[GUIDE] Surviving in space 101 (Alpha 6)

Discussion in 'Experimental Features Discussion' started by rainyday, Mar 27, 2017.

1. rainyday

rainyday Rear Admiral

SURVIVING IN SPACE 101 - ALPHA 6.0

NOTE: All of this is subject to change. So be warned, if you encounter problems in space because following this guide, I am not held responsible!

Here is a link to the Official Experimental 6.0 FAQ: http://empyriononline.com/threads/alpha-6-0-experimental-faq.10344/

Previously, we could just pop into space and be fine. Not anymore, we need to go prepared if we are to survive. It's cold, really really cold so we need to armour up!

Note that you can always use a vessel to survive in space. Just make sure you are using closed cockpit or have airtight cabin. Also remember that vessel needs to be powered to be able to produce heat - so don't turn off your SV in space.

Survival tip: If you have problems finding enough armour & boosters to protect you, you can do what @LiftPizzas did and build an SV with big enough airtight indoor compartment. So that you can spawn your drone inside (or out of the door) and use it to mine or build in space. This can be handy on harsher planets or during nights too. So not finding good enough armour & boosters won't stop you from gathering resources and travelling to other planets!

MORE ABOUT VESSEL HEAT AND OXYGEN SETUP can be read here: http://empyriononline.com/threads/guide-vessel-heat-and-oxygen-101-experimental-6-0.10423/

But thats enough about vessels - lets talk about surviving in space with just your armour.

THE INFORMATION WE NEED

First, lets look at the new information how it looks:

[​IMG]

So don't get fooled, the most prominently displayed heat information is the temperature around you - not your actual temperature! So It may fluctuate, a lot, depending on where you are. The actual temperature you are interested in (which tells you whether you're ok or not) is in the right - your temperature.

Note that the information about radiation below the temperature works basically the same way.

If either temperature or radiation EXCEEDS your comfort zone, the appropriate warning sign will light up red. If the OUTSIDE temperature or radiation exceeds your limits, warning signs will lit up white.

[​IMG]
    If warning signs have lit up white means the outside temperature or radiation is dangerous for you. You are currently safe but proceed with caution if heading outside.

[​IMG]

Red warning symbols mean that the current temperature or radiation are greater than your armor can handle. Head for safety!

WHAT TO PREPARE FOR

Well how cold is it in space? There are two different orbit temperatures - either -100 or -200 celsius.
    For example Akua, Omicron and Masperon orbits are -100 celsius. And Zeyhines Orbit is -200 celsius.

WHAT ARMOUR STATS ARE RELEVANT

You will need to look at Comfort Zone (temp.) and Radiation Protection. As long as Temperature/Radiation don't exceed those numbers - you are okay. Remember that while inside a base or vessel - you can see the outside radiation and temperature. So you will always know whether its safe outside.

Armours are not enough by themselves to survive in space - you will need EVA booster.

The actual time you have depends how good protection your armour has. Its very different to be in armour with good cold protection (but not quite enough) than in just your indoor suit with no protection at all. But note that warming up is not instantaneous either! So don't cut it too close. Also note that powered down vessels are not warm. For example if you have unpowered SV docked outside your CV and you've been travelling around - it will be cold for a while even if you power it up!

Survival tip: Heat coming from thrusters and generators can be dangerous - as suits geared towards space have excellent cold protection but poor heat protection. But if being careful, heat sources can also heat you up and prolong the time you can spend in space with less than optimal protection!

HOW TO SETUP YOUR ARMOUR TO BE ABLE TO SURVIVE IN SPACE

So how to setup your armour? First, you will need Armour Locker, thats where you can change and modify your armour.

In the armour locker you can setup your armour. What is nice thing about that is that you can setup a suit specifically for space and put it in the locker in case you need to go space exploring. Boosters will remain attached so its always ready to go.

To make it short, to survive in space with just your suit, you will need:

• If the temperature is -100, you will need at least LIGHT ARMOUR + EVA BOOSTER. This setup is also enough to protect from the background radiation.
    a_light_3.jpg

• If the temperature is -200, you will need HEAVY ARMOUR + EVA BOOSTER. This setup is also enough to protect from the background radiation.
    Note: Also medium & light armour with one EVA booster are enough to protect you from the cold of -200 celsius space - but not from radiation.
    a_heavy_3.jpg

Note, some boosters will affect your cold resistance NEGATIVELY. So always check your armour final COMFORT ZONE. Also note INSULATION BOOSTER is NOT sufficient in space - it will be useful only on planets with higher or lower than normal temperatures - but not against the extreme temperatures in space.

- - - - - - - -

So thats it - have fun in space and be safe! Don't go wandering about unprepared, that only gets you killed!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
    En_Ma, KITIMA3, Kaeser and 17 others like this.
  2. Hummel-o-War

Hummel-o-War Administrator
    Staff Member Community Manager

deserves a /pinned

3. belthize

belthize Lieutenant

Thanks for this. I'd strongly recommend that the ambient temperature and your temperature get swapped in the GUI.

