Crafting

Discussion in 'FAQ & Feedback' started by EleonGameStudios, Jun 26, 2015.

1. Nick

Nick Commander

I'm the same and honestly I think most players are too.

I appreciate that they want an advanced variant which is better, to provide a sense of achievement / progression. But they've done it by making the earlier version more annoying than it needs to be. Players seeking ways around that outside of the game is to be expected and lamented.

The advanced constructor is already 30% faster. And there are other things it could do better. Eg recycle things back into their base ores. Draw materials from attached / nearby cargo containers. Be more material efficient, like 5%. That wouldn't affect most single crafts but if you queued up 100 of something you'd only pay the materials for 95 of them.

Etc. etc. etc.

2. Tyrax Lightning

Tyrax Lightning Rear Admiral

Like being able to set Units of 10 to Craft, could use a way to set Units of 100 as well.

3. Woodscraps

Woodscraps Ensign

Just got the game a couple days ago, playing offline and easy mode.

I thought I had a glitch in the game but it turned out my generator was turned off, though I had fuel in the tank.

Maybe a status indicator on the constructor saying "no power" would be both helpful and reduce frustration. I don't mind troubleshooting when the clues are easy to look for, but I had to google that question, lol. Command and Conquer had a voice come on and say when the base had a low power situation. Maybe a status board for the base would be cool.

Tyrax Lightning likes this.
  4. Tyrax Lightning

Hotkey Y while the Crosshairs are on any inner Block of your Base or CV quick toggles your Base Power/CV Power on & off & also does same for your HV & SV if ya use it while in that Vehicle's Cockpit. (Can also seem to be able to 'Y' CV power on & off from its Outer Blocks too, dunno if this is intended behavior or not though.) Getting a game's Hotkeys learned & memorized can be one of the 'New to Game buggers', I know this all too well, especially when my RL Memory is trash at best. Also can use Hotkey P in your Base on various stuffs to bring up the Base's Control Panel & can then use Check Boxes to turn off & on individual or Grouped Components to manage what ya spend your Fuel on, & some stuff like Turrets have Check Box Settings for stuff specifically related to them, like telling the Turret what & what not to spend its Ammo on.

Hope this helps. :)

5. jk5325

jk5325 Ensign

Hey all, first off i'd like to say that the game is great.
    I feel that blueprints in survival mode take too long to produce. Some of the larger CV's require 20000+ iron and thats just one of the resources required to make it. Then after spending all the time mining for those resources i have to wait 72 hours for it to be produced. That is 72 play hours, not like the clock stays active when i'm not playing.
    Now i'm aware that it'll take some time to build, but if it must take 72 hours could you make it in game hours?

6. Shootme

Shootme Commander

you can reduce time by add component instead of ingots... for me SV crafting was reduce from 55min to 3min... and a CV with 8h it was decrease to 34min

(it was explain in the patch note.... ><' )

7. rinzan

rinzan Ensign

Bandage should be crafted by constructors instead of Food Processor, because it is NOT edible/injectable.

Purified Water should be crafted not only by constructors but also by Food Processor, because it is used for both engineering and cooking.

8. Trendane

Trendane Lieutenant

I am a huge fan of deep crafting systems. Harvesting the resources to build the tools to harvest resources more efficiently to make the materials to make the components to make the parts to make the items........just...fills me with joy!

I'd like to preface this feedback by saying that I recognize that this is still Alpha (1.4.4 0405 as of this writing) and there are more implementations and changes on the road ahead.

- Are templates meaningful
    They definitely feel quite relevant to the needs of the player as they progress through the game and make larger/more complex structures/constructors. There is certainly room for growth.

- Too complicated / not deep enough
    I would say that the crafting system is deep enough, but it could be wider. In my somewhat limited experience thus far, it's rather easy to barrel through to a point where there is little challenge to advancement. Knowing exactly what you're doing makes the Survival Constructor a bullet train to success. Granted, the same thing could be said of Minecraft (or just about anything). Knowing exactly what you need to do makes progression much easier. The crafting system really only feels relevant in the early to mid-game. Once you get to the Advanced Constructor, there's little involvement with the player. We simply dump resources into it and tell it what we want. It handles the rest.

- Craft time and output numbers
    These feel fine to me. Not too long as to leave me waiting around (but I usually have other tasks to work on while the build is happening), and not so fast as to be too easy.

- Constructor GUI
    Very efficient. I especially like the color coding of the Advanced Constructor where items which you do not have the resources to make are tinted red, and items you have the materials to make but will require the construction of components first are tinted yellow. Other constructors could do the same thing, but the process should remain un-automated.

