[GUIDE] HEAT, RADIATION and OXYGEN 101 (Alpha 6.0)

Discussion in 'Experimental Features Discussion' started by rainyday, Mar 27, 2017.

1. rainyday

rainyday Well-Known Member

HEAT, RADIATION and OXYGEN 101 - ALPHA 6.0

NOTE: All of this is subject to change. So be warned, if you encounter problems in space because following this guide, I am not held responsible!

Here is a link to the Official Alpha 6.0 FAQ: http://empyriononline.com/threads/read-first-alpha-6-0-gameplay-faq.10344/

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We have to build our ships differently than before. We need to make sure we are not putting any heat sources too close to our living space and that our ships are airtight to hold the oxygen in and the harsh environment out.

Lets talk about heat first.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HEAT AND RADIATION

Heat (and radiation) can be a problem if you are not planning your ship around it. Keep the heat sources away from the places you are walking and especially away from the places you might want to stop for a while (constructors etc.). Depending of the ship size, its probably a good idea to build separate compartments for the worst heat sources.

The way heat and radiation work is basically the same.

On how to read the different heat numbers on your HUD and how to protect yourself against them, check my other guide: http://empyriononline.com/threads/guide-surviving-in-space-101-experimental-6-0.10422/

Here are the some of examples heat and radiation sources.

NOTE!
    These are just examples of some the item types, general consensus is THE BIGGER THE ITEM - MORE HEAT & RADIATION IT EMITS!

• WARP CORE - LOT OF HEAT and RADIATION.
    • GRAVITY GENERATOR - Some HEAT and RADIATION. This is not too bad, you can get away this being in a corner or alongside corridor somewhere. Just not in a place where you need to stop a lot.
    • GENERATOR - LOT OF HEAT
    • THRUSTERS - MASSIVE AMOUNT OF HEAT and some RADIATION.
    • FUEL TANKS - Little RADIATION. If you wear light armour, you'll be fine. Much smaller than for example radiation level in Omicron (3.5)
    • WARP FUEL TANK - Some HEAT and RADIATION. Medium armor is enough to protect.
    • GROWTH LIGHT - Some HEAT. Medium armor is enough to protect.

So atleast these things you want to keep away from your living quarters!

Heat/radiation is emitted ONE BLOCK away. Walls itself don't block heat/radiation, but they of course create space between the heat source and you.

OXYGENATED VESSELS AND BASES

Lets go step by step what you need to make your vessel to be OXYGENATED. When oxygenated, you can take off your helmet in your vessel and use the O2 in your vessel oxygen tanks rather than use up your suit oxygen. You have the 02 symbol in the hud telling you have oxygen to breath in.

All vessels and bases can be oxygenated (SV, HV, CV and BA).

!!! AIRTIGHT !!!
    Your vessel has to be airtight in order for you to have it oxygenated. Your vessel also needs to be airtight (but not necessarily oxygented) in order for you to be protected from the outside environment. When airtight, inside temperature is 22 celsius all around (apart from possible hot spots from your own equipment) and thus protecting you for example from the coldness of space. Vessel also needs to be powered (radiation protection will work even if not powered).

What does airtight mean? Let's talk about it next.

1. MAKE THE SHIP/BASE AIRTIGHT!
    To hold the oxygen in and the harsh environment out. This can be tricky as we are not used to building like this. If you notice that after you've setup everything, you only have air right next to ventilators, you probably have a leak somewhere. You can press (and hold) N and click on the Oxygen tab for visible information about he oxygen flow. From the same menu you can access the airtight block view which might help you hunt down holes.

If you have problems, my tip is to seal of parts of the ship and try to find the area with the leak that way by eliminating parts of the ship with walls. You might need some extra ventilators for testing. You can keep the ventilators/oxygenation ON, if you manage to make ship or parts of it airtight, air will start to flow. You will note this by the O2 symbol in your hud all around the ship.

Important - Also remember that air needs free block space (or a block space with non-airtight block in it) in order to flow. Too narrow builds might block the airflow - as a block space is either airtight or not. Orientation of the block itself doesn't matter. For example if you have a window - air will not flow past that block, no matter which direction the window is facing.

Hunting for leaks can be difficult and time consuming and I recommend spawning the ship in creative and take a closer look there.

Some things that are NOT airtight:

-LCD Screens
    -Some doors (the ones without blue forcefields)
    -Ramps
    -Shutter window (transparent version)
    -CV weapons
    -Oxygen and Fuel Tanks
    -Cargo Box 2 and 3
    -!!!GROUND!!! (always check the floor!)

... and so on.

LifPizzas has done really helpful video regarding the different non-airtight/airtight blocks and good tips regarding oxygenated rooms in general:

You only know whether your ship is airtight for sure after going thru all the rest of the steps. You think you've got your ship airtight, move to the next phase.

