Planets and the solar system.

Discussion in 'FAQ & Feedback' started by JayCo, Jul 14, 2015.

1. Neal

Neal Rear Admiral

While i agree to everything you wrote, i don't think that actual orbital mechanics are really important. Just place the planets on their orbital position and leave it that way. We will be visiting countless stellar systems (hopefully :)), so i don't think it will matter much if the planets will move half a year later to their correct position IMHO.

Tyrax Lightning likes this.
  2. Tyrax Lightning

Tyrax Lightning Rear Admiral

I dunno... it could be funny to hear stories of peeps building Space Stations without watching/plotting the Orbits first & having their half done Space Station get Wrecking Balled by the Planet swinging around in its Orbit right into that Space Station! :p

Marty, Frankyln and Neal like this.
  3. Frankyln

Frankyln Rear Admiral

That is assuming space station don't have there own orbit.
    Lets play orbit wars, I'll build a space station to crash into yours.

Marty and Tyrax Lightning like this.
  4. Rappeldrache

Rappeldrache Lieutenant

Hello,

sorry for my english first. :(

I really like the game. Great work! Thanks a lot. :D

My notice:
    I'm new and I started yesterday. I played a bit on a public server and than: My guild-buddy rent a server and I wanted to join him on "our" server. I crashed on the planet (Aqua) and ..... was killed with a few shots from a drone. Second try: 6 shots. Third try: ONE shot and the drone killed me (or whatever, I dit not even saw what shot me in the back). :(
    Now I'm siiting here and I'm frightend to start playing. I still have some trouble to walk, to react, to interact and I wanted to learn moving and so on, FIRST. But I can't do this when I'm shooting all the time. And it's no fun that I even can't play alone now and I have to wait for my buddy.

1.) Possibility: I woudl like the idea that: If you rent a server and you have a new univers with a lot of planets, you can choose to place easily a "Newbie / Beginner" planet, if you wish. If you don't wish, don't place it. Server could write: "For beginners, with Newbie planet!" :D
    There you can start as a newbie. There you have only "soft enemys" and a bit more food and so on. :) And people on the seerver who want to help, know where to go to.

(2.) Possibility: I still don't really know the game, but I also would like the possibiity to learn playing (walking, interacting) without this "food-drama". Second possibility could be a "Newbie status". In this status the enemys don't attack you, but you also can't attack them. You are not sooo hungry anymore but you don't get experience points. If you know how to move and to interact you can always leave the "Newbie status".)

General: I think the "First impression" is very important. :)

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
  5. Tyrax Lightning

Tyrax Lightning Rear Admiral

Starting the game already MPing is a VERY rough start. The normal way to begin learning the game would be a SP Game starting on Akua with very soft Difficulty Settings.

With that said, 2 Pro Tips for dealing with Drones: 1: Head Shots are a thing in this game, & the 'Head Shot Point' on a Drone is their little Red Eye. 2: They can't fire on you if you're too under or over them, so one viable Tactic is to hide behind something like a Large Rock Deco keeping that Deco between you & the Drone till it gets real close, like 60ish Meters, then dashing out & Sprinting & Zig Zaging as fast as ya can to under the Drone then attack him from below while keeping under him. Hope this helps. :) (Honestly a Drone is a hellacious Training Foe for ya... the usual starter Combat Training for a Newbie would typically be more along the lines of lone Prey Animals, like those Grasshopper looking dudes, Slimes, & such... then eventually moving on to your first Predator, the Plant Monsters. You've been given a hell of a Crash Course, this is no fault of yours. :))

6. leo1954au

leo1954au Commander

A few more planets to visit in SP mode would be good, There are players like myself that have been playing computer game since the early 60's that just don't like to play multiplayer.

stimdealer0001 and Marty like this.
  7. Marty

Marty Commander

Early 80's here. Liked mp for a while, until I realized, that the same morons form real life are there too...

ion_storm and leo1954au like this.
  8. leo1954au

leo1954au Commander

Yep that's why I don't play multiplayer or maybe I'm just getting old and cranky at 63.

