Building

Discussion in 'FAQ & Feedback' started by EleonGameStudios, Jun 26, 2015.

1. MrpartyDonuy

MrpartyDonuy Ensign

2. Ambush In The Night

Ambush In The Night Lieutenant

Yes, nobody wants a boring gameplay! Maybe just for blocks who demand the most energy.
    It would be nice to consider this aspect when we have a project to build base or capital vehicle:
    "-So ok, I want to creat my machinery room here, my production here and my medical room over there.
    -I can place my power cable here for supply my constructors and my generators ... or maybe here... or somewhere else!"

3. piddlefoot

piddlefoot Rear Admiral

Power cables are what redstone is to minecraft.
    That is a micro block inside another block area is how that would work.
    This is something that could bring alot of lag to the game.
    I dont want layable cables to any machines or devices.
    The power through the grid idea they have now is far better for pc performance.
    This game does not have devices like in minecraft to take advantage of circuitry and advanced switches, they would be a waste of time really.
    The subnautica build system is basically what we were describing with the MATTER GUN idea.

4. Axios

Axios Commander

I kinda (not really) Like the building system/format. But i think we should get the option to chose what sized blocks we want to work with, as well have something like a advanced build mode, like in the game starmade. Here is my video showing off a creation via advanced build mode:

imnebuddy likes this.
  5. Nicro

Nicro Ensign

The matter gun sounds like a nice idea, had a similar idea where there was some kind of Construction Gun that was loaded with Metal Plates and could construct any building block for the exterior, so frustrating to wait for the constructor to finish up 1 by 1 of the hull blocks when you need like 50 to 60 pieces, but you are not entirely sure what form the hull should have, for example if it should be a Hull block, a Hull Slope or a Hull corner. Then the Construction Gun could build anyone of this depending on the mode it was set too and consumed the required number of Metal plates.

Also love the idea of the Garage and a place where you could levitate you block for the ground, or have some kind of prefab you created and then just added the blocks for the vessel to complete. Maybe as easy as a hover engine for base turned upside down, that could levitate block of the ground. An upside down hover engine for base would also be a nice place to be able to park a GV without slamming it into the ground.

Eviscerator likes this.
  6. mcsproot

mcsproot Commander

Hopefully further down the line we can have moving blocks. Things like rotating radar dishes (could be decorative or have a function, such as detecting enemies), or the ability to make sliding doors etc. Unless the hangar shields on the premade capital ship will be able to stop weapon fire, a sliding door could be used to seal off the hangar and protect you from missiles and boarding.

Eviscerator likes this.
  7. Geneticus

Geneticus Lieutenant

I was talking more about placing item INTO the constructor without having to drop them individually.

8. BlackStar7713

BlackStar7713 Lieutenant

I don't think even a large amount of redstone can have a noticeable impact on performance, as long as the pc was manufactured within the last decade... otherwise it's not recommended to play anything besides minesweeper and solitaire on it..

9. Devlah

Devlah Ensign

I don't really see the need to further complicate the building system. Given the technology level in-game compared to what we're beginning to see now in real-life it could easily be explained that during the production process there are micro conduits for both oxygen and power built into the various blocks which allows both oxygen and power to be transmitted throughout any structure with contiguous connections.

We're already seeing 3D printed houses in real-life where the conduits and plumbing are already part of the walls. Furthermore we already know that wireless power is a thing, we have small charging devices for cell phones and the like, and were it not for corporate greed, Nicola Tesla had already worked out how to transmit wireless power over greater distances. I'm fairly certain that given the developments that allow artificial gravity and all-purpose constructors that just spit out components and finished products that fit inside a box about the size of a chest freezer, that having unobtrusive connections for our powered systems is not all that out of place in the setting of this game.

Eviscerator likes this.
  10. Therebil

Therebil Ensign

I had an idea for building that might help with getting under vehicles and such to put on landing gear and other blocks (which to me has been the most annoying/difficult part of building). What if there was a tractor beam turret so you can get in and turn it on lock onto your ship your building and then lift it off the ground and move it around and stuff then get out and the turret holds it there so that you can then easily build on any part of the ship without having to like dig holes and stuff to get under it.

11. BlackStar7713

BlackStar7713 Lieutenant

You know how OP that was if you could just lift off a creature attacking your base? xD I approve :D

12. Ambush In The Night

Ambush In The Night Lieutenant

Hi everyone!

I don't think so. The game just stock the data of block like a variable or boolean therefore no impact the graphical card (e.g. color=red, damage=50, power=True).

It can bring some reflexion when we build something. Avoids to place blocks just for fill the space! :D

That's exactly what I thinking. In game, Hull Block need 2 metal plates and Interior Block 1 metal plates + 1 cables. So why not consider these block's components during the building? It could make a real difference between interior and exterior blocks.

I've make a screenshot to better understand the idea:
    View attachment 392

13. BlackStar7713

BlackStar7713 Lieutenant

I like that too, but we definitely need to be able to colo(u)r them

Shadefang likes this.
  14. AprilMAXRush

AprilMAXRush Ensign

Right clk worked. Although I don't notice that I claim any resource. No biggy. Thx

15. Silent_Ninja

Silent_Ninja Commander

There is a color tool you can craft.

16. BlackStar7713

BlackStar7713 Lieutenant

But only works on hull blocks currently, not on interior blocks

17. DVD Player

DVD Player Ensign

Wiring seems like a bad idea to me. Having the blocks network together makes perfect sense; I'm still of the opinion that a conveyor system would be welcome. Power alone makes sense, but being able to tuck all your systems inside the hull with a connection point for refilling/refueling has been a system I've loved about Space Engineers. It was fairly simple, too. You just slapped on the conveyor pipes to the connection points and link it all together.

Eviscerator and Devlah like this.
  18. JayCo

JayCo Commander

The generator for SV and GV is a small cylindrical generator only for those grid sizes.
    The small generator is the basic one for bases and motherships/starships, there is a large generator also available for CV and BA but it requires components which can only be built once you have created a small ship and flown to the asteroid belt and searched around there for an orange ore, This generator produces 10 times the power output of the small one.

mcsproot likes this.
  19. JayCo

JayCo Commander

You can its right mouse button, but some of the items have highly increased armour values at present to prevent early game overs due to having drones or other enemies from a 2 shot destruction of your most needed items like power and construction machines

mcsproot likes this.
  20. JayCo

JayCo Commander

only trouble is that video just shows the final product, for demonstrating a building process we need to see that process not what was built by it!!!! Any chance of a video showing you building something in that advanced building mode so we get the idea.... some of us have not played starmade !!!!!!!!!!