Eleon Studios - Official Servers EU & NA

Discussion in 'Official Eleon Server' started by RexXxuS, Feb 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RexXxuS

RexXxuS Rear Admiral

Rules not yet. A bit more tricky on official servers. But a set of general rules will be created asap.

Thought quite a time about it but then came up with the BA / CV restriction for the starters. Combined with resource distribution and story it shouldn't be so overcrowded quick as HWS at all.

Just quick: yes, it is multiply. I will improve the tool even more but here is a little help maybe: https://empyrion-homeworld.net/tools/emp-class-calculator
    It means basically that especially lights are very performance hungry, so the multiplier is higher for it. Other than that everything what is difficult to render it is included in the formula so you can better control the performance on your server.

No. It is a smaller one with 32GB Ram.

Maybe I try a discord server on the weekend and maybe some want to help with admin it.

Bigfeet and Tyrax Lightning like this.
  2. Mordgier

Mordgier Captain

I suggest using utilibot - https://lessis.moe/projects/utilibot - it takes care of many of the basics and will log actions taken in a separate channel.

Tyrax Lightning and RexXxuS like this.
  3. FRAGaLOT

FRAGaLOT Captain

Came on the US server and started playing. Didn't seem like anything was organized other than existing players who've already formed clans (probably from different games). Gotta say the NPCs are a lot harder to kill on these servers, but leveling isn't slow. So i met a few random players while on but not like anything was formal or if there was some kina command HQ.

I've been playing experimental 5.5.0 and some of my SV blueprints don't work on this 5.4.0 server, but I'm not sure why.

But i've been growing bored of single player, so i need to get into some MP action and this seems like a prime opportunity. thanks!

Tyrax Lightning likes this.
  4. AndyH

AndyH Commander

Sounding like the Powers That Be are taking the direction that PVP somehow equals superior MP gameplay. It does not. It is a preference that costs minimal dev effort in terms of content, and nothing more. Many enjoy playing WITH other people instead of against them (the sole reason that two people are on the same server and thus MUST ruin the other's entire day for a thrill that lasts maybe 15 seconds does not suit every MP'er) and relish the same challenge and difficulty levels that PVP claims it can only have.

@mR_kAt and the server he is on seems to me to be on the right track for a survival game with MP support (Have the owner send me an invite, will you? I'm a Search & Rescue hardcore co-op player). Sadly the dev's seem to take the opposite direction when it comes to MP. The new POI's released lately are no more than structures you can just walk up to and grab loot, and then the autominers which reward not playing the game to get mats for your stuff (which could be seen as an insult to MP and even survival SP). There are minimal tools (namely Alien Turrets) for building challenging POI's that can be on the same level as PVP Fortresses without becoming a turret encrusted lag generator.

Then this, which seems like every other server (most of which are empty) that claims PVA but in reality only supports PVP if you want to leave the starter world before they are necessarily wiped. Yes, the game is not ready for balance, advanced content and other things that take place in beta. Most of us understand that, and that a good server is something we must create on our end at this stage. It is just worrisome that the dev team seems to be falling into the trap that many other companies have fallen into for the sake of cheap mindless content and easy profit.

5. Xanif

Xanif Lieutenant

If I were an olympic judge I would give you 10/10 on those mental gymnastics.

Mordgier and Tyrax Lightning like this.
  6. FRAGaLOT

FRAGaLOT Captain

There will always be local play. This won't replace single player, since this isn't single player. BUT this might break grounds for some kind of single player narrative, but I'm not even sure if Eleon plans on doing any sort of story/mission mode. Like some quest to get from point A, where you crash land in your pod, and eventually warp home to point B, the end game. Because right now there is no end-game, other than when you just get bored since you've explored all the planets/moons, and have everything you need.

7. Mordgier

Mordgier Captain

I like that people are complaining about the game being too demanding:
    And not demanding enough:
    In the same thread.

8. Tyrax Lightning

Tyrax Lightning Rear Admiral

Oops... I didn't know that. :oops:

9. SilvRav

SilvRav Moderator

eu server IP address?

