Building

Discussion in 'FAQ & Feedback' started by EleonGameStudios, Jun 26, 2015.

1. Nicro

Nicro Ensign

I would like the container items like containers, constructor, fuel tank and other objects that can hold item to drop them when they are destroyed by the drill, very annoying to loose all the items

2. mcsproot

mcsproot Commander

The components get added to your inventory.

3. Nicro

Nicro Ensign

I meant the items that is in the container, that you have stored there, not the building materials that it is made of

Eviscerator likes this.
  4. BlackStar7713

BlackStar7713 Lieutenant

A minor thing I would like to see is the ability to place Lights on slopes. Right now they only fit on the surface of a "cube"

N_Draakje and Eviscerator like this.
  5. Full Metal Panda

Full Metal Panda Lieutenant

I can't figure out how to get the large fabricator working. I have a generator and fuel tank, and the fab inventory is full of stuff but when I put things in the queue it just does nothing. What do I need to do for the base fabricator to work? It's on the base btw.

6. WolfAmaril

WolfAmaril Lieutenant

Are you sure the base it is in is powered on?

7. mcsproot

mcsproot Commander

The base will need an AI Core, Fuel Tank and Generator.

Also, you must then power on the base, by hovering the mouse over any power using item, and pressing Y (default power on/off button).

Eviscerator likes this.
  8. Full Metal Panda

Full Metal Panda Lieutenant

Thank you!

9. AprilMAXRush

AprilMAXRush Ensign

I believe Pgup Pgdwn rotates ramps

Last edited: Jun 28, 2015
  10. mcsproot

mcsproot Commander

I've found that when building ground vehicles and small vessels, it is very difficult to place a block next to another non-hull block. It keeps wanting to place it in mid-air, as though there was an invisible block in the way. There is a very small sweet spot I can find to attach the block. Also, this problem does not exist when attaching to a hull block.

11. WolfAmaril

WolfAmaril Lieutenant

It can get really annoying, especially with Ground Vehicles, to build underneath the "original" body of the vehicle.
    As this is generally required to make functional ground vehicles, perhaps there could be a way added to raise an in-progress ship off the ground?

12. Zeuch

Zeuch Lieutenant

Emm it works just like SE, hold ctrl or shift while move the blocks.

13. Silent_Ninja

Silent_Ninja Commander

For right now, Just get half-blocks and angel them correctly so there is a small hole you can see to access the fuel tank. MUCH less likely to get shot in a fight.

14. WolfAmaril

WolfAmaril Lieutenant

Well that's nice to know.
    I'm really hoping that one of the earlier updates includes either a guide or a tutorial of sorts.

15. Geneticus

Geneticus Lieutenant

Maybe instead of popping them into existence, we could have some levitating blocks and a Bay controller that would cause small blocks to hover off the ground in a garage type structure. then the new ship prefab would pop into existence there. If a player tried to short cut it by using only one hover block then any blocks overhanging the repulsion block would start to tilt as gravity pulled that part of the ship off the platform. That would also make for a cool racetrack... or a launch assist ramp for SVs.

16. WolfAmaril

WolfAmaril Lieutenant

I was having the same problem with building GVs and SVs and let me tell you this is the best damn idea I've heard to fix it so far.

17. Geneticus

Geneticus Lieutenant

I might also go as far as allowing the SV and GV grids to be changed from the cockpit so that the starter ship could be converted into either mode. Just need to make the "wrong" blocks flagged as non functional when in the wrong mode.

18. WolfAmaril

WolfAmaril Lieutenant

Oooh, I like the idea, but this might be one of those that is more trouble that it's worth to code on their end.

19. DVD Player

DVD Player Ensign

Also, after some Survival experience with building, I found myself somewhat frustrated with building on ground. I had to replace a cockpit on my skiff (ground vehicle), but I couldn't put it in place because there was no block underneath, and I couldn't just place its back against where it would be placed because my block placement was fixed on the middle of the part. So because of that, and the fact that the blocks will move where-ever your cursor is regardless if something can be built there or not, it would just want to be place in the middle of the craft where it can't be built. I ended up having to slap it on top of the vehicle, turn it on and float it off the ground, place a few blocks underneath so I could place the new cockpit, turn it off and drill away the cockpit, craft a new cockpit and some replacement parts, etc. Overall the process was way too long for something that really shouldn't have taken too much time.

Meanwhile, another issue with the blocks floating wherever your cursor was, the cockpit I was holding would blow up to massive proportions whenever my mouse went off my GV. This was obnoxious because it basically blinded me. Another bonus of blocks only appearing where they can be built would mean that you can avoid this sort of thing when building vehicles. Also, perhaps make it so that blocks exclusive to GV and SV grids would not even appear as models when you're facing your cursor on BA or CV grids.

20. Geneticus

Geneticus Lieutenant

There is something bothering me about block placement that I can't quite put my finger on.
    While I like the option of carrying around pre-built blocks in my inventory I would also like some blocks to be assembled out of components if you have them.
    Maybe some kind of variation using Girder blocks as a stand in, where you need to build a generic frame (different types?) and then can build the frame into certain blocks of the appropriate type if you have the components in hand. Sort of like a stand in to be able to lay out a base/ship without needing all of the components up front.
    Maybe your suit could be upgraded to increase the "Tier" of blocks you can build from a sub frame?

Something like this:
    • Player builds a power frame block in the constructor
    • Player places the power frame block on a grid.
    • Player loads up components, aims at the block and hits a menu key
    • Player can initially only build small fuel storage or small generator with that frame
    • Components are removed from inventory
    • Player adds upgrade to suit equipment screen
    • Player places another power frame block
    • Now player can build it into large Fuel storage or more powerful generator.