Custom Playfields by Vexray

Discussion in 'Planets & Playfields' started by Vexray, Jul 17, 2016.

1. Furious Hellfire

Furious Hellfire Rear Admiral

Thank you Vexray ! for I now have a nitrado dedi server with some 200+ working playfields.
    Some manually tweaked by myself, tweaked sector yaml.

When i downloaded this last week I had no idea how to use the yaml files.
    It felt like I had no chance of putting it all together in working order on a server.
    I made a lot of trial and error and your playfield package has helped me learn a lot about playfield & server setup.
    Took me 2 days from "whats a server?" to "welcome to my custom server !"

I made use the the EPD tool on occasions which allowed me to edit some elements of the playfields more easily whilst on some it was better to do manual adjusting of the yaml by hand.

I feel like I have learned a lot without actually asking for anyone's help.

My server is up for those who are brand new to empyrion and want to have some learning experience before entering the major servers and giving themselves a shitty dragged out start asking for help in a busy chat.

Your playfield package has allowed me to create a server similar in nature to some of the bigger servers to help newcomers better prepare ^-^

There is still much I need to learn, I have still not been able to have my changes to the starting equipment applied, though this is nothing to do with your playfields its just a limitation to my knowledge or something I am doing wrong.
    Manually adjusting the akua temperate template for akua does not seem to apply, and even when using the EPD.
    The starting equipment remains the same, and yes i delete the contents of the game folder itself between tests to ensure new parameters get loaded upon restart when the game folder pulls the akua templates from the empyrion playfield folder again.

I may study the api info and see if there is enough info to allow me decide if its worth me learning some coding languages next week...
    Like python or C
    I see great potential through api mods if there are enough useful functions to call on.

Your playfield package is most excellent sir and beautifully generated.

TK85 likes this.
  2. Vexray

Vexray Captain

@tehmashby Like you, i started with 0 knowledge of the files. It took me several months of testing, writing down what each option changed and determining what options were editable. Sadly most of my work is outdated as ive been gone for a long time, however there are a few here like Piddle and Aaron who have been keeping it alive.

It just takes a little practice, start with the obvious things like sky color, atmosphere or water levels, then work towards land terrain. Dont worry about creatures or tile generations untill your comfortable with those. Baby steps go a long way, not to mention there are programs out now that make the hours and hours of investment like what ive done trivial and quick (for the most part).

Thanks alot for the praise, we all need credit sometimes to feel accomplished and it goes a long way =)

Aubrey Snow and TK85 like this.
  3. rebel7

rebel7 Ensign

Did the last patch change something? Can't get these to work now. Had em working before 6.0, put everything in the same spot as before but nothing is showing up. Rented server btw.

4. Aaronstar

Aaronstar Ensign

did you replace the sectors.yaml? also, server or client?

5. rebel7

rebel7 Ensign

Ftp'd everything like I did last time to the host, playfields, sector and prefabs. Looking at this further, don't think I replaced the dedicated.yaml, guessin that's my problem?

Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
  6. Aaronstar

Aaronstar Ensign

Yea, you need to change the scenario entry to whatever the name of the folder is where the files are.

7. piddlefoot

piddlefoot Rear Admiral

It doesn't go where it used to just in the content folder, it has to go inside the Scenario folder now, the only edit outside of the scenario folder should be the dedicated yaml to start server.

8. rebel7

rebel7 Ensign

Ok, so upload everything to a new folder in the scenario folder, just name it anything I want? Then adjust the dedicated.yaml to match the folder name where I uploaded everything?

9. piddlefoot

piddlefoot Rear Admiral

You can name it anything yes, just be sure to match that on the dedicated YAML file, the scenario folder name is what the game looks for.
    So the folder u drop in the scenario folder.

10. AintnoSaint

AintnoSaint Ensign

Dumb question from a noob. How do I get the new planets? I really like the arctic one!

11. Aaronstar

Aaronstar Ensign

Search on the workshop for vexray's planets, i made a scenario of all his planets so you can just subscribe and play

12. Bedevere

Bedevere Ensign

Aaronstar are the planets in the first post newer than whats on steam? There are soem errors particularly on Ovus and Lumia. The ones here seem to match the formatting of the base planets more.

13. Justin Olson

Justin Olson Ensign

Hey, I added you on steam if you have a moment to help. Not sure how to add these to my Nitrado server.

14. Tbosh

Tbosh Commander

Its doable, just a pain in the backside doing through Nitrado. You have to do a lot of editing and adding.

As for adding them to nitrado, just get the yaml and add it in.

I would advise you to first look at how the vanilla setup is on nitrado and work from there. Once you know where each file goes and what file is needed you will be fine.

Justin Olson likes this.
  15. Aaronstar

Aaronstar Ensign

Also, i have not updated the workshop item in a while, so proceed with caution. I have some instructions for servers in the description, but i dont know anything about nitrodo.

16. Tbosh

Tbosh Commander

Yeah nitrado is a pain. Its doable but a pain.

17. Justin Olson

Justin Olson Ensign

Hahahaha you're telling me it's been a pain in the backside. I found the correct files i believe, but I'm just trying to add one planet. Just to see if it works, I take the .yaml and put it where it needs to be (I think). Server runs fine. I go to edit the sectors.yaml and when I add the planet to the sector, that's when it doesn't allow the server back online. I've also tried adding it to the scenarios as well. Is there anyway you have a few minutes possibly to chat on discord with me and possible screenshare to see if I'm doing it correctly? Do I have to make the server fresh once the planet is added? Or can I just add a planet to a game already going?

18. Aaronstar

Aaronstar Ensign

Sure, let me start up my comp...

19. Tbosh

Tbosh Commander

If you adding a new planet you have to add a folder into the either playfield or planets folder. Then add the yaml to that folder. And yes you have to restart the server.

Hope that helps, it been over a year since I have messed with nitrado regarding empyrion.

20. Tbosh

Tbosh Commander

Oh and you have to make sure the planets position is in a correct location. Ie able to warp to.

There is a tool you can find somewhere on these forums that help you place the planets. I forget what it is called but someone reading this thread knows what I'm talking about, maybe they can point you in the right way.