Docking enhancment

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by codem, Mar 18, 2017.

1. codem

codem New Member

Is there a way to get a smaller CV to dock with a larger CV.

The issue comes when you have a really large CV and in order to get the HVs to dock with it, you have to land your CVs. Well.. some CVs are meant really just for space travel, not for planet fall.

If there isn't a way to dock CVs with CVs. perhaps a suggestion would be to allow HVs to dock with SVs which then dock with CVs.

In this way, one could build their dropships (SVs) and can make planet fall with the docked HVs.

This would be useful for also transporting services etc.

2. Tbosh

Tbosh Active Member

Currently there is no CV to CV docking.

3. ion_storm

ion_storm Member

This topic becomes historic...:D

Zedd likes this.
  4. oojimaflip

oojimaflip Well-Known Member

5. ion_storm

ion_storm Member

Right now PvP exploits dictate how things work for everybody else...
    So, unless they separate the rules, nope, you can have crippled stuff only...

Zedd likes this.
  6. ITguy1981

ITguy1981 Active Member

I don't see why HVs can't dock to SVs other than people trying to add more and more HVs with turrets to a SV so it has more weaponry. I've never noticed if SV guns fire when attached to a CV or not. You can just not let guns fire if the ship is docked.

7. ion_storm

ion_storm Member

So, you see why after all? Not to mention HV artillery turrets on CVs on planets...
    And this:
    will be no less of a nonsense... To fix one thing you want to cripple another, this can go forever...

8. ITguy1981

ITguy1981 Active Member

You don't see how not letting unoccupied docked ships fire is crippling?

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017 at 9:22 AM
  9. ion_storm

ion_storm Member

Because this is what HV turrets do, they are automatic and shoot things around when you are not there...
    There's no reason for them not to work if the thing is powered and you didn't shut them down, even if you are not in the thing...
    Also there's no reason for them not to work just because the thing is attached to another thing with a couple of magnets...

10. ITguy1981

ITguy1981 Active Member

So you're saying that having tons of HVs with turrets on a SV firing as well as the other guns is how it should be? Sounds like an exploit if you ask me. If you read every one million threads about this topic the majority of people would like a way to move HVs without bringing big CVs down to planets. It's very simple request and easy to not exploit. If ships are docked they can't fire. That simple. If you want your HV or SV to fire than get in it and drive it around like it's supposed to be. They are vessels not mounted auto turrets.

Frankyln likes this.
  11. ion_storm

ion_storm Member

Well, you asked me how this is crippling and i explained...
    I'm well aware how the HV turrets are exploited, but this is how they work, they are automatic, if powered and turned on, and you don't need to be there...

The only way this can pass that may make some sense is if they announce some automatic "security"measure connected to the docking pads, that turns off the turrets when the pads activate...
    See, there must be some explanation for this, otherwise it will be absolute crippling nonsense...

Don't get me wrong, i'm all for everything docking to everything, and i probably wrote in many of the threads you mention...

12. rainyday

rainyday Well-Known Member

Most likely not the case, its more of a technical thing. HV->SV is looked into (as is CV->BA) and as far as I understood correctly those likely to come at some point. But CV->CV is apparently much more complicated and would need reworking the whole docking system.

13. john.73738

john.73738 New Member

I may be way off base on this but CV to CV docking would not really be necessary if they code in AI to control CVs while in space. I right now have a 6 vessel fleet that to move it from planet to planet I have to make a current blueprint of all but one vessel, destroy 5 of them, move to the planet I want to got to, then spawn the other 5 vessels using console commands. Cheaty I know but is the only way since the character suicide option only spawns you at the nearest clone chamber (unless there is something I don't know). As far as the HV-SV docking I all for disabling HV turrets while docked to a SV or CV. It is just logical, as in reality a tank would not fire while being carried under a helicopter.

Just my $.02

14. ion_storm

ion_storm Member

Yes, but the real tank you're talking about doesn't have automatic turrets...
    "Automatic" is the key word here... This is what people exploit...
    So, there must be another reason for them not to work, not just because they're carried by sonething else...
    That's why i came up with the "security measure" BS... :D
    The tank would not fire because it's not automatic and you turned the engines off, not because of the helicopter.
    If you don't turn the engines off, they will continue to work no matter what carries the tank...

And if you're crazy enough, you can enter the tank and fire it's cannon no matter what carries the tank...:D

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017 at 9:17 PM
  15. codem

codem New Member

Easy fix for this. In order for the HV to remain docked, it has to be powered off. Then it can't fire. However, I would hope that a check could be in place. Docked = yes. auto firing becomes disabled.

16. codem

codem New Member

Not sure what the big deal is. Have the HV be able to dock to a SV and then the SV carry the HV up to the CV and both can dock.

If the concern is people will use the turrets on HVs to augment SVs or CV, simply disable auto-firing when the HV is docked. Problem solved.

17. CirrusMajor

CirrusMajor Active Member

'Son', maybe you should wait until you have experienced the game fully, and wait until you understand how things work, and why some suggestions are simply not plausible. Many ideas have already been proposed, and it is obvious you have not bothered to read through the suggestions list. Please stop spraying half-baked suggestions in an effort to get forum cred. :)

18. codem

codem New Member

Son? Ok. Perhaps people like you discount things too quickly , hence why things are so slow to improve or enhancements to come. I will give you one thing though, you are right, I didn't read through the entire forums.... though I doubt that most people do. Nor is that a reason not to make a suggestion.

If the developers hear a suggestion from more than one person... they may consider it. ... but if a suggestion is made only once.... it will probably not see the time of day .

It's like with any company with customer service. One customer says something "thank you, we'll take that under advisement", many customers say something..... you've got their attention.

Be that as it may, enlighten me why the suggestion made is not plausible .

oojimaflip and Zedd like this.
  19. rainyday

rainyday Well-Known Member

It is plausible - and much requested & talked about. And as I said, HV docking into SV, its been confirmed that its "on the list" - but no idea when we might get it.

About "slow improvements" (which I disagree with) - its good to remember that everything seems easy to us players. We can throw ideas left & right and wonder why they all aren't part of the game already. But broader picture (and planned future) is not clear to us, and not all options - even if they seem super cool - work in practice or are worth the effort. So some things might come later than others even if they seem more important. And some things may never come.

ion_storm likes this.
  20. CirrusMajor

CirrusMajor Active Member

Baited :)