Documenting playfield.yaml

Discussion in 'The Hangar Bay' started by Slipstream, Oct 27, 2016.

1. Slipstream

Slipstream Captain

Since they won't, we shall! :)

If someone knowledgeable could give me a hand, let's start here:

# Playfield difficulty (has impact on experience gains)
    Difficulty: 2 # Between 2 and 5: larger values indicate higher difficulty

Do we know what this actually DOES? Does a lower number mean more XP is given out, or less? Does it affect anything else? (drone damage, drone health, etc)

# Special Effects # Please don't change
    SpecialEffectsLocal:

SpecialEffectsGlobal:

Why can't we change these?

# Clouds
    CloudsDensity: 0.5 # Between 0 and 1: larger values = more clouds (coverage)
    CloudsSharpness: 0.35 # Between 0 and 1: larger values = less dense clouds
    CloudsBrightness: 0.7 # Between 0 and 2: larger values = brighter clouds

# CloudsOpacity: 0.9 # Between 0 and 1: larger values = more opaque, default is 0.9
    # CloudsZenithColor: "0.87, 0.92, 1" # Color of clouds if sun is in zenith, default is light blue "0.87,0.92,1"
    # CloudsHorizonColor: "1, 0.76, 0.56" # Color of clouds if sun is on horizon, default is light orange "1,0.76,0.56"

Has anyone un-commented these lines, and seen what happens?

### Resource Asteroids
    AsteroidResources:
    - Name: IronResource
    Threshold: 0.6
    Amount: 0.5

What does "Amount" do? Does this lower the chance of a resource drop, once the Threshold is reached?

---

That's a start, I have more Q's once these are answered. I intend to try and build a fully-documented "Sample" file for the space and planet playfields, and the sector yaml.

--B.

zaphodikus likes this.
  2. Gray

Gray Commander

imo we should concentrate on one thing first - gameplay or graphical. vexray already tinkered around with the grapical settings for his planets (which I sadly never got working :oops:), for the rest it would be great if we could get a dev response, for example what difficulty actually means.

3. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

Difficulty is also the value that shows on the map, rather than the difficulty you set further down.

I thought amount was amount of a given resource per meteorite, Threshold is remaining Ore of that type before a Resource Meteorite will spawn. I.e. 0.6 = if less than 60% of the initial Iron is remaining then spawn meteor. Note that this is total ore value, not number of deposits. So, you could part-mine all Iron deposits to under 60% to trigger it.

Nudge me tomorrow, and I'll have a dig through my notes and add them to this thread - bit late here currently.

Scoob.

4. Gray

Gray Commander

don't they spawn when all the resource spawns on the planet are gone?

5. LiftPizzas

LiftPizzas Rear Admiral

You can, but I'm sure they had a reason for putting that there. Maybe more changes to come or something.

Yes, I'm pretty sure I did and it changes the cloud colors during different times of day. (For example you could make an Earth sunset where the clouds turn pink/purple in the evening. Or you could make an alien setting where the clouds turn green around noon.) I made a video going through the yaml file and showing/discussing which parts I was able to figure out.

6. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

Nope, the Threshold value is key. I tested a game with Iron set to 0.8 (80%) with very few low-yield deposits and I got resource meteorites spawning after part-mining just a couple of Iron deposits.

Prior to the Auto-miner, I was doing this a lot on my Server to reduce the mining grind. I'd just periodically spend 5 minutes mining a meteorite, then carry on with what I was doing - usually a CV build.

Scoob.

7. joemorin73

joemorin73 Captain

Based on what I've looked over, this is what I have learned:

Difficulty: This affects the XP calculation for the player. The higher the number, the more XP a player gets. The idea is to reward a player for success on a harder planet.

SpecialEffectsLocal:
    SpecialEffectsGlobal: These can be changed and with great benefit. (I'm unsure on the origin of the comment.) There are many effects you can add/modify.

Clouds: I haven't played with the commented cloud section. It is a curiosity worth testing.

Amount: I don't think it works. I've tested many different values and have always seen the asteroid come in ranging from roughly 800 to 1200 ore. I'm sure they intended to implement this, but it doesn't appear to be working.

8. Xango2000

Xango2000 Captain