Food System

Discussion in 'FAQ & Feedback' started by EleonGameStudios, Jun 26, 2015.

1. Frigidman

Frigidman Rear Admiral

So like a Replicator System? Sounds like a good plan to me. Plus it would add a decent middle step of deconstructing bios into storage capsules of base materials needed to replicate foods a human can eat.

I like the idea of every planet could get a generated set of fruit-like, veggie-like, meat-like items that get harvested off plants and animals. They would get a random set of 'immediate effects if eaten raw' ranging from horribly toxic, to wonderful ambrosia. Could even generate the names to be random, or just use a scientific notation system based on discovery (Alien Fruit A4-x2, Unknown Fiber J9Y).

Dumping the items into the processor would cause it to churn all those random gather things into singular stackable common resources.

Tyrax Lightning and zztong like this.
  2. zztong

zztong Rear Admiral

Rendering "stuff" into Protein, Fiber, Fruit, Veggie, Dairy, and so forth sounds interesting. It is kind of like refining bars from ore.

Procedurally generated plants by planet sounds cool to me, if not a bit derivative of No Man's Sky, but not criminally so. :)

Tyrax Lightning and Frigidman like this.
  3. LiftPizzas

LiftPizzas Rear Admiral

Procedurally generated plants and animals is the only way any modern space exploration game will ever have enough novel content. It's not an invention of No Man's Sky. Minecraft uses PG and so do a lot of other games. It's been used since the 70's or 80's, depending on which game you consider the first to use it. ;) It's such a common thing there's a wiki for it. I even made algorithms for procedural generation of realistic animal skin patterns years ago. :)

4. zztong

zztong Rear Admiral

Of course. I cited No Man's Sky as it is similar in genre to Empyrion. But I get your point. With the long history of using the technique in games, Empyrion doing it really isn't specifically ripping off No Man's Sky.

Tyrax Lightning likes this.
  5. Frigidman

Frigidman Rear Admiral

Plus we've not seen what Astroneer is gonna be like either.

6. LiftPizzas

LiftPizzas Rear Admiral

I can see why it would be said though. Just like anything that used Newtonian physics in the 80's might have been dubbed an Asteroids ripoff.

Looks interesting, but there's no mention of survival/combat in the description. I can't see it being fun for more than a couple of hours, which is the same reason I still haven't bought or played SE.

7. Tyrax Lightning

Tyrax Lightning Rear Admiral

Star Trek style Replicator System sounds cool. :)

Frankly I wonder if it could be applied to Blocks too so ya can avoid paying a full Block's worth of Material Cost for tiny parts like Thin Hull Walls & those little bitty Hull Corner pieces. This is the kinda power we can use in the Future.

8. Dionysos

Dionysos Commander

I just experienced the new food poisoning. Some thoughts on that:

- i got poisoning through eating corn dogs. Eating raw stuff and rotten stuff would be the the only plausible way of getting it
    - but why corn dogs? the only thing you have to eat as a beginner? I think you have enough to do when u just downed on Akua. Especially when you have long walks to resources.
    - Later on there is no need to consume raw stuff which renders it useless again. You eat Salami 24/7
    - you should be able to detect something like a "Mutterkorn"/ergot(?) or other harmful stuff because of tech advanced spacefaring civilisation. Well ergot seems to be known at least since the 15th century^^
    - so the concept of foodpoisoning makes no sense to me in the current game. Id didnt bother me in pre 1.5 because of no effect but if i have to collect cobra leaves every time i consume a corn dog now...
    - then you breach number one law of survival games again: dont make the players to tamagotchi slaves. In other words why care about blockbuilding if i have to adjust survival parameters all the time? It feels like work and is not fun imo. Its the same fault you made with the oxygen depletion a while ago.
    - A medic station would be at least a counter but it fills up the health depletet by the poisoning but doesnt cure it - wtf?! A common saline solution takes care of it after you've emptied your body... why shouldnt the med station cure it?

There are lots of logic holes in the current poisoning. It is understandable that you tried to give it more meaning but i dont see thers a place for foodpoisoning like it is. - So better think about "kill your darlings" instead of bend it into the game. Currently there are not enough valid situation to get something like a food poison. If you like to introduce a illness/cure system then the plant monster would be something plausible - i can avoid bites but not always. - but tbh bites and space suites... i think you really have to overthink all these things and make em plausible instead of annoying and illogic.