- Other feedback
    - Survival Constructor : Great as it is. Its function is defined perfectly in its name and it shouldn't really do more than it does. If there is one thing I would say needs to be changed/added, it would be some sort of power requirement. It doesn't have to be anything extreme...maybe just a couple of Promethium pellets per hour to keep it running.

- The Factory : I'm counting this as part of the crafting system, even though the player has little, direct control over it. First off, where exactly is The Factory? It's not a part of any of the constructors as far as I can tell. I would say that it is immersion breaking, but the player is not required to use it if they do not wish to, so that argument holds no weight. But it is a bit odd that it is this ethereal game feature that operates within the game but doesn't really exist there. At the very least, it feels as though The Factory should not be accessible in single player, non-creative mode.

- Scanners & Drones : With the continued expansion of the Tech Tree, which I'll discuss in another thread, it would seem that the construction of various scanners and, eventually, drones would be useful.

- Deco Items : I suspect that this will eventually expand to the point that they are not simply decorative (especially the radar dish). The one thing I would like to see change about this is the materials cost. If these items are going to have no function, then they should not have a material cost.

9. Tyrax Lightning

1: I don't think the Survival Constructor really needs a Fuel Cost. Even past the beginning of the game it can still perform grunt tasks like performing Emergency Fuel Making, crafting Rock Dust into Cement that's wanted eventually, but no hurry to get it done, or for quick Salami making. If anything I find it Facepalming that so many people blow up their Survival Constructor instead of recycling its use, so if anything it might be slightly UP. :p

2: I strongly suspect the possibility that the Factory, like many other Implementations in this game, is a band aid fix till the REAL System is Implemented, similar to how Guns used to have band aid fix 'Infinite Ammo for no reason at all whatsoever' till the Ammo Crafting, Ammo Interface, & Ammo Boxes got Implemented... & how we have the Temporary Planets & Temporary Liquid Systems. Someday Factories that are built & can act like Shipyards may become a thing later down the road. :)

Fully agree that i'd like to see all or at least most of the Deco Items get a use someday. I agree with people's ideas on the Radar Dish bein good for more Radar Sight Range &/or better aiming &/or some such, Beds for resting in & Chairs for sitting in, Consoles for Interfacing with stuff to do cool things like Man Turrets from them, hold & operate Programs for stuff like Trap Doors with Turrets hiding behind them, etc., & I once submitted a Suggestion for Capacitors to be used to mass hold huge Power Storage for powering stuff during Buildings/Vessels being powered off for a 'Offline Power Source'.

Maybe someday even stuff like the Deco Trees could also double as a source of Renewable harvestable stuff like Space Bananas, & the like?

Last edited: May 8, 2016
    Trendane likes this.
  10. BoomPanda

BoomPanda Lieutenant

Small Vessel constructor can still NOT make some parts for .. small vessels, e.g. engines. This has been broken for months.

11. Frigidman

Frigidman Rear Admiral

Its not broken. In their defense, its a Small Constructor to put onto Small Vessels, not a Constructor to MAKE Small Vessels ;)

Think of it as a toolbox you put into the trunk of a car, it gets you by, but lacks what a whole manufacturing plant could do.

Tyrax Lightning and Frankyln like this.
  12. Frankyln

Frankyln Rear Admiral

I always felt the small construct should only be able to build the bare necessities for a base and simple ammo,
    This makes a Base important as supply and repair Installation.
    • Small Fuel store
    • Small Generator
    • Small O2 Station (Should be usable on Base)
    • Large Constructor
    • Armor Blocks
    • Base Starter Block
    • T1 Pistol, Shotgun, Assault Rifle and corisponding Ammo
    • 02 and water generator
    • Components & ingots to make above items
    The Large Constructor for Large Scale Task
    • Building Ships
    • Building Advanced Base Support
    • Advance Weapons and Ammo
    • Rare Ores and Ingots

Last edited: May 19, 2016
    Tyrax Lightning and Frigidman like this.
  13. Tyrax Lightning

The Small Constructor makes Salami now. That's all the fix it needed imho. :)

You put a Small Constructor on your HVs & SVs for the Salami Making on the go, alone... if it comes in handy for something else like if ya accidentally fat finger your R&R Tool Controls & accidentally pop off a Hardened Steel Block ya actually meant to Repair or some such then are able to throw the resulting Metal Plates into the Small Constructor & Craft it back into a Hardened Steel Block & pop it back on, that's a bonus. :p

Frigidman likes this.
  14. Frankyln

Frankyln Rear Admiral

I so hate that update. I seams wrong for an industrial constructor to prepare and preserve meat.