9. Marty

Marty Commander

Don't think so. I was fed up when I was 33. We played Americas Army. A military simulation game. Instead of team play and tactical progress everyone rushed like crazy. Just a bunch of egoists. Almost all of them. In other games even worse. Now at 47, I don't need those guys anymore....
    Intresting. I thought I would be the oldest one around here.

Frankyln and ion_storm like this.
  10. stimdealer0001

stimdealer0001 Captain

There are a lot of older cats on here. Myself not really being one of them at 32...but I tend to see alot in this community.

Then of course there's the PVP kids crowd who just wants this game to be another version of Halo and CoD. :(

Marty, Frankyln and ion_storm like this.
  11. ion_storm

ion_storm Captain

Keep it for adults, I say...:cool:

Marty likes this.
  12. cmwhee

cmwhee Commander

I think POI regeneration is dumb.

If I dismantle a thing, I want it to have consequences. If you're afraid that it means the planet is left desolate, that's fine, how about spawning new POIs.

We're turning off all POI regen on our servers, but we'd really like new POI generation

13. [WG] Mr Fun

[WG] Mr Fun Lieutenant

Uh good luck with that. When your server has no more POIs to raid you can reset the server. I hear that players love that.

14. stimdealer0001

stimdealer0001 Captain

Yeah, I see where cm is coming from, but POI regenration is definitely required on busy servers. Plus regen makes my life much easier, not having to wipe starter planets, etc anymore.

15. cmwhee

cmwhee Commander

Yeah, servers should have start/end cycles, and not be endlessly persistent worlds

It's a survival game, not an MMO, we run our servers for about 2 months before resets

16. leo1954au

leo1954au Commander

I've been building and playing on computers for a long time since my first desktop 286-sx 25 but nearly all my friends have trouble even turning a PC on

Marty likes this.
  17. zztong

zztong Rear Admiral

A person may want to make scenarios in our actual solar system. In which case the distance to the sun to a planet would be something like:

Mercury 0.39 AU
    Venus 0.72 AU
    Earth 1.00 AU
    Mars 1.52 AU
    Jupiter 5.20 AU
    Saturn 9.54 AU
    Uranus 19.18 AU
    Neptune 30.06 AU

And the dwarf planets:

Ceres 2.8 AU
    Pluto 39.53 AU
    Haumea 43.1 AU
    Makemake 45.3 AU
    Eris 68 AU

I need to double-check this, but I think the current "Warp" system costs one unit of fuel for each AU and that we're limited to one tank of fuel.

In terms of telling a story, the teleporters provide an option if actually warping around to those very distant dwarf planets isn't technically possible. Or, a person could divide those distances by 10 and just claim warp is extra capable.

Never the less, a few ideas come to mind:

1. Perhaps create another teleportation block that looks like a cryogenic sleep pod. The idea being that the player gets in a goes to sleep, and then wakes up at the new location, presumably after a long trip.

2. Perhaps create different technology levels of Warp Drives that extend the range. A T1 Warp Drive might function as the current Warp Drive does, while a T2 Warp Drive goes 10x the distance for the same fuel.

As you say, we have to be realistic in terms of system requirements, so rather than Google up some actual sizes, I think this question is best answered in game play terms...

I don't think Gas Giants need a "Planet" play area, just a "Space" one in which you can skim the atmosphere either for fuel or conduct research related to some scenario. Similarly, you could make "close" proximity to the Sun possible this way. Anyways, I suspect you can make a planet pretty large in the Space play area, such that it would take up to 20-30 minutes to fly around it.

For the rocky planets, down on the planet, it would be neat if it took around 15 minutes to fly around it. That is flying around it near the terrain, not in orbit. An Earth-like planet needs continents, oceans, and poles. An ocean might be big enough if it is possible to reach a place where there is no land in sight from the air. A continent might be big enough if it could have a dozen large biomes and that it be big enough that there were no oceans in sight from the air.

