH means focus on mod :).

Just one thing to the maybe confusing name "Mod". So far its not altering the game itself in the sense of what many asked for. Like designing new items, AI-Behavior or "code/scripting". At the moment the mod can only work with game mechanics or game mechanics to come.

So for example it might give you access one day to the block system to problematically create a ship, wall or whatever, without a blueprint. Or you could trigger certain behavior by coordinates or events. So it is a simple mod for now. But still allows you to change quite some things.

But maybe one day the mod develops also into the direction of really scripting the game by yourself... but that lays in the future.

The devs created the mod so that we can start and bring in our own ideas and allow more variety of server. But they need to focus on the game itself of course. So the mod will be extended bit by bit, but will not make extreme jumps every time (for now).

I wrote it down. Thanks.

banksman45 and joemorin73 like this.
  17. joemorin73

joemorin73 Captain

I understand. Perhaps "Mod" may not be the correct term for this. This is very much an API. Perhaps referring it as the Game API or similar will help people's expectation of what they can do.

banksman45 and ButtonPusher like this.
  18. ButtonPusher

ButtonPusher Captain

Mod creators can and definitely will use this if implemented to utilize a wide variety of stats collected from tracking, in order to create their mod and facilitate its functions properly. An example would be oh, making a custom mission that allows a player to obtain an epic weapon after so many kills with that particular weapon type (i.e. epic sniper awarded to player on reaching 500 kills with either the T1 or T2 sniper rifle, regardless of which is used). Other examples could be had from this and also be used with / for certain Steam achievements etc.

19. joemorin73

joemorin73 Captain

@Jascha In the ModInterface, when is Game_Update triggered?

20. dustinduse

dustinduse Commander

So.. This is like a "tie into game expose an API" for modding kinda kit here? If so Ill jump the train although my C# knowledge is limited. Read through all this.. Has anyone started playing with this? What are the current limitations?... I guess what Im asking is there any documentation at all?