General

Discussion in 'FAQ & Feedback' started by EleonGameStudios, Jun 26, 2015.

1. Reytag

Reytag Lieutenant

In regards to update v5.1:

My AI CV's no longer spawn, they are automatically replaced by regular freighters.
    Unfortunately there is also quite a bit of flickering on objects when moving / panning the camera, flickering seems to stop approx. 2 seconds after camera stops. Flickering observed on ship hulls, asteroids...
    Laser fire should be more beam-like, as in, thinner and elongated beams of light, at the moment they are more like blobs, too round.
    Woa there on the flares.... now I need to squint to play the game. Flares should not be present on every light emitting device in a game, especially in broad daylight.
    The detail of lights, thrusters etc is now lost behind flares.
    When approaching the alien space station POI it looks like a swarm of angry giant red space fireflies is going to attack.
    [​IMG]
    Update: Every energy weapon looks like blobs of light, just different colors.

Passing through a green playfield barrier while in god mode will get you stuck in the barrier, must use teleport command to get out or re-log.

Water often looks like liquid metal.

Planet fog is now much thicker in general, having to edit playfields to tone it down so I / we can see.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
    VISION305 and Tyrax Lightning like this.
  2. Tanksy

Tanksy Ensign

I've noticed the flickering on the flare emitted by weapon lights when moving. Noticeable on the Multi-Tool.

Also when moving over slopes or terrain, my character slows ever so slightly seemingly at random, or in transition from slope to flat surface. There's a noticeable "step" or "bump" as you move.

Tyrax Lightning and VISION305 like this.
  3. VISION305

VISION305 Rear Admiral

I have experienced this as well only last night. I started a new single player game on Omicron walking on mountains or slopes creates a nasty camera shake. Something is wrong with that.

4. Captain Jack II

Captain Jack II Rear Admiral

Fog is supposed to make it hard to see... that's kinda the point of fog isn't it?

The bumping thing feels intentional... bumping into a desk or rock causes the player to behave like they just bumped into a desk or rock. Should walking up a mountain-side be smooth?

Tyrax Lightning likes this.
  5. Reytag

Reytag Lieutenant

Yes, the camera shake/vibration is over the top and applied now nearly everywhere.

Tyrax Lightning and VISION305 like this.
  6. VISION305

VISION305 Rear Admiral

Up until recently it was smooth. The bumping is not so realistic. The real human mind automatically adjusts for these things so that you dont experience the bumping.

What happens in the game right now, is that as you are walking up a mountain or just near hills or dunes, the camera shakes violently almost. It is way too strong and can potentially make some people dizzy. It is the equivalent of camera shaking and the player should be able to turn it off.

In Star Citizen news, they recently had to tweak the camera shake so that it is almost gone completely. It was important to do it. I dont mean to bring up another game, but we all know Star Citizen is special exception.

Neal and Tyrax Lightning like this.
  7. VISION305

VISION305 Rear Admiral

It is not being handled very well. It doesnt even behave like I have seen in other games. It is too aggressive. There needs to be an option to turn it off. But also, I dont recall there being any mentions of this in the patch notes that is why I still think it is a bug. I could be wrong though.

8. Captain Jack II

I noticed it when they tweaked the player roll with the jetpack in space... 5.1.810 I believe.

VISION305 and Tyrax Lightning like this.
  9. Wraithcat

Wraithcat Lieutenant

Hover mining is an absolute disaster! It is simply NOT "fit for purpose".

Hover mining is good in concept, but the execution leaves a lot to be desired.

I've used a number of the blueprints, but hover vessels simply don't have the capacity to be able to mine effectively because of their Nap of Earth flying, which means that they are forever toppling over and seem to spend most of their time on thier backs and at weird angles to the ground that make it impossible to mine efficiently. This is especially annoying, when trying to regain the surface, only to realise that you've exactly no idea of what direction you are heading, or where you are in relation to the surface, or even, which way is up!

Unlike real pilots, players don't have thier inner ear to tell them when they are upside down and this is a fatal flaw in the current design.

Indeed, after having played the game for nearly a year, with over 260 hours under my belt, this is the only part of the game that I actively dread. In fact, I hate it so much, that it could even be a deal breaker on an otherwise promising game. Personally, I'd go back to the player being allowed to have as many auto miners as they want, but can understand that this might limit things in multiplayer games.

Personally, I'd suggest that the Devs simply get rid of this absurdity and focus on the current hand held mining system that actually works! It seems that there are a few upgrades that the mining tool could have (using exotic minerals), that would allow the same speedy rate of mining, while avoiding the pitfalls of the hover based system. Basically, the Devs should figure out how fast they think that people should be mining at a particular level and create a hand held mining laser that does the job.

Problem solved.

However, as this is probably someone's "baby", I'm guessing that we'll be stuck with hover mining for the foreseeable future. Given this, I'd suggest the following improvements.

1. Allow all hovercraft to be able to maintain a horizontal angle without having to continually have fingers on the "O" key to stabalise flight. Frankly, it beats me as to why this isn't already implemented into the flying model. Similarly, allow the player to set and maintain a preferred height in hover vehicles.

