looking for a character editor for empyrion

Discussion in 'The Hangar Bay' started by Head Hunter 1969, Nov 20, 2015.

1. Head Hunter 1969

Head Hunter 1969 Ensign

I suffered a setback during one of the patches following 3.6.1 and my problem is that my tech tree went from all unlocked level 20 to everything unlocked but the hydrogen fuel cell. Now the dev's capped the experience point at a max so I can't earn an additional 10 experience points to unlock the hydrogen fuel cell in the tech tree.

I stuck it out as a bug but the push for dedicated servers seems to be the main focus nowadays. So I thought there might be someone with the programming knowhow to unlock just that tech tree item. I can start over and I have but when I started Empyrion it was as a survival game but now its turned mostly a shooter game which I really, really suck at. I go to the moon and get my butt kicked, I go to the asteroid field and get my butt kicked, I tangle with the drone base and get my butt kicked. At my age, its unrealistic to think I'm ever going to develop any eye - hand coordination. I'm the guy that can drop of wad of paper above the trash can and still miss.

So please, if anyone has a fix, I've put over 700 hours into this game (I'm retired). Thanks

2. Muffinman

Muffinman Commander

I've moved from game to game without problems nor had to go through that insufferable XP system each time. The important thing to do is combine file replacement and a little hex editing.

There is already a thread on how to bypass the XP and unlock the full tech tree with a simple edit. So simply follow the instructions there for the new character.

Afterwards, you need to put down a BA base block, then copy over the files from the old BA from the previous game to the new one. Repeate the same for your vehicles. It will take some time to move everything but definitely less time than staring over from 700 hours of play.

3. Head Hunter 1969

Head Hunter 1969 Ensign

Thanks for the quick response. I did the hex editing to get the tech tree unlocked in the first place. After another patch it dropped the hydrogen fuel cell from the constructors showing that the only thing not unlocked in the tech tree was the hydrogen fuel cell. I've looked at the threads on moving things from game to game but I haven't tried it yet. My base extends deep underground on the theory that eventually the Capital ships will be able to commence orbital bombardment , well it was really an over reaction to the initial drone attacks on bases..

I just don't see any of the modding for Empyrion that I was used to in the fallout series. But another game, Wasteland 2 was developed like Empyrion and there was zilch in modding and support. At least these guys want your feedback.

I'm sure that one of the dev's knows what hex bit to change to unlock the hydrogen fuel cell, its just getting the much detailed info out for just one player who's lazy in his old age. Thanks again... I just reread and caught the "New Character" Gotcha ya!!!! Thanks, going to make some backs now.

4. Muffinman

Muffinman Commander

What you could do, if you don't want to hex edit and move too many files, is to start a new game on the same seed, then use something like CheatEngine and search for the memory address of experience. Once found, modify the value progressively until you max out on the XP and level. You should be left with a thousand or so unlock points. Unlock everything then make a backup of the old character from your old savegame and replace it with the newer one. When you load up the old savegame, your new character should be appear near the old world. It's now a matter of getting it to your home base before you run out of supplies.

5. Head Hunter 1969

Head Hunter 1969 Ensign

Thanks for the reply and the suggestion. Redoing the hex editor fix solved my problem. I had looked at it at first but the byte was first changed for 06 to 03 and when I checked the byte was set 07. It just didn't look familiar so I left it alone but when Muffinman suggested it I went back with the hex editor and changed the 07 back to 03 and it fixed the problem.

6. Nick

Nick Commander

You seem to be sorted now. I recently found the 07 -> 03 trick and will be doing the same thing. But just FYI...

There probably isn't a single hex byte for the hydrogen fuel cell. It's likely there's only 1 or 2 hex bytes for the entire tech tree and their values account for every possible variation of techs a player could have unlocked.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2015
  7. Head Hunter 1969

Head Hunter 1969 Ensign

Programming wasn't ever my forte although I did struggle through colbal, fortran, pascal, and basic. Way back then, programmers weren't allowed near a computer, they did everything with ink and paper, Key punch operator was a hell of a good job and I programmed computers by toggling micro switches and yes I did own a Trash 80 but the statute of limitations has expired. ;)

8. Dexter

Dexter Lieutenant

I read on a piddlefoot post you can swap your ply. file in single player games from game to game and not loose your level, and you can do it on server if the admin will do it for you or if you are the admun.

I think you hav to open the file with notebook to see what name is attached to each ply file