Holding a players attention long-term. Must.. Have... Content..~!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Thoder, Jul 14, 2017.

1. Thoder

Thoder Commander

Hey guys,

Been running a multiplayer server for my gaming group for a few months now. One thing I have noticed that concerns me is I have had a couple of members stop playing Empyrion and go back to other games in our group due to a lack of content. While the game rocks in it's current form I can see how playing the end game part of the game can get somewhat stale for some players.

There are tools already available to help create more content on a server or within an SP game but, at this time are somewhat limited. We can make custom POI's of course, we can make player run content like hover race tracks and such. However, it would be nice to have more content within the game. I sure there must be plans for more content future. More and or different Aliens/Monsters and even items. It would be nice to hear about some of those plans for the future from the devs. Meanwhile, I thought though it might be nice to come up with some ideas the devs could pull from to open the possibilities. Especially ideas that might be quick to implement and require little programming time.

My first thought is to expand on current content. If you look at the weapons, for instance, you could make more variants of them. All you would need to do is change the stats, range, etc. Some of the food, supplies, or even equipment like night vision goggles for instance. Perhaps giving us more containers with different more specific random spawns so we can customize the POI loot more. If I still had things on my server that one the players I am writing this post with him in mind he might still be playing. I would think since you would not need to do any artwork it might be a quick addition to add content in this way.

My second thought, while the programming resource cost would be much higher than expanding on current content things like interactive NPC's, could be huge. It would allow us to help players immerse themselves in a storyline thus holding attention longer. Would greatly enhance the player experience for scenarios and instances as well.

I am sure I will come up with other more detailed ideas but, those are the first to off my head. Can't wait to hear anyone's thoughts on my ideas but, really looking forward to discussing others ideas on this even more!

LETS'S HEAR YOUR THOUGHTS! (sorry for yelling)

2. Kane Hart

Kane Hart Administrator
    Staff Member

• Administrator
    This game has a lot of content and it just seems to be growing. Not only that the way the devs been going they been introducing sort of semi modded content but sort the style you see in Minecraft where people make mini games, etc. I think this is also one the most content filled EA Games that keep releasing new content, features, and updates none stop. I try to think of other EA Games like this and I can't think of one right now. Even the amazing Factorio is actually quite slow overall content wise. Totally diff games of course but yeah I think Empyrion is amazing and the game is still in Alpha hehe :)

That being said I love to see the devs add more content that allows players to contribute the growth of that said content. That way it's a team effort by the community and devs.

3. Thoder

Thoder Commander

Agreed I love the game and it looks to have a bright future. But, the more content the better no? Since your an admin can you offer any insight on upcoming content ideas? Or I would be interested in what you would like to see in content yourself.

Perhaps you might have some ideas on how to use the current features to create better content on a server or a sp player scenario? Let's get a great conversation going!

4. Thoder

Thoder Commander

My gaming group has been playing Star Trek Online as one of our main titles. That game is all about missions and that is likely why I have a couple players that have lost some interest. Predictable basically. Anyway STO has a mission creator called the foundry. You are able to program NPC's to interact with the player in a variety of ways. Something like that in Empyrion I would think could take it to the next level to a certain degree. I have no doubt it would expand the player base Empyrion could market too. That means more profit and a longer game life too.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
  5. Thoder

Thoder Commander

Currently, the main player base segments Empyrion appeals to would have to be builders and Survivalists. Chime in if you think I am wrong or see additional main draws. Coming up with a mission foundry system would open up the MMO market I think. Don't take me wrong but I think we do have some MMO appeal. However, we are nowhere near what a commercial MMO offers yet. Allowing the player base to create missions, instances, scenarios, etc. easier would create a greater partnership with the current player base in addition to opening the MMO market more so. It just makes sense.

The wider player base we appeal to generally the more profitable the game is and this extends the life of the title. Somes games can be good enough to create a cult following and last decades. I see that potential in this game if done right. That said you should never expand the features you offer to where you don't have the resources to do it right. There must be a balance of course. In this case, however, getting the community to become an integral part of content creation could be key.

6. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Captain

Starwing6 and Thoder like this.
  7. Thoder

Thoder Commander

Yes, I noticed that and have thought about adding it to our server. One thing though is I played a game called Ultima Online for about 20 years. We had a bounty system there as well. It was a lot of fun, however, eventually it because of an exploit. Griefers would earn huge bounties and then have their friends take the bounty. While the bounties were auto set there I can see where a player gets hit hard or griefed even. He puts a bounty and then the subject of the bounty has a friend collect the bounty and gets over on the victim of griefing twice that way. So the key would be in how you would implement it.

Have you heard anything on how well it works? I supposed I should at least take a look at installing it since I am talking all this content stuff. Anyone hear how the Lotto mod works?

8. Thoder

Thoder Commander

I am looking into it now actually. Trying to build a Scenario for our server as we speak. Like to get it running within a month. We will see.

9. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Captain

There are some already made; maybe you could look in their files to have some working examples?

10. Thoder

Thoder Commander

Yes, I need to do some playing of those examples. I have perused the files a little but for all of them already. Now I need to get in them and see how they work through the eyes of a player.

Kassonnade likes this.
  11. Siege Inc.

Siege Inc. Captain

Content creation takes time. Players will always consume it faster than it can be created.

They've only just released the scenario tools recently. They'll expand on that but it's not going to happen overnight. Yes the game is content light for the moment. To be expected at this stage of it's development.

Starwing6 and binhthuy71 like this.
  12. 68plex

68plex Captain

If this were my puppy, I'd go for player built factories which could lead to economic trade/partnership/war with the AI. I'd make setting them up something in the vein of factorio, which I think would offer the player hours of tinkering/logic/creative fun. I think this kind of thing also falls right in line with what EGS is all about. It seems to be the next step for the player who has achieved empire: base(s), cv, multible hv & sv, and food and ore coming out their ears, all making further POI raids rather pointless beyond defanging their turrets... except maybe for the drone base.

Ravis and Thoder like this.
  13. Thoder

Thoder Commander

I think we all understand that. No way to snap your fingers and have everything you want. The purpose of this thread was not to chastise the Devs for not having more content. Rather it was to help them by having an open discussion about what we would like to see in the future. Additionally, offer some ideas that might spark thoughts in the minds of the Devs in better or quicker ways to add content in the future. Also, encourage others to give input on how to use the current tools to better create content.

Kane couldn't have said it better in his response.

@Siege Inc. I would love to hear your ideas on what content you're hoping to see. Also any input on how to use what we already have to help create content in the game.

14. Thoder

Thoder Commander

That's a great idea! In Star Trek online they have something similar although they could expand on it more. Perhaps missions or tasks by one AI faction against another. Anything we can do to add interactivity would be great.

That brings me to another idea I was thinking of but, had forgotten when I started this thread and has to do with trade. Develop a system where you can transport cargo from one trade station to another. You would make your investment in goods at one trade station and then use a cargo vessel to haul it to another. You would make a profit based on the distance you hauled and could also be based on risk. How many PVP sectors you travel through perhaps. We have played around with doing this manually on our server. Grow massive food and deliver it to another sector and have an admin buy it giving the player a profit. The only issue is the amount of time the Admin would spend managing it. If it were automated what an amazing thing that could be. Might be something the Devs could do at the same time they add a conveyor system.

Just food for thought!

tehmashby, Agent0024 and 68plex like this.
  15. Siege Inc.

Siege Inc. Captain

I haven't really given much thought to what I'd like to see because I assume the developers have a plan and part of that plan involves the scenario builder which I trust they'll improve. I don't know the first thing about editing the .yaml files or what's involved in making scenarios but others seem quite capable at it. My thing is making assets for people to use.

It'd be nice if we could publish something with alien blocks to the workshop. I've built a couple POIs but we're kind of hamstrung by the fact we can't use the best tool we have for sharing them with people who might be interested. Maybe they could add a POI thread to the Building and Blueprints forum at least.

rucky, Starwing6 and binhthuy71 like this.
  16. Thoder

Thoder Commander

Not just building assets but, also in game items. Weapons, equipment. Like I mentioned earlier STO reuses graphic assets and repurposes them into a different item. Empyrion does that already with the t2 weapons and epic weapons for example. I think they could expand on that a little more without making it cheese and we might get extra content without the Devs having to devote major resources.

That said, too much repurposing can hurt a game too. Just think we have room for it still.

17. binhthuy71

binhthuy71 Captain

The scenario builder is an encouraging step from Eleon. A robust game editor, capable of adding scripted events or of importing 3D models is a coding project in itself. Creating such an editor also involves getting through a thicket of legal issues involving the use of intellectual property from the game engine and from vendors like SpeedTree. I wouldn't look for something like that until several months after the release version of EGS.

Thoder and Siege Inc. like this.
  18. Requiemfang

Requiemfang Commander

lol... STO haven't been on in months... I know I have a heck of a lot of points built up... lifetime membership.

19. Thoder

Thoder Commander

You and me both. I bet I have 2000 Zen just sitting there. lol

20. Thoder

Thoder Commander

I think that some assets could be provided by the community as far as intellectual property. That said I think the Devs see the need for this already as the scenario builder is a very encouraging step. No one should be under any illusion that creating a full host of tools allowing the community to easily create content can't happen over night. However, I think there are a few things that the devs could do in the short term without much devotion to resources. The repurposing for existing assets. Add multi-types of weapon types using the same graphic with a different color like we have with T2 and Epic. That is just one example but, there are many really.

I should qualify though I do not have access to the source code and I do not know all the resources it would take to do this. So what I am talking about is speculative only. Would be awesome to have a town hall with the Devs that has content as its focal point.