Your temperature is the important one so it should be the prominent number on the left. The right should be temp around you on top, temp outside on bottom.

4. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

I agree, priority should me my temperature, the environment around me and outside in that order. It might be nice to have each temperature colour-coded for an at-a-glance indicator of any danger, green = Ok, Amber = ok, for now but limited time, with Red being you'll be in trouble quickly.

Scoob.

5. Amun Raa

Amun Raa Ensign

Thank you :);)

rainyday likes this.
  6. BlackCat

BlackCat Ensign

Will there be powered spacesuits? The ones used in space today can handle extreme temperature ranges, but require power.

7. rainyday

rainyday Rear Admiral

FYI, some orbit temperatures have been adjusted. For example Masperon space was -100 celsius last time I checked.

8. XeroTerragoth

XeroTerragoth Captain

Kudos to you rainyday, you probably saved my virtual life in the future :3

I haven't gotten much time to play lately with a 2 yo in tow, so I haven't spent much time in space since switching to experimental, no doubt the UI would have thrown me off. I probably would have figured this out eventually, but not until after succumbing to the icy grip of death a few times. :D

rainyday likes this.
  9. rainyday

rainyday Rear Admiral

10. rainyday

rainyday Rear Admiral

UPDATED TO EXPERIMENTAL 6.02 build 941

Biggest change:
    -LIGHT ARMOUR is NOW ENOUGH to survive in -130 space WITH 2x EVA BOOSTERS

Daede likes this.
  11. rainyday

rainyday Rear Admiral

RADIATION protection is currently messed up (as can be seen from couple of my screenshots, will change them once fix is out) so don't get confused if you are having problems with radiation.

dQgnflua likes this.
  12. rainyday

rainyday Rear Admiral

Radiation protection is working again since the last patch. Updated some of the pics to meet the new version. Added information about the warning symbols lit up white (temp or rad outside exceeds your limits).

13. amurayiwestgate

amurayiwestgate Commander

Couldn't agree more!

Lycanite likes this.
  14. TimOFlea

TimOFlea Lieutenant

Note: Look at what is considered airtight as well on you vessel. I found out the hard way that square bases of guns are not considered to be airtight, but round jet engine are, go figure. Didn't notice leak on Akua until I broke orbit an died, several times, before I could get back to planet with sv. Found handy guide showing what was airtight and what wasn't but didn't mention guns as not.

rainyday likes this.
  15. Ghost of Starman

I don't want to be "that guy," but...

I'm pretty sure space is really freakin' cold, but vacuum is also a really good insulator. Like, anything in space will freeze eventually, but you're not losing heat the way you are in, say, antarctic winds or icy water. There's just nothing to carry the heat away. In fact, I think finding ways to dump waste heat is usually more of a problem because, like... where do you put it?

I mean, I'm sure we've got some space enthusiasts on these forums (and on the dev team) so feel free to set me straight if I'm way off-base.

KITIMA3, Syncretos and geostar1024 like this.
  16. geostar1024

geostar1024 Rear Admiral

Yes, that's correct; the only way to get rid of heat in space is through radiation. This thread has a lot of thoughts on the subject:

http://empyriononline.com/threads/6-0e-feedback-temperature-and-radiation.10346/

17. ITguy1981

ITguy1981 Commander

I think it would make more sense to separate the numbers all together. Why not put your temperature and radiation with all of the other characters bars. I think a good place for the temperature and radiation of the area could be somewhere around the minimap.

Syncretos and geostar1024 like this.
  18. Mike Loeven

Mike Loeven Commander

Sorry but unless EVA boosters and medium and heavy armors are craft-able than this is a not a legitimate game mechanic as it relies entirely on looted items which will become depleted on the starting planet within less than a week on a server with any kind of population. Simply bad game design no matter how you look at it. Just get rid of the temperature mechanic in space its really not something you should inflict on your players and if you actually bothered to read the feed back forms the vast majority of players disapprove of this system not to mention the science of heat transfer in a vacuum makes it pretty clear that even with minimal insulation a human would have hours of survivability before they would loose enough heat to suffer hypothermia. (the mechanism by which people flash freeze in the movies is due to explosive decompression which does not occur with EVA) And its kinda insulting that the devs posted use a pressurized ship as a workaround because this is exactly that a workaround not a solution to a major design defect. Basically when you have both the community and science (not to mention sanity and common sense) going against you its time to admit you screwed up and revise the mechanics.

Honestly the space insulation thing as it stands is going drive off new or just more casual players. when that happens there is no salvaging things and the game dies.

Last edited: May 15, 2017
    geostar1024 likes this.
  19. Drogos

Drogos Ensign

RE: Temperature and Radiation information

IMO, this should be done as a gauge, with the bounds being your low/high after boosters, and a pointer to current conditions. It would be much more useful AND visually appealing.

20. geostar1024

geostar1024 Rear Admiral

That would make for an excellent indicator, and alleviate the need to continually check one's inventory to find the benefits the current suit provides. A toggle in the settings menu to turn on numbers to go along with the gauge would be even better.

dtmullican, Syncretos and rainyday like this.