Food System

Discussion in 'FAQ & Feedback' started by EleonGameStudios, Jun 26, 2015.

1. Gary Parkin

Gary Parkin Captain

Done! Good idea.

Tyrax Lightning likes this.
  2. Tyrax Lightning

Tyrax Lightning Rear Admiral

It never has made any sense to me why the SQUARE Grow Lights emit a CIRCULAR Light on the Grow Plots...

blooddragon606, Lhetre and Frigidman like this.
  3. Alwayssleepy

Alwayssleepy Lieutenant

I have ranch where removed turrets near my home.
    From livestock there, I can harvest medkits, ammo, many canned foods.
    It is so easy. My farm space is barren.
    I think unbalanced a little.

4. Boomslang

Boomslang Ensign

I kind of wish I didn't have to eat so often. There are many times I am concentrating on building that I forget to eat and I'm almost passing out.

5. Captain Jack II

Captain Jack II Rear Admiral

You could always opt to build in creative mode. That way there isn't any grind to get in the way of the fun.

Tyrax Lightning and Boomslang like this.
  6. Gary Parkin

Gary Parkin Captain

Or if you're playing singleplayer, use godmode, that way you can fly.

Tyrax Lightning and Boomslang like this.
  7. Boomslang

Boomslang Ensign

Good idea you guys! Thanks.

8. Rappeldrache

Rappeldrache Lieutenant

I started yesterday:

I'm really VERY hungry (ingame). I'm hungry aaaaaaaall the time. It nerves.

I played "The Sims" a bit (years before). It was sooooo annoying that I had to eat all the time, that I have to take showers five time per days, that I have to meet people 3 time per days and so on.
    In real life I eat (sometimes) two times per day, and not soooo mutch (I'm a small person ;) ). My personal "feeling" was a bit: You have to eat every hour here in the game. ;)

I would love a possibility like: "Not so hungry all the time and for this less experience points."
    (Please don't tell me that I can get fat here with all this eating :D ).

9. SilvRav

SilvRav Moderator

Welcome to Empyrion.

In the start you will have to. Once you get to crafting canned food you will eat less

10. Rappeldrache

Rappeldrache Lieutenant

Thank you, @SilvRav

;) So Empyrion is "The Hunger Game" !?! (joke!) ;)

Aurex and Tyrax Lightning like this.
  11. Gary Parkin

Gary Parkin Captain

Welcome Rappeldrache to the black hole that will sick up all of your spare time. This is a great game.
    You'll get more food then you can eat soon. Remember, if you graw 2 tomatoes, and you pick 2, save one for seeds; you'll get 2 seeds/plants from it.

Sounds like a grammar school problem... if Johnny had 2 apples and Mary wanted 1 of them....

Rappeldrache and Tyrax Lightning like this.
  12. EndlessXistence

EndlessXistence Ensign

Been away for a very very long time and not even sure if I'm allowed to say some of this but there's a couple of things people mentioned.

1) there was originally a system being designed so foods could be broken down into protein strains, fats, etc.

2) Originally there was a plant that you could get the milk from so you didn't have to kill to get milk to make cheese.

3) the original food system concept was designed with a tier structure, raw, cooked, frozen/canned/MRE (still with spoilage), and then finally a cryogenic freezer unit that completely stopped spoilage.

4) different foods were originally designed to give benefits/risks

Unfortunately it was all deemed "too complicated" before ever being tested and instead a more "minecraft" approach was taken.

Love seeing so many people suggesting things that were in the original design.

13. Lhetre

Lhetre Commander

Too much food can be obtained by looting POIs, any POI. Food is too abundant. Enemies shouldn't drop food.
    I like the need to get food, even water, even some sort of radiation poisoning would be welcome.
    As it is you may craft so many types of food, but none of them has any use.
    Food should be more of a rare resource and more difficult to preserve. e.g. on lava planets heat should damage food more quickly, barren planets should hinder crop growing (no water).

Exacute and Tyrax Lightning like this.
  14. Diamaht

Diamaht Lieutenant

I would say at the moment the food system is really nice, the only issue IMO is the lack of variety. I can't ever seem to find a reason to make anything other than Salami in the beginning and either Canned Meat or Canned Veggies. The expiration timers on everything else are far too short and they offer no real benefit to offset the short timers.

15. Rappeldrache

Rappeldrache Lieutenant

Ok, right now the Food system is great for me! I can eat French fries and popcorn like hell .... and no calorie problems. Hrhrhrhr .... :D

I would love MORE plants, more variety, more meals to cook. BUT .... these are things that could be done later, AFTER the really important stuff is well done. :)

Thanks. :)

ion_storm, Zedd and Tyrax Lightning like this.
  16. pachangas

pachangas Lieutenant

The main problem with foods:
    • Once you get to canned food there's nothing else needed.
    • There's only a few meds you need.
    But equally, once you get over the initial struggle for food, it's nice not to have to worry about it as it becomes distracting. Maybe if feeding was automatic while in a vehicle or base; yes you need to have the food there, but you shouldn't be distracted by the need to feed.

17. Swilky

Swilky Ensign

My wife plays to farm and she loves making food. A much bigger verity of plants and more craft-able foods would be amazing! It would also be cool if you had to goto different planets to find the plants for seedlings.

18. Trendane

Trendane Lieutenant

To further develop this idea...

Since we have seen that airlocks and such will be coming into play soon, it would also be interesting if the players had to maintain that environmental conditions for those plants from other planets. Different soil and atmosphere types for plants from different worlds. Some farming structures might require completely different light levels/spectral ranges, and would have to be constructed without windows or underground and use different grow lights.

Personnel would have to be helmeted to work in these zones since the atmospheric conditions would be lethal otherwise. But, the resources they produce ( converted gases, liquids, etc ) could be used in crafting....something else. I'd have to think on that a bit more.

19. blooddragon606

blooddragon606 Captain

It never made sense to me either. A 5kw light IRL is like a big stage/spot light or search light. 10 of these should provide a midday brightness to an area the size of a football field...that might be a slight exaggeration...maybe a tennis court.

Ofcourse I had to look up some real-life growing lights to sate my curiosity, and here's a nice one from hydrobuilder. Covers 1 growing plot and uses 0.4kw. To cover 9 plots would require 3.6kw, compared to the in-game 5kw light. I was surprised to see they were that close. I still get bugged that I can only put one plant in a 2x2m block of dirt, but since all plants in-game are perennial AND they bloom daily, I'm not going to complain too loudly.

https://hydrobuilder.com/california...mpaign=SS550&gclid=CMKZ07Oj_NICFQMvaQoddbwOqg

20. Gary Parkin

Gary Parkin Captain

In my opinion the grow lights are bugged. They should have it a square light and not round and that would look much better when you laid them every third block like they should be.