2. ADD VENTILATORS

This is the new block. This will provide air to your base or vessel. Make sure atleast one of its sides is unblocked towards the room/area you want oxygenated so it can provide air.

20170327075318_1.jpg

When building notice that airtight doors can also work against you! They will cut out the air supply to the other room so you will have to make sure you have ventilators in each different area of the ship or base. If you only have one area that is all connected, one ventilator should be enough.

Multiple ventilators and divided compartments have of course their uses - it will be more robust against damage as one hole won't bring the whole vessel oxygen system down.

20170327075622_1.jpg
    Blue forcefield will tell you whether the door is airtight or not. Note that vessel needs to be powered in order for it to be visible. This door leads to outside, so we want to make sure its airtight.

3. OXYGEN TANKS
    Add oxygen tanks.
    20170327075409_1.jpg

Add Oxygen. This can be done easily via the new interface which connects ALL the tanks. Make sure you have enough, you can see how much air you need in the control panel.
    20170327075407_1.jpg

4. TURN ON THE OXYGEN

Go to the Control Panel (P) and click on the "O2" checkbox in order to turn on the oxygen supply.

oxygen.jpg

You're done! You should have air in your ship now.

...and if not, go back to step one and try again. It might need some trial and error.

One thing to note in the Control Panel, it also shows your oxygen:

-How much 02 you need for to oxygenate the vessel
    -Total how much oxygen you have in your tanks
    -Current 02 in base use

So be sure you have enough oxygen to oxygenate your base vessel. If not, add more 02 tanks/more oxygen and fill them with oxygen.

!!! WARNING !!!
    Safe way to turn off oxygen is clicking on the 'O2' switch in control panel. That way the oxygen will return to the tanks. DO NOT TURN OFF VENTILATORS MANUALLY BEFORE YOU HAVE TURNED OFF 'O2'. If you do this - you will lose all the air currently in the base/vessel.

- - - - - - - -

So thats it - have fun in space and be safe! Don't try to cut corners when building, build smart so you dont have to fix them later!

Hope this helps and if you have any questions or the guide seems to be missing something let me know.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
    Kaeser, Fractalite, Ivellios and 10 others like this.
  2. geostar1024

geostar1024 Well-Known Member

Might be worth noting that fuel tanks put out a little radiation (0.2 per small, 0.4 per medium, 0.8 per large).

amurayiwestgate likes this.
  3. rainyday

Good call. I checked them but I guess it was lost to the static :) And Im pretty sure Core emits something too, have to check that out later.

4. geostar1024

geostar1024 Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure it doesn't, as I've spent a good amount of time standing on one while doing some texturing, and never got any temperature or radiation spikes.

rainyday likes this.
  5. Zuleica

Zuleica Well-Known Member

I don't think it does either, it's not a reactor core...it's a computer core.

rainyday likes this.
  6. rainyday

Just saw it mentioned in another thread - thought I'd have to check it out. But thank you and @geostar1024 for verifying thats not the case :)

7. ITguy1981

ITguy1981 Active Member

It seemed like my base was eating tons of oxygen. I have 20 of the largest tanks filled and I get about two hours of oxygen before it ran out. I ended up using sealed doors along with multiple ventilators for rooms that I don't spend a lot of time in such as individual player(s) rooms, kitchen, greenhouse, etc. I tied the lights and O2 in to levers for each room. That way the lights and O2 can be turned on before a person enters and turned off when they leave. As far as I could tell I didn't have leaks anywhere as every room showed oxygenated. So for now I'll stick to leaving some rooms off unless I need to use them.

rainyday likes this.
  8. Zuleica

Others items that do or do not provide seals:

CV weapons: the large multi-block base of guns and rocket launchers does not provide airtight seal. :( It really should...

O2 and fuel tanks: I believe do provide seal, can anyone confirm?

Cargo containers: Anyone know? I wanted to make a large freighter with both external and internal access to cargo containers.

rainyday likes this.
  9. rainyday

CV O2 and Fuel tanks, negative - not airtight.

About cargo containers - Cargo Box 2 and 3 not airtight - but the Cargo Box and Cargo Box 1 are!

Cargo Box 1 20170327232641_1.jpg
    Airtight, as can be seen.

Other things:
    -Bigger/higher tier stuff -> emits more heat (and radiation). So smaller is safer.
    -Fuel tanks have very little Radiation as mentioned - but only on top and one side.
    -Warp Drive emits only to sides and front - back is safe.
    -Warp Fuel tank emits some heat and radiation.
    -Generators only emit to the top.
    ...and so on

As can be seen the directions these things emit heat and radiation seem to be really arbitrary at this point. Remains to be seen if it will change.