2. Allow miners to automatically surface, by the quickest viable route.

3. Allow an upgrade that will allow miners to fly higher off the ground than other hover vehicles.

4. Create miners as a unique ship class with the flight characteristics of the small ship, but the size of the hover vessel.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
  10. Reytag

Reytag Lieutenant

The "setdevicespublic" command is not working, it says for example "set 38 of container to 0000" but it does not actually do it, codes are still "----" and therefore not usable by public. The only way is to do it manually.
    Tried both in SP creative mode and on a dedicated server.

11. Dionysos

Dionysos Commander

Well said!

spanj, Tyrax Lightning and Wraithcat like this.
  12. Reytag

Reytag Lieutenant

Really would be great to have font sizes in LCD panels large enough to make a single letter fill up a 1x1 full panel. Then I can make my space billboards. Tried today but the largest font size of 50 only fills approx. 1/16th of a 1x1 panel (1/4 width by 1/4 height, roughly).

13. Gary Parkin

Gary Parkin Captain

I love the new models Dev's, for the individual parts.

14. Reytag

Reytag Lieutenant

Recent updates have imo taken the game a step back in terms of visuals.

Lighting was fine, now with all the flares, reflections and apparent intensity increase there are super bright spots everywhere, it really looks horrible. Interior of many bases and vessel hangars now look way too bright and reflective.

Game has also started to stutter a lot more during regular movement, even in godmode, whereby it was before a smooth forward movement with some hitching here and there as terrain loaded it now moves forwards in a jerkey movement on top of the terrain hitching.

CPU usage is way too high, 35-45% constant on high settings. Low setting reduces CPU usage ~10%. The question is why, what graphics oriented process are being handles by the CPU?
    I can run most AAA games on ultra and play smooth with around 16-22% CPU usage, why does this game need 40+%, in creative mode when nothing is evening happening around me?
    My specs are i7-4790k, AMD 390x 8GB, 24GB RAM, 2560x1080.

I would rather lighting be reverted to how it was in 3.x and 4.x, take out all the flares except maybe the sun flares (we aren't all looking at the world through a camera lense anyway, human eyes don't see "lense flare").

Even turning lights down to 1.0 and 5m doesn't help.
    I need to put on my shades if I fly in 3rd person view, that lense flare o_O

Concentrate more on bug fixes, optimizations, content like more options for the vessel AI, allow us to control things like structure limits, difficulty levels, offline protection etc per playfield.yaml and not server wide.
    But please, stop playing around with the light, it has gotten progressively worse in the last few months and cpu usage/framerates have too.

*Update: On maximum settings running across the top of a large CV - CPU is around 60% with lots of stuttering and 5.5GB VRam usage :eek:
    In retrospect GTA-V on max settings with an entire living breathing city in front of me (meaning lots of AI in use) is 28% CPU, smooth movement and 3.8GB VRAM.
    Do I expect the same level of optimization in Empyrion now, no, just giving a comparison to show that something is off.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
    Gary Parkin and Tyrax Lightning like this.
  15. Gary Parkin

Gary Parkin Captain

I totally agree on reversing the lighting. Nice try but it causes issues.
    Those spots are lens flares, and caused by camera lenses and would never be seen by the naked eye.

Tyrax Lightning and Reytag like this.
  16. SilvRav

SilvRav Moderator

On that note, spots should also have a further reach...flying my CV on the darkside of a planet/moon I always bumped into mountains as by the time the spot shows it its to late.

Gary Parkin and Tyrax Lightning like this.
  17. Reytag

Reytag Lieutenant

SilvRav, that would require CV's to actually have Spotlight cubes which they don't right now but I agree that they should.
    A regular light never will nor should be enough to light up the terrain like a headlamp/headlight.

Would be nice for CV's to get Spotlight Cubes just like their SV counterparts. However, please do not put a big flare on it ;)

18. Reytag

Reytag Lieutenant

Here, this is a good example, here is a unicycle type HV with a spotlight facing forwards, note that I am actually to the side and back what would IRL be a few inches, so in no way should I be seeing this blinding flare from a headlamp when I am not even in front of the vehicle :confused:
    [​IMG]

I would like to personally try a build with the following.

Remove flares from EVERY light source, except as follows:
    Leave sunshafts as they are, that's ok.
    Maybe flares on the thrusters as they add an interesting touch but definitely reduce their visibility by 50-75%.

Light point intensity needs to be turned down to about 50% of current while light cast intensity should be increased ever so slightly.
    Light reflection should also be turned down a lot, its far too high, maybe also start with 50% of what it is currently.

That would indeed be an interesting build to try.

This used to be a nice evenly lit hangar bay with light fixtures you could see. Now its unevenly lit and lights are almost painful to look at causing super bright reflective hotspots.
    [​IMG]

Here is a Med bay, ouch, grab my welding mask, shield me from those lights.
    [​IMG]
    I mean, you can't even see the lights anymore, JUST flares.

Settings by the way are brightness 0 and bloom off!

Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
  19. Captain Jack II

I don't know what the performance hit is, but every little bit counts. I think we can do without the butterflies casting shadows.

20. Tyrax Lightning

Tyrax Lightning Rear Admiral

Now that ya mention it, we also don't need Butterflies flying IN THE GROUND & UNDER THE BEDROCK... Why are they being Spawned there anyway? o_O

Senator Mendoza likes this.