Kostriktor and Tyrax Lightning like this.
  10. mR_kAt

mR_kAt Captain

I still didn't get a response regarding the storyline from Eleon. So @Hummel-o-War or @RexXxuS , will this server contain the official storyline for the game, or is it just a test server for missions etc?

11. mR_kAt

mR_kAt Captain

I can PM him on Steam. His username is the same on steam (Xzystance). I'll let you know what he says?

12. mR_kAt

mR_kAt Captain

Everyone has different viewpoints about Empyrion. I for one, find the game too easy survival wise (and I don't mean COMBAT wise with drones and POIs). I am taking about BASIC survival (an over abundance of food on planets, and resources and small amount of environmental hazards).

Survival can mean many things and to many, it also can simply means man vs. the natural environments and the challenges that real life space colonization can provide. Think of the movie "Martian" and you get my idea. This is what the concept of Empyrion was based upon in the beginning but patch after patch, they have made those hazards minor. Food is everywhere so there is no need for greenhouses and the time it takes to get from basic survival (heck you start off with a dang motorcycle even on the hardest difficulty) to where you don't even have to worry about the environment is so fast, it can make your head spin.

They even used to have a temperature gauge on screen (which I assume would have to do with some environmental challenges to come) but alas, it is no more. It's only buried in code now, unused. Even the variety of food has no point with no thirst gauge. Why make ratatouille when all my character's nutritional needs are solved by salami? Or even worse, tons and tons of space oranges which can be found outside in mass amounts with about zero work whatsoever. Heck it even saves on bullets.

13. Mordgier

Mordgier Captain

I would agree there - I feel that as soon as you are able to build an SV you kinda won SP. But I admit I didn't play it past that as beyond that it just seemed a pointless chore of clearing PoIs.

I really do feel that PvP is where the game shines. It gives you a constant ongoing challenge. PvP isn't about "Destroying things others built" - that's a really short sighted view of it. It's about fighting a true opponent. There is no menace behind it - vast majority of the friends I made in Empyrion had been people I killed.

It's unfortunate that some people get too attached to pixels to be willing to risk them in PvP or get upset when their pixels blow up - they fail to see the thrill and challenge of even a losing fight. The potential for a devastating loss is what makes PvP in Empyrion thrilling and fun. It's what made PvP in Eve fun - death mattered.

Sadly Empyrion PvP is hampered by bugs and lag currently - I hope one day it will be fixed - and I hope one day many of the people who are totally opposed to PvP give it a shot with an open mind and zero attachment to their pixels.

We used to actually offer to replace the CVs of new players we killed so that they would stick around and not be reduced to nothing. Oddly only 3 people ever took us up on the offer - oh well.....

Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
  14. AndyH

AndyH Commander

mR_kAt: Sounds good.

And not to derail the thread any further, I'll just say that at the end of the day people need to respect the preferences of other players. Some people enjoy PVP to spice things up. Good for you. Some want to immerse themselves in a story of the isolated castaway after a day of employment around annoying office co-workers. Good for you. Some want to play the Magnificent Seven and socially raid NPC's because strangers are friends you haven't met yet. Good for you. I enjoy swooping down from orbit and into Spider Hell with my rescue ship, turrets blazing through spider mobs and landing a few feet from a shipwrecked survivor and watching them dash for my hatch and spewing gratitude. Good for me.

What is not good is disrespect and any person telling another they're preference is lame and shouldn't be in the game because it is not yours and that they should be playing their game your way. That is what has been pretty cool about MP Emp so far. We have the tools (as manual and rudimentary and buggy and horribly time consuming as they are in alpha) to make our own MP setups.

Desus, Tyrax Lightning and mR_kAt like this.
  15. [BUYA] Till Eulenspiegel

[BUYA] Till Eulenspiegel Lieutenant

I'm so confused on why this is a point of contention. Rexxus who runs one of the most successful pvp servers is working for Eleon. So he did what he does well and made a PvP server for them.(with the help of jascha and Achilles)

Eleon already has a PvE server. They are adding a PvP server as an example of empyrion pvp. Why does there have to be yet another PvE vs PvP conversation?