Small vessel (closed) cockpits seem to be fine and safe place to be. Can have thrusters etc right at your back.

Updated the first post.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
  10. Zuleica

Repair blocks are not airtight! grrrrrrrr

11. Zuleica

Was their any rhyme or reason to what they decided was going to be airtight?

12. rainyday

Work in progress most likely. I just want to try to help find what works and what don't right now. As it is quite difficult trying to find & fill the holes in our leaking ships as is.

BUT I think the oxygen / airtight system itself is working pretty well currently. I haven't encountered any bugs since the last patch. For example my Workshop base started leaking since the patch - but it had MULTIPLE holes in it that the system didn't previously detect, but now does.

Sure there might be some blocks that should be airtight but the system currently seems to be great otherwise. Just need something to help detecting WHERE the leak is.

13. LiftPizzas

LiftPizzas Well-Known Member

I was thinking about how to make a flood-fill algorithm tell the difference between "inside" and "outside." I think the way to do it would be to have a detector block you place to mark the "exterior." When you turn on the ventilator, if the O2 floodfill attempt reaches this detector block, the attempt stops and it instead highlights a path from the detector to the ventilator. It stays this way until the ventilator is cycled again.

rainyday likes this.
  14. rainyday

That could work too. I had an idea about something similar than SI vision. It would simply show airtight blocks green and non-airtight red.

Zor_The_Cruel and Siege Inc. like this.
  15. BlackCat

BlackCat New Member

It looks air tight, thus, I think it should be.

16. thejekyll

thejekyll Member

Awesome post. Thanks for this. Im getting excited for these changes. I can imagine how much different builds and space PVP is going to be when this goes live. Better have bulkheads or you might be in serious trouble.

rainyday likes this.
  17. Daede

Daede Well-Known Member

There is either a max distance or a max volume a single ventilator can handle.

I went through one of my CVs yesterday, moving thrusters, putting up railings to keep people out of hot zones, sealing leaks (of which, there was honestly only one), swapping doors and installing ventilators - and I ended up having to use 2 ventilators for the ship, because nothing I did would extend the flow of air all the way to the cockpit, despite being airtight. Once I put a second ventilator near the cockpit, the entire ship was full of air and not leaking...It sucks, though, because I reworked the entire interior of the ship to accommodate a single ventilator providing air to the whole structure.

In this endeavor, I also noticed some serious issues with partial blocks (half walls, slopes, etc) causing air to STOP flowing through an area it clearly should. I had to put a fair amount of shielding between my warp core and one of my corridors, which required me to build out to starboard a little bit. I accomplished the additional shielding with half blocks (and slopes) and made a hallway that went diagonally for a bit, straight for a while, then diagonally back to its original path. This corridor was 2x2 diagonal, 7 straight, then 2x2 diagonal back again, using slopes to make the diagonal portions. The result was a hallway oxygenated at both ends but not along the corridor. To fix this, I took the slope pieces at the top (corridor is 2 blocks tall), and air flows everywhere as it should. I even ended up taking it out to full blocks and full slopes (was still getting a little heat and radiation from the warp core @ 1.5blocks away), and the problem persisted.
    [​IMG]
    When I put the slope block back, on either side, the oxygen to this WIDE hallways disappears.

Another issue I've had with oxygenation is sometimes random blocks completely surrounded by oxygen are not oxygenated:

[​IMG]
    DaFuq, amirite? There's just randomly no air there. I even tried moving the thruster, thinking maybe you can't make air next to something that generates so much heat (which, btw, I've yet to be able to overheat standing anywhere near this thruster - which is why it's still where it is), but it had no effect.

Anyways, just a few things to chew on. If you like, I'd be happy to upload screens of all the ways I made the Ganymede A6 ready.

rainyday likes this.
  18. rainyday

Thanks for the post. Will be interested how have you done the ship, seems cool. And your problem is indeed strange. You have enough O2, right? I havent yet played with big volumes yet but have to test. Doesn't seem like its leak. Maybe its something the devs want to look at, if it does that still after respawning, ventilator change and O2 refill - I would post it in the bugs section.

About that thruster - if you spin it around you will get heat. They are bit weird at the moment as they radiate only at certain sides. Like the back of the warp core is currently totally safe.

19. Daede

Daede Well-Known Member

Yeah, I've got plenty of O2. I am adding more tanks, though, because I do run out fast enough. Add me on Steam, Capt. John Sheridan (Jay, Deltona, FL, US), and I'll upload the Ganymede-A6 sometime today. You can spawn it and have a look (also thinking of putting an a6 server up alongside my 5.5.1 server). Just please don't share. I plan to publish it to the public as 6.0 releases...

20. rainyday

@Daede Done. As we are in quite different time zones, will have better time to look at it tomorrow. No sharing, of course.

Daede likes this.