[Challenge] CIVILIAN buildings

Discussion in 'Questions, Discussions & Feedback' started by Hummel-o-War, Nov 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oojimaflip

oojimaflip Captain

Just in case anyone was wondering...

[​IMG]

Building count is currently standing at 28, think I still have a few ideas left ;)

2. Kieve

Kieve Rear Admiral

That reminds me, I'm about 90% done with the Mole Hole. Just need the time to finish it off, which has been hard to come by lately.

oojimaflip likes this.
  3. Fractalite

Fractalite Rear Admiral

I confess I am having trouble with this challenge - this topic creates something of an internal conflict in me:

- Do I try to create a cool alien settlement that resists the xenophobic creation of a caricature and tries to keep things toned down in an attempt at imagining alien realism(which is impossible but a neat challenge?)

- Or do I go nuts and let the inventor/artist in me out?

I am increasingly wanting to use this game for art, and I woke up this morning envisioning several different human/or "other" occupancies not for this thread, but that are just wondrous visual and spacial displays... So far I have been mostly balanced.... mostly, but it is tricky.

So how to keep the two separate?

Last night I recruited @Savinwraith and he said he would be interested in tinkering with some of the structures in the lineup. So bringing in outside perspectives to ask for help might assist with things...

We shall see.

4. michaelhartman89

michaelhartman89 Rear Admiral

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 14, 2016
    Kaeser and Dinkelsen like this.
  5. SacredGlade

SacredGlade Captain

Just finished browsing through all of the amazing designs contained in this thread. I am not a builder, so I just wanted to throw out an idea I had for a civilian complex that may trigger inspiration for one of the talented designers. How about a lakeside port facility? especially when the developers had teased underwater craft as a work in progress. Structures could include - the jetty, lighthouse/beacon, warehouse, cranes, customs, harbor master building, lifeboat/vessel house, refueling stations, marketplace etc. Not sure how POI placement works and if you can set to be on coasts etc- so this may be impractical, if not, I apologize for my ignorance!

6. michaelhartman89

Hey hummel, i uploaded this prematurely. I still need to add a few more lcds with the room prices and get rid of the growing plots and add a sitting area where the are currently

7. Uncle Rhythm Tom

Uncle Rhythm Tom Ensign

Heres a base/civilian hybrid. Could be a good use for a "capital building" or something. I'd like to make some more civilian buildings (smaller and easier for modular use) but a couple SV's and a big CV are holding me back currently. If anyone likes this or want to see more projects like this feedback is appreciated. I try to hammer things out when I can ;).

Link to the BP: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=816774907

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Kaeser, Blimy and Kieve like this.
  8. Andre Merrick

Andre Merrick Commander

9. Frigidman

Frigidman Rear Admiral

You may want to give the OP a re-read. You kind of missed the point of this challenge. Not saying what you have isn't a great structure, but its not valid here. May I suggest the general "Bases" thread?

Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
    Fractalite and Kieve like this.
  10. Willow

Willow Ensign

It was suggested that I post some of my buildings here, however I'm not sure they match the current requirements, so I hope I'm not taking up space here. Unfortunately I'm experiencing that naughty 'light reset' bug so the other buildings I have which would work look terrible until that is resolved. The collection of buildings that everyone has posted here are simply amazing!

Sahara Towers
    Diamond Towers
    Christmas Tree

11. Fractalite

Fractalite Rear Admiral

Frigidman likes this.
  12. michaelhartman89

I just went in to my buildings and simplified them removing all base materials and added more decorative items. These are civilian structures to be used for modular cities. Any base can be remodeled to meet the requirements. Your's is pretty sweet and with a few min altering it, it could make a nice courthouse or Government building

13. Frigidman

Frigidman Rear Admiral

Hehe, looks fine ;) I just couldn't get that image out of my head from before.

I still like the set of very alien tech buildings you got going on there. They all have a sense of purpose, but being really unconventional. Piece n mixing all them would make interesting setups for sure!

Are they fragile as fragile can be? I mean, one slightly drunken night with a T2 shotgun, wouldn't bring the whole thing down, right?

