--discontinued--

Discussion in 'The Hangar Bay' started by MorpheusZero, Nov 11, 2016.

1. MorpheusZero

MorpheusZero Lieutenant

--discontinued--

Last edited: May 22, 2017
    Calabris likes this.
  2. MorpheusZero

MorpheusZero Lieutenant

Placeholder for updates, changelogs, roadmap, upcoming features, etc.....

As a side note, I am contemplating using my Microsoft Azure Subscription that I currently pay for to create an API and Cloud Web App to integrate with my SQL Database for sharing configurations and creations. Kind of like a "workshop" configuration for custom Sectors and Playfields. It would be completely compatible with this tool and allow you to just download someone else's work and publish it immediately.

Would this be a feature people would be interested in? Obviously this is more of a version 2 feature, but should it be added to the roadmap as a potential useful feature wanted by the community?

3. Slipstream

Slipstream Captain

I'll step up for QA, I have experience and even a github account. Windows 10, 32gb, SSD and HD available.

MorpheusZero likes this.
  4. MorpheusZero

MorpheusZero Lieutenant

Sounds good. I am aiming to have a useable version by next weekend. It will have basic core functionality to edit/create/export/publish Sectors and Playfields.

5. Slipstream

Slipstream Captain

6. MorpheusZero

MorpheusZero Lieutenant

Yes I am aware of other development fronts going on. I talked to some of the other devs already. I will be combining efforts with the guys who make the Playfield Generator tool. Also my project will be 100% Open Source so that if I ever decide to stop doing work, someone can always pick it up and continue it on without me.

7. Slipstream

Slipstream Captain

Rock and roll!

8. MorpheusZero

MorpheusZero Lieutenant

Will be starting on Sector creation today, shouldn't take long. I got the skeleton all there, just needs a UI for input. If all goes well there today, I will be making a Library page where you can view all user created content and "modify" or "delete" them. Then I will make a Publish page where you can check items from your library to publish to a new server configuration or to a single player world. Once this process is complete, I will add in the feature set for custom Playfields later in the week hopefully for a first release test.

9. Our Grid

Our Grid Captain

Thank you for taking the time and making the effort. These tools really help the game community!

10. StoneLegion

StoneLegion Captain

Glad to see more community made software. You planning to charge or have some sort of pro version or 100% free and OS?

11. MorpheusZero

MorpheusZero Lieutenant

100% free and OS. The first few releases for testing will be the only version built from the master branch. But once I got a fairly stable and recommended release, I will branch off to have a BETA and NIGHTLY branch so you can opt-in to get updates based on the Update-Channel you choose.

I started on Sectors today, but haven't done much just yet. I am in the process of getting ready to leave my current job and will be starting a new job as a Software Engineer at a Fortune 500 company (who so happens to be in the top 10) within two weeks. My schedule will remain largely the same and I am still committed, but I want it to be completely free and OS so that one day if I am unable to work on it, it can easily be picked up by other members of the community with the know how. I am attempting to highly comment and document my code and make it as dynamic as possible for ease of use and extensibility for present and future developers.

I am still shooting to have some sort of release, however Alpha it may be, by this weekend sometime. At least if I can push out a smaller version for people to play with, then they can shoot me ideas and suggestions on what to change and what to work on next, etc.

oojimaflip and StoneLegion like this.
  12. MorpheusZero

MorpheusZero Lieutenant

Sectors screen has been added and I am mostly finished with the UI. I will hopefully be done with this part today. All I have left to do is wire up the UI Components with the code that does what the buttons say they do for modifying, creating, deleting, and cloning sectors. Once this process is complete, I will work on the Publish & Export screens. I think that will be a good testable version for people to hit up and try out while I am working on Playfields during the weekend.

13. Calabris

Calabris Lieutenant

I will be trying your tools shortly to create a server for home use for my and my kids. Thank you for doing this!

14. vicomt

vicomt Captain

PoASTING to watch ;)

we'll definitely be looking at this and other playfield editors. Got any more in progress screens you can show us?

15. MorpheusZero

MorpheusZero Lieutenant

Thanks guys! Tomorrow, for my next update post I will be updating the screen shots with more recent ones. The sector screen should be finished by then mostly, just not the drag-and-drop display editor. But all of the manual data entry will be there.

16. Slipstream

Slipstream Captain

Is there anything we can do to help?

17. MorpheusZero

MorpheusZero Lieutenant

I wish! At the moment I have to get the first testable version out. Once that is ready, I will need you guys to press buttons like crazy to try and break it and tell me whats wrong with it and what we can do as a community to improve the tools. Please note, the version I plan to release this weekend will only have the ability to create new sectors and publish that configuration out to either a single player game or a multiplayer server setup.

I wanted to have playfields included, but although I've been working on it every day, I am starting a new job next week and I have been dealing with some orientation stuff, drug tests, paperwork, etc. So instead of delaying, I'm going to release what I have to give people a general idea and maybe some feedback on stuff to change or whatnot while I finish up on Playfields in the coming weekend, early next week.

18. Slipstream

Slipstream Captain

Zero worries, and congrats on the new job! There's a lot involved there, and I'd much rather you focus on that! Plus, Thanksgiving in the US is coming up!

--Brian

19. MorpheusZero

MorpheusZero Lieutenant

Yes! Thanksgiving will be a nice break time for me to sit at home and get some work done. I am off work Thursday and Friday. Thursday I am busy, but Friday my GF goes back to work so I will have the house to myself and 10 hours to punch out a massive amount of code. This is another reason I want to get a first small version out this weekend so it gives people a few days to tell me what they think so on Friday I can do awesome things with the feedback.

20. MorpheusZero

MorpheusZero Lieutenant

Just a little update!

I got a few days behind for a few reasons. First and foremost yesterday I was supposed to be home most of the day so I was going to finish up a lot, but right after my GF left for work she got into a car accident and I had to go help her out and make sure everything was ok with the insurance company and take care of that and it took all day so I didn't get any work done. I will attempt to start on the publish screen tonight and if everything goes well I may be able to push out a releasable test version for maybe Sunday night or Monday morning. I have a family Thanksgiving thing to attend most of the day Saturday.