NPCs (creatures and drones)

Discussion in 'FAQ & Feedback' started by EleonGameStudios, Jun 26, 2015.

1. Ambaire

Ambaire Captain

One big problem that I've noticed is the passive alien patrols are counted in the max number of mobs in an area and once two or three 4-man patrols spawn, no hostiles can spawn until I take them out.

I suggest that the max number of mobs in an area be subdivided into groups:
    1. Hostiles (attack you on sight)
    2. Passive wildlife (do not attack you on sight)
    3. Huntsmen

Tyrax Lightning likes this.
  2. Vastin

Vastin Ensign

Bounced around Oscutune for an hour or two and found absolutely no native wildlife, and almost no plants that could be harvested, just a few alien POIs and mining nodes. Made for a rather uninteresting exploring experience compared to the starting worlds.

3. Vastin

Vastin Ensign

Oh, is that why I stop seeing any hostile within a wide radius of my starting area after a couple days? I was wondering about that. Virtually no spiders or raptors in a looong time. I'd definitely like to see that fixed. I rely on hostile wildlife to keep my on my toes while I'm picking flowers and mining. Gets a lot more boring without the occasional surprise.

Chucksta and Tyrax Lightning like this.
  4. RasterOps

RasterOps Lieutenant

The mini-gun is a fine early game weapon. However, their placement (on SV) is critical, as they don't hit the point of aim) (POA).

I prefer destroying a base core then scrapping any left-over turrets.

Explosives in the form of rockets or satchel charges are fun.

Outposts NOT Colonies
    I've read several posts that seem to imply the worlds we are on are fully inhabited by the enemy aliens. That is not at all the impression I have. These are barely occupied outposts. There are no alien civilians or cities. So when I raid an outpost, I wonder; "where are the aliens teleporting from"? Especially if this is the last outpost on the planet. Where are reinforcements teleporting from?
    • Did a passing warship drop off more troops?
    • Are there subterranean dwellings that we can never reach?
    • Are they teleporting from the planetary poles where we also cannot reach?
    • Are they teleporting insane distances from planet to planet?
    Aliens are now Deadly
    So there have been numerous changes to the game in the past few months. I had been playing Survival on Hard difficulty. Because the aliens were so easy to kill... Now the aliens:
    • Never miss so you can't dodge their attacks (run and jump all you want, you will die)
    • They know precisely where you are before you do (even if you know they are out there somewhere)
    • They deal significantly more damage
    • They can see in the dark
    I have seen identical AI in so many games. So it annoys me. It is effectively a cheat. But it can be rationalized by thinking:
    • They aren't rebuilding from scratch
    • They have a HUD (tech) that identifies enemy positions
    • They have natural night-vision or similar tech
    • Their weapons have built-in auto-targeting

Inside buildings, they are manageable. Outside, especially when there's more than one (drop-ships), they are deadly. Depending on the game the player can adapt and survive. The only adaptation I can think of is to respawn at your base and build/use a second HV/SV to return to scene and clear the area. Then hope you are in time to recover your backpack.

Zedd, Chucksta and Tyrax Lightning like this.
  5. Tyrax Lightning

Tyrax Lightning Rear Admiral

In that Prior Post from long ago, when I said "Minigun", I was talking about the Player Hand Held Version... as opposed to everyone else for some reason God Worshiping the T2 Pistol.

Also, the Rocket Launcher, I was also talking about the Player Hand Held Version, as during that Post, it was the Era of Pre-Plasma Cannon Implementation, let alone Rocket Launchers being changed to act more like Stynger Missiles of RL. Nowadays I now use the Plasma Cannon in this capacity & will carry the Rocket Launcher for stuff like Anti-SV Combat.

6. Guest

Guest Lieutenant

I've noticed that you actually can avoid some of them and their projectiles if you will change direction immediately upon being fired at - they will inhumanly well predict where you will be once their plasma blast or whatever will reach your area, but they cannot change the flight path of the projectile when it's in the air. Won't help with instant hitscan kinds of attack, but it's always something against rockets and aforementined plasma blasts.

I am more concerned by the spawning and how sometimes I had some nasty beast pop up in my line of sight, out of nowhere, sometimes in the area it shouldn't be really able to get to - and then just started going at me like if nothing happened. The fact that average-sized hostile animal can tank mags of bullets better than lightly armored vehicle is also worth consideration.

Clapman7 and Tyrax Lightning like this.
  7. SoB

SoB Ensign

What do you think about the current NPC (creatures and drones)?
    - Should there be more / less?
    More and more types. Though of course they should take location in to account so a lava world or barren one would have far less life than say a temperate world.
    - More / less powerful?
    both? A lot could be done with just improving the AI. I should not be able to snipe the turrets of a fort drive my cv up to the base and have my big gun shoot my way through to the core and have only one drone come by ever so often and zero defenders in side doing any thing about it.

Even so there are some mid and late game threats that would be nice to add. Alien ground armies attacking your base with drones. At a certain point drone attacks can be ignored but what if the aliens really want you dead and send in a full assault. These can be in response to you wiping out one of there bases and strength of the attack would be based on difficulty and Base size. Would mean seeing Alien HV and SVs to.

