Missions

Discussion in 'FAQ & Feedback' started by Hummel-o-War, Aug 11, 2016.

1. Hummel-o-War

Hummel-o-War Administrator Staff Member Community Manager

• Developer
    What do you think about the current state of the MISSION mechanic?

2. dante1123

dante1123 Ensign

I think that the idea of player made faction missions sounds awesome! It will really make the player interactions more immersive and add a lot of coop enjoyment to the game.Cant wait to try it out keep up the good work!

3. Tinfoil Chef

Tinfoil Chef Lieutenant

several of the missions mention gold coins but nowhere is there an explanation of what they're for. yeah, i know, the marketplace but they're not mentioned at all in the PDA nor is the marketplace. (not that I suppose it matters on single player but still . . .

4. Dorian

Dorian Ensign

Tried to do huntsman mission, didn´t work. Killed some of the beasts, but none of them counted.

Philipp likes this.
  5. g0tg0t6

g0tg0t6 Ensign

i will try

6. =TCR= Big_Red

=TCR= Big_Red Rear Admiral

Always liked the free style type of play with my own personal agenda. Which was proven when the XP system was introduced to the game. We were hand tied and couldn't play free style. My self personally, not interested. Thanks though, maybe someone else may like it.

7. Frigidman

Frigidman Rear Admiral

For this kind of game, I'm a little torn on the need for missions.

For these types of games, I tend to enjoy the 'goals' and 'achievements' more... that simply tabulate things you do and you reach certain tiers for doing specific things a lot or correctly. But they have to be reasonable ;) no "click on a plant five billion times!" absurdity.

But for missions? ....... jury is still out.

Chucksta and futontorpedo like this.
  8. =TCR= Big_Red

After my last reply I made breakfest and got to thinking about this mission stuff. We see what Eleon is trying to do. Looking for things for players to do in game. I get this. BUT....I think alot of players including my self were drawn to the Back Story. Shouldn't the Back Story be the starter block for any sorta in game missions?

Frigidman likes this.
  9. Frigidman

Frigidman Rear Admiral

For a "Campaign" yes definitely. They are direction, and something to aspire to reach as in milestones to a final goal.
    For random missions in a sandbox mode... not so much. They are more supplementary things to do as you pave your own path.

=TCR= Big_Red likes this.
  10. =TCR= Big_Red

Agreed, the missions are side attractions and the Back Story would be the Campaign.

11. Dionysos

Dionysos Commander

As the others already said those missions - especially with kill 1 animal at night... not good. Boring and not challenging and we've seen it all before.

The Campaign idea is way better - especially when you design it as a tool for game masters. So eg admins/modders can create events like they happen in a rpg board game. So a storyteller can set up a campaign - or if possible change some events to the needs of the current realtime events on the server. Which would be even better if you could connect these event with action. For instance someone orders ore via marketplace and instead of beaming it like it is now - a freigther jumps into the system to deliver it... but gets attacked... meanwhile in a secret biolab the sinister ambushers... etc

Prolly roleplayer/factions might be interested in logging such campaigns for writing a history or the like - give it a social meaning. (Just an idea what sideeffects/synergies are possible through such an event system)

Long story short message: dont try to do sophisticated stories. Just build the tool and let the community be creative in content creation. You might do a short content creation event/jam to see what is possible. The simpler the better the less kill 3 deers and collect 200 ores the better too.^^ If the systen can only deliver this kind of missions - well dont waste time and money on it.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2016
    TK85 likes this.
  12. Cavadus

Cavadus Commander

Much like the marketplace and gold I just don't see the point for this.

13. Gary Parkin

Gary Parkin Captain

Wow, I'll have to play again. I stopped and got sucked into FO4.
    I had fun building and searching and scraping. What if we could make missions and share them. :p
    I'm off to the wiki to see what will eat me and what is safe to pet when I play again this week.

14. Kalonji

Kalonji Lieutenant

I realize that I don't like Most of the last patches and additions. Like mini bike, marketplace, cv item limitations and so on.

So I will it give it break for quite a good of months and come back to See a more completed game .

I simply don't like the direction the game takes or lack of development road map . All seems fairly chaotic and unprofessional.

15. Tinfoil Chef

Tinfoil Chef Lieutenant

Honestly I'm sure that there is a development roadmap. Devs have not chosen to publish it's current state

16. Hummel-o-War

Hummel-o-War Administrator Staff Member Community Manager

• Developer
    That's the plan. The current Mission system is just this..am mission expansion of the PDA. They'll get more dynamic (and not neccessarily stay fixed to a pre-populated PDA in the future ;-) But as always... FIRST implement the tech, then flesh out the details :)

17. futontorpedo

futontorpedo Commander

Really hope these get switched to a more passive achievement style list. Requiring me to activate specific kill or loot quests before I can get credit for them is a real pain.

TimOFlea likes this.
  18. medicineman

medicineman Captain

I'm good with the missions. But I don't like how they are implemented. For instance it seems odd that I have to engage the mission and have it active when I kill a drone to get credit for a Drone Hunter kill. Having to activate the missions is lame. They should just auto-fill in as I do about my business. Also the rewards shouldn't just materialize in my inventory. I should have to go somewhere and do something for the reward. Maybe build a drone bay so drones can fly in from the mission givers with rewards heh.

19. Blkdragon13

Blkdragon13 Lieutenant

Just been playing through, and the missions system needs work. I like the idea of missions(or achievements), but the current implementation is very basic. I have 3 missions I can not complete because the POI's I need to find did not spawn in my game. If you offer missions, you need to ensure that the RNG doesn't automatically cause you to fail. Another thing, especially on Multiplayer servers, destroy x base, might not work as someone else may have already done so earlier, thus you are unable to do the mission. Also better description as to what the success conditions for the mission are.

I do love the idea of admin created missions. This would make multiplayer servers that much better, especially being able to customize the play to the players.

20. medicineman

medicineman Captain

You are right that some missions don't work in MP but I'm pretty sure all the same POI's spawn each iteration of the game. What happened to me was I destroyed one of the POI's I needed in single player to complete a mission and never could. When I destroyed the POI it should have pipped the mission for me instead of just sitting there like a lump.