New Indestructible Drone Base for MP

Discussion in 'The Hangar Bay' started by joemorin73, Jan 12, 2017.

1. joemorin73

joemorin73 Captain

I thought I would share a new drone base that we developed for our server. With infinite drone waves now possible, we wanted a way for the planets to always have drone waves.

So we built this: An Admin Alien Core Drone Base.

The structure is indestructible, allowing for the drone base to remain at all times. But to make things interesting, we added spawners and containers in the base to make it of interest to users to raid repeatedly. We obviously did not add turrets because........well, that would be cruel. (I didn't say won't ever. ;) )

You may use the base as you wish, but I am hoping it inspires more designs and discussions. Hopefully, this could lead to some new types of POIs for MP.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Download https://1drv.ms/u/s!AqvXBFJCQ8T0jPl2ZVQ_yYAcujCQ9A

XeroTerragoth likes this.
  2. joemorin73

joemorin73 Captain

So the POI is not currently working right. I will be updating this soon.

3. Xango2000

Xango2000 Captain

I like this idea. I haven't yet put the alien admin core to use but this gives me ideas.

Tinkercity server is planning a reoccurring event that could definitely use this base or one just like it but with turrets.

4. joemorin73

joemorin73 Captain

Admin cores currently work well for POIs. There are still a few things I am figuring out on custom drone bases though. There appears to be an issue with the waves.

If you are going to put turrets on an indestructible base, I pity the users going against it. ;)

Ballard and XeroTerragoth like this.
  5. Scott.Ward

Scott.Ward Commander

It might not be a core issue, I have many normal Drone Base POI's that don't want to send waves.

I have been running a version of this since you released it (I showed the core behind glass so they could understand quicker they can't destroy it) and no waves with it to date.
    - but I haven't really tried to trigger, building bases etc. (haven't had time to test it)
    - I do believe it may be more of a trigger problem why the drones are not coming.
    - drones to date are hit and miss if they will work properly on a planet. (normal or modified drone base)

6. joemorin73

joemorin73 Captain

Well, the original posted was missing Marker and Marker2 blocks. Marker = Drone Spawner for base attacks, Marker2 is the place holder for the Troop Transporter. I've added them to the my latest version, but still am not successful.

This is the latest version: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AqvXBFJCQ8T0jPwxSAo9lfzwjoUPkA

XeroTerragoth likes this.
  7. Scott.Ward

Scott.Ward Commander

See what you mean by markers, I took a look at all the drone bases and you can see the progression with markers, some don't even have them.

I have done a few tests and none of them produced drone ways ... but ... (these tests were done in SP, might not be the best testing ground)
    - I think there is a difference with SP and MP (server) the way it handles triggers.
    - (removing your Admin Drone Base from the equation) I noticed when I edited up the DroneBaseAkua and added a Alien Admin Core it didn't send Drone waves (might not have satisfied all triggers).
    - I reset back to defaults (default drone base) and no drone waves upon building a base ... but ... once again triggers might not have been satisfied.

I noticed something funny with the DroneBaseAkua when it was edited up and used it as the Dronebase.
    - It did not get placed in the ground, it was sitting on top flush with the ground (3 drones protecting it, and a dropship was there). I am thinking some routines are not being applied with the custom drone bases. (This might be a waste of time atm)

8. joemorin73

joemorin73 Captain

There is a lot in here.

This is the "magic" question. It seems even building a base with the markers and alien core is not sufficient. There is something else that is missing. I have sent my work to Eleon to investigate and hopefully will hear back from them soon. They appear genuinely curious too as they just released the marker blocks in 5.2 experimental.

That is another issue that is in the custom POI guide. They noted that all POIs would be generated above ground level and inground options would come later.

One problem at a time. ;)

9. Taelyn

Taelyn Guest

The ADMIN blocks dont work with a drone base atm.
    I was trying to make the same. Did report it to the dev's. Hummel o war put it down on the suggestion list.

10. joemorin73

joemorin73 Captain

I've contacted @Hummel-o-War about the issue too. It's to be investigated at a further date.

11. stimdealer0001

stimdealer0001 Captain

Hey joemorin...

I should probably point out that I'm having the same issue with 'admin alien cores' in drone bases not spawning drone waves. It might just simply be the fact that the code doesn't allow anything other than a normal alien core in a drone base for waves to spawn.

12. joemorin73

joemorin73 Captain

I suppose. I also tried changing the core back to non admin and it doesn't work. It makes me wonder if a drone base also requires a turret.

13. Taelyn

Taelyn Guest

i have a custom drone base with normal alien block and no turrets and it does work

14. joemorin73

joemorin73 Captain

That rules that out. I guess we wait on Eleon.

15. Frigidman

Frigidman Rear Admiral

Unclear why the Drone Spawn marker block (and troop transport) doesn't work with alien adm cores, but it should be, and I suspect that to be fixed. Just gotta wait for the fix.

They do work exactly as expected with standard alien cores.
    They dont work with any player core (adm or not), as expected ;) That would be... suicide? LOL!

16. joemorin73

joemorin73 Captain

Agreed. I'm curious if the game has a criteria list when launching a drone wave. (IE, are there marker blocks and an active alien core in the base?)

If the check is different, they may have forgotten to include Alien Admin Cores as a valid core.

17. Frigidman

Frigidman Rear Admiral

Oh, when you place this, its the ONLY drone base on the planet, right? If you have another normal drone base (that has a spawner), it may be spawning from that base only, and it ever only spawns from one spawner (which is why you can only put one spawner on a POI build0.

18. joemorin73

joemorin73 Captain

I thought at first that the game was searching through all the playfields to find a valid one, but that can not be correct. We specify the drone base in the playfield.yaml. It can only spawn from there. This comes down to only one possibility, the alien admin core does not make a drone base a "valid" base.

19. Frigidman

Frigidman Rear Admiral

Ok, so you just have the one define, not loading multiple into a single playfield. Thats good.

Yup, gotta be the 'adm' flag isn't triggering something.

stimdealer0001 likes this.
  20. joemorin73

joemorin73 Captain

Indeed.

I have had playfields with multiple drone bases. In the end, only one of the bases is the drone base. The rest act like normal POIs.