I'd also like to see some Open Space play areas and a re-definition and a few variations on asteroid belts. Open Space would obviously have no planets. This is where a scenario might put derelict ships, comet, a rogue asteroid, or something. Asteroid belts should come in several varieties including a field where the asteroids are not close to one another. Another might be in the remains of a destroyed planet.

Marty likes this.
  18. Supercrab

Supercrab Commander

orbiting planets!!!!! i wish the planets would rotate around the sun...
    for example, when you first start the game ominicrone is close to akua, a few days or weeks later, since akua and ominicrone has different orbits ( akua orbits to the right, omnicrone to the left) omnicrone would be more far from akua and it would take more pentaxide to get their. after a few game month or weeks omnicrone will be too faraway to go straight, you will have to go to a different planet then go to omnicrone. this is just an example, omnicrone and akua could have to same orbit or whatever. but the main thing i want from this is events, like for example if akua, omnicrone and masparone comes in a line so they are all alined the whatever-you-call-it event will happen, and akua will have differnet monsters that attack wich are way more harder to kill, and the game will tell the event is coming a few days before the event happens to warn the players to go to akua. this is just an example of the event. i hope you understand my grammer/spelling wich is terrible.

Marty and Frankyln like this.
  19. Captain Nemo

Captain Nemo Ensign

I feel like gas giants could probably host really interesting kinds of life that wouldn't be found on goldilocks worlds... flying fungal forests and gasbag algae biomes maybe... that sort of thing. Our recent excursions into the earth's deepest layers and that whole issue of Mir Space Station being eaten by spaceborne fungi has shown us that if no other quality is universal to all life-forms, at the very least all known life can be said to be tenaciously adaptable. Provided some volatile nutrients to consume, fungus will adapt to pretty much any environment at all... even the inside of the melted down and summarily buried chernobyl reactor core.

Intelligent life is another issue... I would like to see more variety and customization options for POIs and their related resources so I can make a "war of the worlds" kind of phenomenon with one moon covered in robots and drones and another moon overflowing with aggressive organic life, both orbiting some kind of "base" world with an environment too hostile for either paradigm but just barely survivable for players who can adapt technology to sustain their organic bodies with base structures and intelligent behaviors. Speaking of which, we need some airborne predators... and maybe a few space ameobae or mynocks or asteroid-dwelling mega-worms or... you know, wild critters that aren't ground-pounders. Also some spice-worms for Arrakis would be pretty cool. :) Collossal critters... yeah that's needed. Anyway... the distance between worlds thing is already adjustable enough to be accomodating. Seven to ten thousand kilometers between worlds that share an orbit makes them almost tedious to travel already and does not seem to have any repercussions on orbital-system file integrity. I would like to be able to make planets have a much greater range of sizes though... it seems weird that every planet is eight kilometers circumference regardless of composition and gravity and atmospheric density and all of that.

A PvP playfield that's a 50km circumference, high-gravity, high-density, acid-rain lava world, approximately 700C, with multi-colored lightning and a low-hanging bank of thick soupy glowing fog and asteroids constantly crashing into it like hailstones... that would be a fun world to try and live on. I've already started trying to make it, but there are some issues with overlapping weather phenomena, limitations on fog, and some problems with having a file get too long when you start adding biomes and resources and creatures to produce a lot of vastly different-looking terrain variations on the same world.

Another thing I would very much like to see soon is the ability to design POI structures and reliably replicate them in a similar way as blueprints so they can be set up from the playfield.yaml instead of relying on manual construction by an admin for every individual instance of them. This would greatly increase the viability of the scenario system.

medicineman, Marty, Supercrab and 2 others like this.
  20. Supercrab

Supercrab Commander

Gas giants could have POIs like baspin has, floating stations. and if you go too deep down near the middle of the gas giant, you will instantly die of pressure, your ship will also crush and disapeer.