[HINT] "Copyright" of Workshop Blueprints

Discussion in 'Knowledge & Info' started by Dead8Eye, Mar 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. medicineman

medicineman Captain

I liked the internet a lot better when it was just some other nerds and I discussing sci fi and dungeons and dragons. Damn you Bill Gates and America online.

Qwantum and Tyrax Lightning like this.
  2. =TCR= Big_Red

=TCR= Big_Red Rear Admiral

Well its much better than Wildcat BBS software and all that goes with it

Tyrax Lightning likes this.
  3. stimdealer0001

stimdealer0001 Captain

*makes dial up noises*

4. medicineman

medicineman Captain

Wildcat was awesome! I still get the bug to play some Barren Realms Elite from time to time.

5. =TCR= Big_Red

I still have it and its on a 386 with turbo boost lol. Should i plug it in for ya lol

Tyrax Lightning and medicineman like this.
  6. LiftPizzas

LiftPizzas Rear Admiral

BTW regarding the topic here, just to avoid any confusion all of my blueprints are released under terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 license and I am putting that note in the description of all my workshop uploads.
    https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/
    You are free to:
    Share — copy and redistribute the material in any medium or format
    Adapt — remix, transform, and build upon the material
    for any purpose, even commercially.

(And actually I don't really care about the attribution part. I just don't want the word "copyright" associated with my blueprints.)

I don't remember which BBS software it was, but there was a plugin called gameconnection that let you play Doom2 and other games LAG FREE across a 14.4 connection. That was awesome and what got me hooked on deathmatch.

JayStrider and Tyrax Lightning like this.
  7. =TCR= Big_Red

My wife use to hit the roof every time the phone bills came in lol.

8. Frigidman

Frigidman Rear Admiral

I used to play hours and hours of 1 vs 1 Marathon over NetLink back in the day against a bud of mine on the base. Was loads of fun, and we spent so much time trying to one up the other, learning new techniques, and tricks... that when we got into lan parties, we were like "are people even playing? wtf cannon fodder!"

Ah, the days to be young and quick.

I can barely stay in the top 5 in mp games anymore :/

9. LiftPizzas

LiftPizzas Rear Admiral

"Don't worry, honey, this 'online' thing is just a passing phase. In a few years people will forget all about trying to exchange ideas and files through a computer network."

Gameconn was up to 4 player. (Massively Multiplayer! LOL) :)

LAN parties were the best, (except the part where you're transporting a 23" CRT and trying to get a borrowed network card working) especially when people used speakers. You could shoot rockets everywhere and figure out where they were when the explosions hit near them, and then surprise them as they turn a corner. (And they never figured it out and kept saying I was camping. LOL)

10. Frigidman

Frigidman Rear Admiral

So true it brings tears to my eyes!

"Stop looking at my monitor!!!" (yet his monitor faces its back to me)

11. Tusc

Tusc Ensign

Speaking of giving credit where credit is due, uploading your blueprint here gives the devs all rights to your design. Which is fine, I get it, and it's cool to get your design in the official game, but could they not at least give a shout out to the original designer? Most people won't know that the Starter Tier 3 Hovercraft was designed by Mr.IceCat and all that other stuff designed by some other great designers. It kinda comes off to me as "not cool" to not at least get a byline on the description.

12. Tyrax Lightning

Tyrax Lightning Rear Admiral

I'd swear that when I read the Patch Notes & they say that they're Introing a 'New Stock BP', there's a Shout Out to its Creater in Parenthesis to the right of that Line... :confused:

DrDaenguin likes this.
  13. piddlefoot

piddlefoot Rear Admiral

Every ship created in game by people that have had there ships used by devs, if you open the games files you can see who created each of them, the info of who built what is in the game its just obfuscated from player in game. It probably takes more code work to get that builders info to show up in game where its convenient and not annoying so it will probably come when they get time, and you never know the builders might get there names in the credits of the game when its completed yet, so I would not loose sleep over this issue.

14. Qwantum

Qwantum Ensign

I never did any LAN parties but I do remember an internet cafe in my youth that housed, on average, 40 screaming asians playing Counter-Strike, each with a smoldering cigarette next to every screen, even the guy behind the counter that sold crazy Korean juice 1/2 cans with whole peeled grapes in them. YUM!!! "I aaaaaaaam the one and only!"

I hope it's never "completed" and they continue to add new content and tweak the game, indefinitely. It should be like a living document of code that's always evolving.

15. Zuleica

Zuleica Rear Admiral

Nice! Mine are grown now and one is a mechanical engineer. I always encouraged her to play with Legos and this is sort of like the modern virtual version of Legos.

16. Robot Shark

Robot Shark Rear Admiral

I was thinking about this, maybe add a line of text that is permanently attached to the blueprint?

I did this in Paint, but I hope it conveys the idea.

Jonathans_Workshop_2016-10-15_07-33-32.jpg

Although this does raise another question, the Arrowhead was a double-modification.
    G1tsum modified Grimmern's blueprint, and I modified G1tsum's.
    I guess the game should list the author as the owner of the blueprint you modified?

Siege Inc. and Tyrax Lightning like this.
  17. Tyrax Lightning

Alternate idea: 2 Lines... the first is the Original Creator's Name, & the 2nd is a Button that opens into a Dropdown List listing all successive Design Tweakers in the order they've tweaked it.

18. Robot Shark

Robot Shark Rear Admiral

That list can get quite long after a while.
    Maybe just the original creator and then who modified it? So the original author always gets credit.

19. Tyrax Lightning

MORE reason why I suggested the Dropdown... the fact that the List of Tweakers could get rather long is EXACTLY why the Dropdown Button would be better cause the Window that Button would be on would never have the space, whereas the Dropdown can have the Space & if needed a Scroll Bar to see the whole List. ;)

20. Ambedrake

Ambedrake Commander

Just a thought, make it so bps are lockable so any ship spawned from a locked bp can only be re bpd by the original author. This could also open the game to say selling one run prints to other players in game furthering the use of the in game market. Heck making 1 run bps as an item could make for interesting loot as well...

Just a thought.

Siege Inc. and Tyrax Lightning like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.