API Feedback and Suggestions

Discussion in 'Empyrion API' started by Jascha, Mar 8, 2017.

1. joemorin73

joemorin73 Captain

You should be able to do this in any order. Are you also running EAH with it?

2. cmwhee

cmwhee Commander

Jascha and ButtonPusher like this.
  3. Art738

Art738 Ensign

Great work. The possibility of modifications, with a simple scripting language. Will make Empyrion the greatest game in history. I hope the developers understand this.

ButtonPusher likes this.
  4. ☣.C.H.U.D.☣

☣.C.H.U.D.☣ Captain

Haven't been back in a while...just checking in on the Green nets and the annoying borders...how's that coming along?
    I see you started building API software...thats amazing.you keep going the way you are and you will leave the rest of the Voxel games behind
    but i see Avrion sneaking up to your back door...stay vigilant.

ButtonPusher likes this.
  5. 7HzHetrodyne

7HzHetrodyne Lieutenant

MODS!!!! woot.

So, an IP pipe is cool. It seems it would allow the capability for modders to create their own client core platform. So, say a back end for CMS servers that show stats, interactive maps with updated player / object info. From what I'm reading this will run on the game server side (? correct me?) Then we can also create client side apps that run on a second screen - chat logs, player online trackers, remote server admin, automated server admin. All kinds of goodies! (oooohhhh... automated death counter for my stream overlay!!!! :rolleyes:)

One thing I can see here is access to in game gold. Might want to watch out for pay-to-play or character leveling services if you plan to lock this stuff down in the future.

Going out on a limb... Syslog,? SNMP ?

So, it's easy enough to implement security on the server side by sanitizing input at the socket. On the client side I have a problem letting random people writing C# code mods that run on my PC. To much access IMO. What I would like to see is <insert scripting language> implemented in a sandbox. Server side scripting should really be supported for the same reason.

That said, I do suppose I run Minecraft mods, which are Java, but I think it's a failing of Mojang to leave everybody's pants down to malicious code. As an admin / player you have to take some risk to trust mod authors, and most of us do it blindly. Every time I do, I can't help feeling a little gut wrench hoping I'm not sending my registry to China (yes they already have it I know!! :) )

This is what's gonna make the game. Kerbal, DayZ, Minecraft, WoW... most games. Each a great platform on their own, but it's what the community can hack in that really brings out the best!

Looking forward to it!

ButtonPusher likes this.
  6. ButtonPusher

ButtonPusher Captain

I see great things happening before my very eyes. I am glad to be here witnessing this as it happens. Keep it up people, the community is strong and this will bind us together and make great things happen for all players. I am very pleased with all of your work so far. Thank you.

7. joemorin73

joemorin73 Captain

I've succeeded in a couple of mods, but the Telnet not shared is a restricting issue. I am working on workarounds, but it is causing problems. More so, I feel it is more work than needed. Hopefully Eleon will correct this in the next update.

ButtonPusher likes this.
  8. CirrusMajor

CirrusMajor Commander

I do not want this to end up like SE. ...20 min server loading times:(

9. joemorin73

joemorin73 Captain

Not a concern right now. The mod ability is limited to server side only.

10. cmwhee

cmwhee Commander

guys, the fact that the network layer gets touched at all is purely because THIS mod is intended as a server manager over the network.

In the repo listed above, all the mod does is take game messages, and send them over the network, then receive incoming messages and send them to the game. The mod framework its self does message passing without the network

11. joemorin73

joemorin73 Captain

Agreed. I finished a smaller mod I've been using for practice that I will probably post soon. It's a basic "Death Messages" mod that announces a player's death and who killed them. It's a sample of simple a simple/minimal mod.

Unless I can send it to you @cmwhee and you can add it to the mod sample repository.

Jascha likes this.
  12. joemorin73

joemorin73 Captain

More issues that I came across this week-end while developing:
    • It appears that Empyrion will not read the mod folder if there is more than one assembly in the folder. In an attempt to make a config file for the mod using YamlDotNet, Empyrion stopped reading the folder.
    • Telnet is still an issue in regards to communicating to Empyrion. Since only one connection is permitted, telnet proxy is required. This becomes a challenging issue to initiate and maintain a connection. I've made a few attempts at a proxy, but have not had much success in keeping it stable. I will keep looking into this as people want to have EAH and their other mods working simultaneously.

13. ThalonMook

ThalonMook Lieutenant

Hi,

is it possible with this to get access to Autominers inventory?
    I only saw functions for player inventory or structures.
    Also can I manipulate the inventory of a cargo container?

Thx

CU
    Thalon

ButtonPusher likes this.
  14. joemorin73

joemorin73 Captain

Doesn't appear to be available yet.

15. cmwhee

cmwhee Commander

It's a public repo, just submit a pull request that includes your code. If you want help, I'm happy to help out

be sure to add a license to your folder though, I recommend: https://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0

16. cmwhee

cmwhee Commander

I'm also having this problem, I'm going to look into using fody to get around this

https://github.com/Fody/Costura

17. joemorin73

joemorin73 Captain

I don't like it. Not saying the idea is not good, but I don't work arounds. Adding a telnet proxy and now a assembly merge adds complexity and risk. I'm hoping this is looked into and addressed soon as this will hold back a lot of development.

18. cmwhee

cmwhee Commander

I mean, I agree that workarounds aren't great, but for the meantime they're ok. We're modding a game, which is practically the definition of "hacky workaround"

Also, I think the plan is to ditch telnet altogether, and replace it with the modding framework events because you know, it's telnet, and no one should be using it for anything.

joemorin73 likes this.
  19. joemorin73

joemorin73 Captain

I feel they should already have everything they need for plumbing. All I would like to see is some new CmdIds for chat and a new class for the chat payload.

20. cmwhee

cmwhee Commander

I don't understand that statement, but I agree that they need new cmdids

that was what jascha was asking for, event suggestions, for instance:

Event: Chat
    Data: Source, Destination|ALL, message

Request: Chat
    Data: Source, Destination|ALL, message