Cannot Start Game. Some sort of "Themida" Issue.

Discussion in 'Site / Forum Help & Feedback' started by malachar, Aug 7, 2015.

1. malachar

malachar Ensign

[​IMG]

This is all that pops up when I click play.

I don't have any active AV or Firewalls running.

I have tried verifying files, and deleting local content and re-installing.

Any thoughts or tips?

Edit: additional details. Running 64bit Vista [i know, vista is bad, nothing I can do, pc was a gift]
    Additional Edit- in case anyone makes an assumption, I do indeed own the game, it isn't cracked or modified in any way.

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198044352348

Last edited: Aug 7, 2015
  2. RobDog

RobDog Commander

3. malachar

malachar Ensign

Google is indeed a great thing, but it only helps if you already know exactly what to search for, and aren't working of an obscure error message for some sort of anti-hack program, so I could do without that snide comment that assumes googling and self troubleshooting wasn't my first path.

As I mentioned, I've already taken steps to disable interfering AV as was suggested. So the first link is moot.

The second link doesn't even pertain to the same error messages.

As it stands now, i'm currently uninstalling the aforementioned non-active antivirus, to see if it's affecting it by some chance. Will post results later.

Update: Same style of error, different address now.
    [​IMG]

Further Update: It seems that the address changes with each attempted reinstall.

Further googling makes it seem as though Themida is some form of aggressive DRM bordering on virus software used to corrupt files if you try to crack or alter them. Other steam games and programs are not affected. It would seem it comes packaged with Empyrion like Maplestory apparently does.

Musings: The thing that's supposed to make sure I bought the game isn't letting me play the game. Good ol DRM.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2015
  4. RobDog

RobDog Commander

Was not being snide, just trying to help. You can read all the posts I've ever made and see I'm not a smart a$$ jerk to folks. I don't know if someone is 8 or 40, what their tech background is so I don't assume anything.

I ran out to get the first possible troubleshooting path possible to hopefully help a fellow EGS player get in the game ASAP to enjoy like most of us are.

I apologize for not being helpful and inadvertently agitating you.

Hope you get it resolved soon.

5. malachar

malachar Ensign

No problem. Tone is never carried over the interwebs. And I am not one to hold a grudge.

I've scoured about every link I could find on the first 3 pages of google. All I've found is that Themida apparently causes these issues quite a bit.

It still makes me sad that aggressive DRM to stop pirates [that's also used to write viruses] is stopping me from a game I've been waiting anxiously to play. I even didn't go for a pre-order discount just to support the devs..

6. RobDog

RobDog Commander

I'll see if I can help further after work today. Got a couple of ideas but don't want to put them on open forum.

7. piddlefoot

piddlefoot Rear Admiral

A good place to get advice on all WINDOWS versions is here.........

http://www.eightforums.com/

You can ask a question there and its usually answered really fast and I have resolved some troublesome problems at that site.
    There are a lot of very experienced Windows users there.
    And a few Microsoft fanboys ! So don't mention Ubunti or Linux ! lol

8. malachar

malachar Ensign

I'm interested in any thoughts as I have no clue where to go with the issue at this point.

9. OzenRay

OzenRay Commander

this error i got it too and after long hour's of research i found a fix of that and what is so first let's fix them !

Fix : (My side work hope it will too)

Go to you Root game folder Right click on empyrion.exe and go to compatiblity and unmark start has Admin, now it done start the game via the exe in the root game folder and good game.

Why ?!? :
    Microsoft has lunch with windows 10 a software that will attemping to block game how are crack, microsoft try to find user how have cracked game via DRM lock/free with my research that i have understand, but like every program/game they have bug or other thing like that so maybe is why ? anyway :p tell me if the fix work for you !

10. malachar

malachar Ensign

Unfortunately my "run as admin" is grayed out, and I can't test this one.

11. Arturius1967

Arturius1967 Captain

Can it be, you user account on your windows does not have adminisrator rights ?
    If it is so, this can be the reason for the problem.

12. malachar

malachar Ensign

Apparenty it's because I have UAC disabled. [making running as administrater redundant and uncecessary]

I'm beginning to think my comp may just not be powerful enough, thankfully I'm getting a massive upgrade soon. Thanks to everyone who has tried to help though.

13. Arturius1967

Arturius1967 Captain

Did you try to start the game via doubleclicking the EXE, not from Steam ?
    This worked for the other guy.

If this not work, there is one last thing you can try:

If you are using the default windows account (this one which was created at instalation time)

1. Make new windows account with admin rights.
    2. Try to start the game with the new account.

This helped me for sever mysterious game starting problems.