Everyone has preferences the other side "is always wrong". Let's just be happy they are now offering another official server for us to play on.

16. AndyH

AndyH Commander

I don't think it is a PVE vs PVP conversation. It is a 'where are the devs going' conversation based on what has been coming out for a while. Labeling both Official Servers (rather than labeled as just another Test Server as their previous one was) that are basically PVP sends a message, intentional or not. If they were labeled as an Official Test PVP Server, I don't think people would be too worried about it what it might indicate.

The survival challenge has been diluted badly since pre-alpha. Vanilla PVE content is a speedbump when it comes to difficulty (and not something I could rightly urge more focus on at this stage of development. Real content generation is for beta), and the new ones intentionally have no opposition at all (which is worrisome for game direction). There just have been quite a few things adding up that seems to say that Empyrion Galactic Survival is slowly going the way of just another arena deathmatch slugfest if you want to play with other people or want a challenge once you build a vehicle. And to be honest, such things are very tempting for companies because they don't take as much manpower or money since the players are the ones generating content and builds for free, and dev resources are limited.

Tyrax Lightning, rainyday and mR_kAt like this.
  17. mR_kAt

mR_kAt Captain

My thoughts exactly. I've been covering the "early access" phenomenon of games (just not on steam) were players help fund the developers while they are in many cases, sometimes fed lies where they claim they are taking the player base's suggestions for direction under consideration while in reality they are not (and are just using the cash to get that final exposure and push to release).

I can say for a fact that Eleon does in fact listen to its player base when it comes to features or small details, but so far, there has been no transparency to how the game plans to be unfolded or to be laid out.

In kickstarter operations, the goals are laid out to the funders and in concept, they do have a say in the direction of the end product. This whole "early access" concept of steam is much different. There is no accountability to promises given to the funders at the inception of the game, that it will continue its promised conceptual course.

While I do love covering Empyrion (and play it in my free time), I have seen a sharp shift in focus to the general aspect of the game. I can only speculate to as why. I know each member of the development team have different skillsets and as such, sometimes only one aspect of the game can be worked on at a time, however after a long period of drought regarding advancements in the survival aspect of the game (and the sudden announcement of an official PvP server) I am beginning to get the same doubts that I have had about so many other games from "early access".

Is this a shift in the end vision of the game, or was it never really meant to involve survival as a core aspect of the game in the first place? If that is the case, the title is very misleading, and the players who supported the game when it was released to the public (many of which seem to be long gone from the forums) were perhaps misunderstanding the concept of the game from the get go, or on the other hand could have been mislead.

I've been seeing lately a growing divide in what people envision the game will become. The only one will real answers is of course, Eleon.

Izure, Tyrax Lightning and AndyH like this.
  18. Hummel-o-War

Hummel-o-War Administrator Staff Member Community Manager

• Developer
    The * means *multiply with*

19. Hummel-o-War

• Developer
    This discussion again....really? :D

Sry guys, these are JUST two more servers with a twitch in setup because we thought we should try a different approach compared to the other "vanilla" server. The game does not change because of this. And anything you try to derive from this is just - sry to say that - complete nonsense (be it a general shift or story or whatever).

And: Empyrion will neither shift to PvP-only nor to PvE only. Currently there are a few more features implemented that might look like they are MP or PvP only, but this is a misconception. Most of the features that will affect SP/PvE just take longer to develop and most of the features we have added are basic features that needed to be added BEFORE. I is just coincidence that they might better fit to MP, because a "pure" MP has (balancing aside) kind of a lower barrier what works and what not. To say it clearly: this is NOT intentional, but just a result on how the game features need to be build upon each other.

Or shall we stop developing until we can guarantee a "balance in features" ??? :D :D

That's why this is ALPHA stage, not "ready-to-relase-and-everything-added" stage. ;-)

20. Hummel-o-War

• Developer
    I'll lock this topic for a a day or two, so everyone can take the time to READ and UNDERSTAND what i am writing :D (so you need to do less guesstimates, speculation and such ^^)

Thanks for your understanding!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.