Same for space the freighters are a nice touch but I would love to see other ships like SV based fighters and bombers, CVs of all types for you to play against

- NPCs on each planet?
    Yes, those civilian POIs need people they look like they being lived in and should be lived in.

- General importance of NPCs?
    Mid to High the Game should not be come a story based game but having stories in it is great. NPCs can add to this. They could be traders, quest givers or even be hired as crew or to do other jobs for you. Hostile NPCs should all so be expanded with more faction and different factions having different motives

- Other feedback? Expanding the faction system would be great what if some faction don't like each other and a waging a war on a lava world for the control of some rare minerals. Making it procedurally generated is even better

8. Clapman7

Clapman7 Ensign

I don't know if this is the right place for feedback on enemy turrets, but...

So like the enemy turrets are astonishingly hard to kill. Like empty-ten-rockets-into-a-turret-and-it's-still-standing-without-breaking-a-sweat hard to kill. Heavy handheld weapons, heavy SV weapons (I'll admit I haven't tried it with HV heavy weapons yet). I believe that the turrets shouldn't obviously be a one shot kill with a rocket, like it used to be, but I don't think I should have to empty my store of ammunition for heavy weapons just to take out one turret.

9. Tyrax Lightning

If ya think that's durable, ya should try killing Player Turrets in PvP. Alien Turrets are like Training by comparison. :p

10. Clapman7

Clapman7 Ensign

Probably takes about a year, doesn't it? xD

11. Tyrax Lightning

For now... but if the Turrets died easily they'd be rather useless, so meh imho. :)

Clapman7 likes this.
  12. Clapman7

Clapman7 Ensign

Oh well that's what I mean, lol. I guess they have to find a right balance between turrets not being squishy and actually being manageable to kill. You put down enough turrets and I guess it wouldn't really matter what health the turrets have.

13. Tyrax Lightning

Yeah, it'd be cheaty if Turrets were invincible for no reason at all, but at the same time they'd be useless if they were easy to kill. A Ship with no more surviving Weapons is a Ship that can no longer attack, thus can no longer win, thus is forced to flee & settle for a draw or get blown up & outright lose.

Clapman7 likes this.
  14. piddlefoot

piddlefoot Rear Admiral

Bring on that damned huge deugon thing out of FarScape that comes up out of asteroid fields and eats whole CVs in a single snack !

BUUUUURRRP !

Clapman7 and Tyrax Lightning like this.
  15. RasterOps

RasterOps Lieutenant

Yes, I can also dodge turret attacks mainly because of my distance. But I'm referring to the projectile weapons carried by the alien soldiers. The soldiers are closer, within range and you don't know where they are since you just spawned in.

Civilian POI's don't have any housing let alone public toilets. So they seem like they were built in anticipation of their use rather than being occupied.

16. Tyrax Lightning

Frankly I think the Civvie Settlements were built by Fast Cash Grab grubby Business People with no brains & their inevitable defeat & abandonment/people loss was an act of inevitable Natural Selection. :p

I'm gonna stick with my "Militaristic Dwarf Warrior" Building Style. :D

17. VISION305

VISION305 Rear Admiral

I think the NPC is decent but needs much needed better AI.

I also think that there should not be the same alien guys on every planet. Some planets might be lonely or untouched. Maybe just the random sight of a crashed ship. But to have the same drones in every planet would be a little silly.

For animals and creatures the more variety the better obviously but they also need some love. I want to see idle animations, creatures lying down, larger predators attacking and feeding on smaller prey etc.. Large creatures that are territorial setting up near deposits and capable of attacking vessels and damaging blocks.

I know this would be hard but smarter AI, capable of dog fighting, boarding your capital ship, entering your base and taking over with a purpose. Much needed smarter path finding and even underground path finding (I know its hard). These types of things will make empyrion stand out from good to legendary status.

18. Zedd

Zedd Captain

We need infra-red goggles or some other form of inbuilt suit targeting reticle. It should paint hostiles (i.e known aggressive fauna or anything carrying a weapon) when they come within a certain distance.

Aiming and hitting the target would still be your job. But there is no way I can see a guy dressed in black against a dark background, in dim light @ 100m+, letalone hit him or his two mates who are filling me full of holes.

The sniper rifle scope is ok, but by the time I switch weapons and locate their position, I would be dead 6 seconds ago if they were shooting at me.

I like that enemy troops are tough/have OP weapons with ammo that never misses. Maybe we could even get that for the pulse rifle later on! Level 30 tech unlock anyone? :D

19. Diamaht

Diamaht Lieutenant

I think some of the overpower that groups of aliens have currently could be solved by armor slots once those come into play. I don't have an issue with them being deadly, I would just want a counter-measure that I can go out and build.

20. Deathimonkey

Deathimonkey Ensign

Having a major problem with enemies shooting through walls and structures that they are in and it is getting really frustrating that they can shoot at you through walls and such and you cant fire back