Fractalite likes this.
  14. Fractalite

Fractalite Rear Admiral

I was half afraid of something along the lines of the building squatting and "blue feces".... :D:eek:

I know it is a long shot that they will be included in the game, but I am glad that the challenge was opened up to the possibility of an alien-themed motif. I hope that they do manage to make it onto at least a few servers and provide an interesting change of pace, but even if they do not make it there, then at least they will help to stimulate the imagination.

As far as fragility is concerned; they are all rock-solid with the exceptions being the very obvious alien p-gen and fuel station, but even then, the fuel station is not as bad as it might seem from looking at it(although I should probably still tweak things a bit.... somehow....) but the power station is a tad sensitive on the very tippy top. Despite this fragility, it does not fall down, and it is terrain-dependent - with some terrain it seemed more "green" than with others, and I am still not quite sure why that is? If spawned from the game's algorithm onto flat ground, it will be fine.

"I mean, one slightly drunken night with a T2 shotgun, wouldn't bring the whole thing down, right?"

Not gonna lie; I was just booking a flight to Germany and grumbling at the costs and whisper-like fee's that the airlines charge you, when I got this notification in my gmail inbox. Gave me a good chuckle. :) In fact I break out chuckling now and again when I imagine this scene:

Frigidman, a famous, but now-retired explorer, staggering home after a long night at the local alien pub, crashing into the lobby of the alien apartment complex, drunkenly waving around a T2 Shotgun, begins to recount a tale of peerless exploits to whomever will listen, which, supposing he was more lucid, would have dawned on him was the surrounding air.

"Yoush know, I ush to be a damn fine pilo...."

*stumbling on a tentacle-like protrusion projecting from the ground, Frigidman, our most sure-footed, agile, still-retired, and somewhat grizzled hero, almost falls over but recovers just in time by grabbing a nearby computer console*

*Which then sets off a loud buzzing noise like a thousand, thousand mosquitoes, and a bright red pulsing light*

"Whaz that?!"

*Now frantically pin-wheeling about, and much to the amazement of the surrounding alien tenants beginning to enter the lobby retiring for the night, he begins swatting at the air as though trying to strike the mosquitoes surrounding him*

"Get away! I gonna get yoush!"

Frigidman's temperament then shifts dramatically on a violent drunken impulse*

"Yoush ain't goona run frum mesh!"

*Evidently feeling as though his hands were not having the desired effect, Frigidman whips up his shotgun, jacks a round into the barrel, and begins to let rip at the still invisible mosquitoes buzzing all around him* *BLAM* *BLAM* *BLAM*

*This sends the occupants of the building screaming into the surrounding countryside... and, despite pledged aid from the Terran Federation, sets back alien perceptions of Terrans in the nearby settlements for several decades*

The end. :)

SacredGlade, Kieve and Frigidman like this.
  15. Fractalite

Fractalite Rear Admiral

Stupid f@%king spellcheck, that is "swatting" instead of "Squatting"

*sigh*

Frigidman likes this.
  16. Kieve

Kieve Rear Admiral

This needs its own story-post in the RP forum.
    [​IMG]
    Fluffin' brilliant.

Fractalite likes this.
  17. Uncle Rhythm Tom

Uncle Rhythm Tom Ensign

Here's a dam I built a while ago and I actually made this in a survival server so it forced me to get crafty but just recently I got back around to it and fixed the bottom. It was made before alpha 4.3 but still looks pretty nice. Only thing is there's a 2-3 block bottom space that is required to be submerged so it fits right. May do a rework on some of the textures and a couple item placements.

Link to the BP if you want to check it out: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=799789850

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Server images when I first built it (it gets LOUD in here lol):

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2-3 block bottom that will be submerged:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Another server shot with better view of the lighting:

[​IMG]

18. SacredGlade

SacredGlade Captain

well done to those who have their creations appearing in experimental v5.0 - great job!

19. Gh0stZ3r0

Gh0stZ3r0 Ensign

20. Frigidman

Frigidman Rear Admiral

I give up... keep spamming this thread with giant off topic works. Nevermind me for trying to keep things on track.

Looking at all the workshop links, they all have the same spammed message from michaelhartman89 saying these structures should be added to this thread. o_O Thanks michaelhartman89. :rolleyes:

michaelhartman89 and Fractalite like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.