Crafting

Discussion in 'FAQ & Feedback' started by EleonGameStudios, Jun 26, 2015.

1. EleonGameStudios

EleonGameStudios Developer Staff Member

• Developer
    What do you think about the current crafting system?
    - Are templates meaningful
    - Too complicated / not deep enough
    - Craft time and output numbers
    - Constructor GUI
    - Other feedback?

Trendane and Tyrax Lightning like this.
  2. Nicro

Nicro Ensign

I Think the crafting works, but the views with tings that you can make is maybe a little bit small, and the queue is maybe a little bit big in comparison, also there is no way of removing things from the queue except with removing the raw material it uses.

Eviscerator likes this.
  3. Michael Robison

Michael Robison Ensign

Yeah, I'd like to see a way to remove items from the crafting queue

imnebuddy and Eviscerator like this.
  4. MrSpades

MrSpades Lieutenant

That crafting in this game is BEAUTIFUL. We do need to be able to stop items in queue for sure.

imnebuddy, o0Bram0o and Eviscerator like this.
  5. MrSpades

MrSpades Lieutenant

Ok so is there reverse engineering yet? I need cobalt but cannot find it yet, however, I made a fridge for a spaceship by accident and I would like to place it in something and get all the components back. Is this possible?

Nymea likes this.
  6. Almostpilot

Almostpilot Ensign

yeah, i can´t remove itens from construction queue.....

imnebuddy and Eviscerator like this.
  7. rusty

rusty Ensign

Try placing the object, then use the drill and right click to destroy and recover the parts

8. MasterChief11715

MasterChief11715 Ensign

For me the crafting in this game needs some quality-of-life- improvements.
    The problem with the current system is that players have to build a lots of sub-parts before they can create something complex like an thruster or constructor. I would like to see, that I can just click on the Item I wand, and the constructor automatically starts building the parts that are needed to build it.

Nick, fractalman, Chief 117 and 4 others like this.
  9. Nicro

Nicro Ensign

Maybe be able to have an advanced version of the constructor that can auto craft all the required components for the device or object that the player is trying to create?

10. mcsproot

mcsproot Commander

Some improvements I think really need to be made:

One click construction for finished items. If you have the raw materials needed to build all of the components, clicking on a complex item should queue up the appropriate sub items and then the finished item itself.

The UI needs cleaning up in general, it's a bit too small on my monitor. Directional Thruster is very difficult to read due to the word having to fit into a small space. The ability to resize (or just make them larger) the crafting menu and constructor inventory areas would be helpful. Trying to find what you want when the UI only shows 2 or 3 rows of items can get a bit tricky.

Removing items from the queue really needs to happen. I know, pre-alpha, and it's probably planned, but just saying. Or if there is a way to do it currently, I don't know how, other than removing the components.

The ability to quickly move items into the constructor inventory. If it exists already, I don't know how. When I shift click an item in my inventory while using a constructor, it puts it on my hotbar. If my hotbar is full, it seems the item is destroyed. So I currently have to click an item, move it over to the constructor inventory, and click to place it.

Otherwise, this seems to be a good starting point for a crafting system.

11. Ambush In The Night

Ambush In The Night Lieutenant

Hi everyone!
    I tend to agree with the other comments, for me the constructor GUI is too small. Produce small component is a good idea but need too much manipulation to do something.

I try to find a composing with photoshop (quick and dirty...!!) to optimize the navigation, just for few ideas:

Original: [​IMG]

Mod: [​IMG]

-split into two parts with colors (the player's inventory and the constructor) for better viewing
    -inventory and template windows more large to reduce click and scroll
    -selected item windows for show you how many components are requirement (avoids to switch with the template's tabs). Idea: missing components can be highlighted in red and can be produce with just one click.
    -buttons for pause, clear... the construction queue.

I hope you like suggestions and sorry for my bad english :D

Last edited: Jun 27, 2015
  12. Full Metal Panda

Full Metal Panda Lieutenant

Queue management needs work. Obviously as everyone has said you need to be able to remove items from the queue, but also when you add finished items into the construction queue that don't have the required components the icon is red but it still allows you to put it in the queue. This is good because you can chain the production, however when the item comes up for production and there isn't enough of the requirements it just skips over it and removes it from the queue. So when I go back to the fabricator i am looking for the thing I just queued, but it's not there. Perhaps leave it in the queue so the user knows it did not complete.

Being able to rearrange items would be good too. So if you are chaining components and finished items you can arrange them visibly rather than just stacking all components together.

Also having more information about amounts would be nice. When you hover over an item it tells you the requirements to build it with the items you have in green, but it would be nice to have the number of items in your (fabricator's) inventory so you can more easily how many you can make.

13. DVD Player

DVD Player Ensign

It would help if crafting was either sped up or simplified. Getting the resources is no problem, but I actually have to spend hours at the crafting bench getting the components and parts needed to actually build something; getting anything done seems to take hours where I'd rather be exploring or expanding my own base.

14. Geneticus

Geneticus Lieutenant

Can you make the hover tip on the recipe also show the total you have of an item? like this : Electronics: 4/26 in green - Item requires 4 but you have 26 on hand. OR Electronics 4/2 in red

Also make the scroll wheel work on the container section the mouse is hovering on.

Bonsai likes this.
  15. Geneticus

Geneticus Lieutenant

Nice mockup! Maybe a little smaller (less columns) so there is room for tooltips...

imnebuddy and Dark Angel Gaming like this.
  16. Dark Angel Gaming

Dark Angel Gaming Ensign

I agree with geneticus on that. its hard to scroll the the crafing recipes to get the one you want. also, it seems that the middle mouse wheel doesn't seem to work for scrolling through your options.

17. Ambush In The Night

Ambush In The Night Lieutenant

Thanks! :)
    Yeah you're right, I've forget that! And maybe my windows size are a few extreme in proportion:D.
    The default slot windows seem to be the same for all resolution screens (flat png image). And the most difficult for developers (but the best way, I think) will be to create a dynamic layout that matches with all of them (as a website page with auto-width, height, columns...).

Bonsai and Dark Angel Gaming like this.
  18. Haraldson

Haraldson Ensign

For me it works but some ideas:

- As this game is oriented on Space Engineers why i cant produce Devices and teh Construction Queue takes all what he need from the Inventory? Example: i choose small generator and if he have all needed items in the Inventory he craft it . . . no need to make every single part self

- more Tooltipps even how many ore i need for how many ingots . . . sometimes i dont understand how many parts i must craft . . . make it more "plannable" so that i know: i need X ironore for x ironingots for x metal parts and so on

- as the other say: better overview . . . sometimes i think its too small and in the small window i can scroll 1 hour (hope you know what i mean) --> as i sayed as this game lean on Space Engineers look there . . . i think its not a theft when you take good parts of another game and make them better or fit it for you game

-- maybe that he can take the parts he need also from the player inventory so i dont have to do them all in the inventory of the constructor

19. BlackStar7713

BlackStar7713 Lieutenant

I don't think the game tries to imitate or orient itself towards SE. It might be inspired by it, but it strives to be much more.

20. Jake9123

Jake9123 Ensign

- its ok

-both....... i feel that an "end game" fabricator could be added so you can just select anything and itll try to make all the prerequisite parts.. so there is less clicking and dragging... i feel there is too much micromanagement

-seem pretty good for now i havent had any issues

-needs to be bigger, auto stack materials, exc... feels too cluttered right now

-again too much micromanagement

WolfAmaril likes this.