There should really be a Survival Food Processor (aka Camp Stove)
    This could make
    Raw meat to Cooked Meat
    • food 50
    • health 5
    • stamina 10
    Healing Poultice
    • Requires 1 x Alien Plasma ZR1
    • Requires 1X Fiber
    • 75 health
    Caffeine Pill
    • Requires Kavae Beans X 2
    • Stamina 100

Tyrax Lightning and Flermpick like this.
  15. Frigidman

Frigidman Rear Admiral

So, there SHOULD be:

Survival Constructor (which only makes the non-bio items the survival constructor makes now)
    Survival Food Processor (which also stands on terrain, and makes the bio products the survival constructor used to make)
    Small Constructor (for hv/sv that has general construction items, nothing high level)
    Small Food Processor (1x1x1 block that makes food products and healing items... but not all)
    Large Constructor (does what it does now)
    (Large) Food Processor (does what it does now)

?

And when you first start out, you only get the survival constructor, and must quickly make the survival food processor :D I would even say you must make the first o2 generator as well... make you scramble for your life on first entry!

16. Tyrax Lightning

If this change took effect, I may well Uninstall the Survival Constructor from all my SVs & HVs & Install this dude in its place. :p

17. REZZI

REZZI Ensign

18. Stoickk

Stoickk Lieutenant

- Are templates meaningful
    They seem to be, for the most part. Some of the machine choices for building are a bit suspect. My food processor should not be making metal and dirt blocks. It shouldn't be working with anything but food. Medical is kind of ok, as there is no medical machine at the moment (suggestion for another time) but if you don't put it in your body in some way, it has no business on the food/medical bench.

- Too complicated / not deep enough
    Ship design in particular needs to be deeper. I can understand basic turrets and stock weapons, but the weapons and engines on a battleship should be far bigger than on a little shuttle style CV. Engines, weapons, etc., need to be scalable. Perhaps even allow the advanced constructor to craft player input sizes. E.g. Armored Thruster Template, when you click on it, you get a popup asking for the size, or even have a slider. Material cost should be commensurate with block size. If you are building something 10 times the normal size, it should take 10 times the normal materials.

Weapons and ship devices in particular need options. A 300x300x500 block CV should have bigger weapons than a 20x20x40 shuttle. Weapons, engines, etc. need to be either built from weapon components, or need to be scalable to player specifications. If there is a balance issue, adjust the structural integrity requirements for mounting the bigger devices. If you want a big gun, you need a big gun mount to put it on, right? The game From the Depths has some good ideas on this, but their system is considerably more complex. Perhaps something in the middle of the two would be appropriate.

- Craft time and output numbers
    Craft numbers seem very arbitrary. I end up with a lot of small spare parts that are leftover when I build machines. With the lack of a recycling system, this is inefficient and wasteful. Just have x1, x5, and x10 options, and adjust materials accordingly. Craft times are mostly ok. Small arms ammo crafting seems too long, especially for lower tier ammo.

- Constructor GUI
    The sorting options are greatly improved compared to the first time I played this game, and I am appreciating the filtering and search options.

- Other feedback?
    Inventory Management. Whether ducts, or conveyors, or delivery drones, or magical item teleporters, we need a much better system to manage inventory. As it stands, it is actually problematic to add a second constructor, instead of being helpful. This needs to change.

19. Void Wolfling

Void Wolfling Lieutenant

- All cool
    - Not deep enough. For example, in a constructors do not have enough assembly line and clamps, or ore not melt, but somehow flattened or something.
    - I would reduce the time crafting primary resources.
    - Not enough queue management subtlety. Buttons stop and start of production should be located closer to the queue constructor.
    - It is necessary to introduce the production of armor. For example:
    1. The first step. Iron armor. Low level of protection, the normal speed of movement.
    2. The second level. Steel armor. The normal level of protection, increased movement speed while sprinting.
    3. The third level. The alien armor. A high level of protection, high speed sprint. The increased strength of the jump.

In addition, it is necessary to introduce an optional modification equipment. For example, a helmet there are two places for improvement modules. There you can insert a night vision device, additional air filter (save oxygen), the autoaiming device, antenna amplifier (drones can fly farther from the host) and so on.

20. Blackhawk

Blackhawk Commander

Allow us to see blocks required for blueprints if we decide to use the crafted items in lieu of just ingots.

Tyrax Lightning and Frigidman like this.