OBS and Alpha 4.0

Discussion in 'Media - Screenshots, Videos, Streams!' started by Hummel-o-War, Nov 10, 2016.

1. Hummel-o-War

Hummel-o-War Administrator Staff Member Community Manager

• Developer
    Hi Everyone!

Just a quick note with using OBS since Alpha 4.0 Update:

Due to some Rendering Changes, you will now need to use “Window Capture” mode instead of “Game Capture” when Recording/Streaming Empyrion. This is a common problem with Linear Space and PBR Rendering at the moment with OBS, due to a difference in how the Graphics Card processes the input/output of the Rendering Pipeline.

While I cannot comment on if/when OBS will update to fix this problem, “Window Capture” is the recommended mode to use for now when using OBS.

Thanks!

Frigidman likes this.
  2. bk1guy

bk1guy Commander

If you are running dual monitors, you can also do a "Display Capture" while running Empyrion in fullscreen mode on your main display. I've been doing that successfully without any problems. Probably works for single monitors too, but I haven't tried it.

3. Frigidman

Frigidman Rear Admiral

Display Capture (for my tests), put more strain on the recording vs dedicated window capture mode. Although when I frame rate cap Empyrion, its not so much an issue. So yeah. Kind of a mess without two monitors though ;)

Window Capture just takes a little extra alt-tabbing and setup, but then its golden. I had to switch recently because I was getting the 'black screen of doom' all of a sudden (alpha 4.0).

4. Mikemc

Mikemc Commander

None of the game/window/anything captures work for me. Always been using Display Capture. Actually works really well because I can overlay 'Always On Top' programs like an image that I need to see in game too :)

5. StoneLegion

StoneLegion Captain

Game Capture works for me actually. But I'm using OBS Studio the former is a bit out of date and not recommended anymore.

6. Frigidman

Frigidman Rear Admiral

Interesting.

I'm on the latest OBS Studio too (old one is so crap now)... but nothing I wrestle with makes the "Game Capture" anything but black. Sometimes these vid recording things drive me batty!

One day, out of the blue, OBS decided "nope, not gonna record graphics, just the ui in the games"! I had to rebuild the whole scene to get it back. And the funny thing of it all, it was working fine the night before streaming Alien Isolation. Then the next day, zero patches, updates, no config changes... and it pulled that crazy behavior.

Neonin likes this.
  7. Pantera

Pantera Administrator Staff Member

• Developer
    As of 4.4 0721 on obs version 0.16.2 game capture appears to work again.
    For some reason I can't update obs to 0.16.5 I get some error about not being able to write a file.
    Just though I'd mention it anyway.

Frigidman likes this.
  8. Frigidman

Frigidman Rear Admiral

Yeah I can confirm as well. 4.4 and 0.16.5 are working just fine now with Game Capture.

Doesn't mean the problem wont re-surface... so this thread is still ok to keep around.