TRMancer likes this.
  9. geostar1024

geostar1024 Rear Admiral

I haven't ever suffered food poisoning, and I'm not sure it's a useful or necessary mechanic. According to the lore, the player character is on their way to start a new colony, so it would make sense that some kind of biological scanner would be built into their basic environmental suit, allowing them to avoid eating things that might make them sick. And food poisoning is only relevant as a mechanic in the very early stages of the game (before you have a base set up for farming or have killed something for its meat).

Bites at least I can understand, especially once the player's suit is upgradable. I would imagine that you start out wearing something relatively thin and without any armor, but that keeps gases in and liquids out (basic environmental suit). Something with long claws/teeth would have no problem biting your arm through it. Later, you either add armor plates to the basic suit or replace parts of the suit with new pieces that have integrated armor, decreasing the chance that something could bite through your suit.

10. Kannen2711

Kannen2711 Lieutenant

It would be sweet if you could make the meat and vegetables stack. They just feel like they take up to much inventory space as a single unit. I mean I can carry 100's of blocks in one square, but only 1 tomato?

11. Tyrax Lightning

This effect is caused by the Perish Timers. The Items are forced into being single Items so they can all have a Perish Timer all to themselves.

12. Kannen2711

Kannen2711 Lieutenant

Ah, I see what you are saying. That is quite the predicament. However, if it cannot be remedied then it isn't the worst thing.

13. geostar1024

geostar1024 Rear Admiral

Hopefully the devs realize that simply averaging perish timer values when combining stacks would be an easy solution to the whole problem.

14. Frigidman

Frigidman Rear Admiral

I dont understand how adding a freshly cooked hamburger on the same plate as a hamburger thats been sitting there for two days, is going to magically make that old burger 'better' by association lol ;)

Averaging the perish timers means you can keep adding fresh items to the stack and magically increase all of them longer than they should have lasted.

I believe if they stack items, it should take the lowest value and apply it to all of them in the stack. You risk ruining a whole batch by mixing in old garbage.

Personally I don't see a need for stacks. I've been eating and living just fine on what I grow and create, and stick in the fridge and eat. I don't over-make foods, and thus dont need to horde it.

15. Tyrax Lightning

Another idea is if Canned Meat & Veggies had infinite Perish Time just like E Rations.

Zedd likes this.
  16. Zedd

Zedd Captain

Agreed, canned food should really have infinite perish time.

Also, when making say...a Meat Burger, the product should really have the same nutritional value as ingredients, or at least close e.g. tomato 25 + steak 100 + cheese 80 + bread 80 = 285 not 150! It's not worth the effort to craft most stuff since you actually lose 50% of the food value.

I guess you could argue that you aren't using an entire block of cheese/bunch of tomatoes, but in that case the recipe should for example produce two burgers, giving 142 nutrition each.

Frigidman and Tyrax Lightning like this.
  17. Frigidman

Frigidman Rear Admiral

So far the best bang for the buck in food (easy to make and get resources for), is canned veggies... so making them no-perish would really make them the end-all-be-all to do :(

I think the e-rations being no-perish is what makes them the holy grail to finally put together, even if it only makes 1. I mean, they are truly a lifesaver, and never perish, so you can carry one with you at all times.

18. zztong

zztong Rear Admiral

I use the canned veggies all the time. You can effectively get infinite perish time already without running a fridge. Grow the ingredient crops and leave them unharvested.

I have a number of special greenhouse bases with 36 plants, 4 grow lights, a small generator and a small fuel tank. They are separate bases so they can be powered independently. This way I only can only power them when something is growing. It takes 2-3 hydrogen fuel cells to power a growth cycle. The lights turn off when it runs out of power, but the crops last forever.

Fire up the generator and forget about it. When you need food, come back and harvest 12 cans of food.

19. Tyrax Lightning

Sounds good in SP. I play on the Red vs Blue Server, so I wanna keep everything in my Base Uses to 1 Core to avoid hogging Core Count. :)

20. medicineman

medicineman Captain

I have to eat way to much. I am constantly eating. And yet I never take a drink of water. That just feels off to me. I like having food in the game and that it is a requirement to survive. I just think I'm eating to much of it. I probably eat 14-16 times per omicron day. I haven't exactly counted but I will.

Also I think the vegetables ripen to fast. I have been gardening for years and I love games that let me have some kind of garden. I honestly wish this facet of the game was a little more challenging to reflect the difficulty that comes from growing indoors vs outdoors. Also if you are using heavy fertilizer style agriculture you will deplete and ruin your soil pretty quickly. Shouldn't I have to replace the food plots eventually or at least put them in neutriant saturated mode or something to fix the land after so many crops? Also maybe on some planets there should be vermin.. Especially space mice eating your food.

Oh yeah and if you don't harvest them in enough time they should rot and take the whole planet down with it.