PYSTONWORKS video collection.

Discussion in 'Media - Screenshots, Videos, Streams!' started by Pyston, Apr 1, 2017.

1. Pyston

Pyston Captain

Hey guys! I will be posting the videos I make for the ships I create here along with tutorials, and or instructional videos.

Thank you for viewing!

-Pyston

rainyday and Lady Astrum like this.
  2. Pyston

Pyston Captain

Here is the first video in my random tutorial series on ship design.

3. Pyston

Pyston Captain

Here is the second video on my random tutorial series on ship design.

4. Pyston

Pyston Captain

Here is the third video on my random tutorial series on ship design.

5. Pyston

Pyston Captain

Here is the 4th video on my random tutorial series on ship design.

6. Pyston

Pyston Captain

Here is the 5th video on my random tutorial series on ship design.

7. Lady Astrum

Lady Astrum Ensign

Great stuff, Pyston! Keep it up ^_^

Pyston likes this.
  8. Rogue55x

Rogue55x Ensign

Hey Pyston, these were awesome. I really resinated with your comment about how artist's and designers dont just pull stuff out of there bums, that its through study of others work out there and using and modifying aspects of things you get inspiration from. Im a UX Developer and visual designer myself and do this all the time to create something special for my clients.

Im just really getting into EGS after being away from it for awhile but i have already learned so much on the things that are possible buy looking at your work and others out there. I hope i can create something new and unique with what ive learned so far to share with the community.

Just wanted to say good job
    Cheers

rainyday and Pyston like this.
  9. Pyston

Pyston Captain

Thank you, I will do my best. Thank you for your daily support :)

Thank you Rogue. I was the kid always drawing R2D2, and recreating album covers from favorite bands on my folders through school. I was always good at copying other peoples stuff, but I was not overly original in my mind. I always thought art was about pulling things out of thin air, and I always struggled with that which ultimately led me to stop trying. For many years I just worked and stopped trying to be creative. Although people would comment positively on my decorating, or artistic things I had done around the house, I never considered art school but I did eventually go back to school through the recommendation of my pops girlfriend.

One of the things I noticed was the "best" artists in the class were always referencing something else. When I took my product design class, we talked about Jony Ive of Apple and his fascination with Dieter Rams of Braun and now the first ipod was heavily inspired by a thermostat that Dieter Rams made decades earlier. Even then I was still convinced that art was made up out of thin air.

When I graduated I got hired on with a firm and their lead designer and I hit it off well and became friends. He was like 9 months older than me and we related a lot to the pop culture we grew up with. The dude was amazing and we often talked about design, art etc. The funny thing is I was often teaching him shortcuts in photoshop, lol he did a lot of stuff the hard way.

One day I walked in to his office when we were closing and he was working on a birthday card for someone. I saw that he had google open on his second monitor and was pulling ideas from other things he saw. That was when it finally hit me that art is a progression, an evolution of art. People feed off each others ideas and produce better or different ideas.

Since that revelation I have been able to tackle things I would otherwise dismiss and I think my designs have improved.

Grabbing inspiration is how art happens, how design happens and how the world evolves in those categories.

It took me a long time (35+ years?) to understand that. I don't want to see others fail like I did or give up like I did. So much could have been done had I know this little tidbit of information early on.

Thank you very much for your reply. It made me smile and hopefully others can understand the importance of our small discussion.

On a side note, I am envious of UX design. It fascinates me, but also scares the hell out of me. LOL

rainyday and ion_storm like this.
  10. Rogue55x

Rogue55x Ensign

Hey Pyston
    I can totally relate to re-creating artwork on folders in school and then creating album covers for mix tapes growing up (Showing my age there) probably spent more time on the cover art then on the mixtape itself.

As for UX design it is very fun and rewarding but is not as scary as one would think. In alot of ways its what you have already been talking about in your videos. When designing a ship take the flow and function into account and how one would get around the ship in a logical since. That is all UX is, design something that looks good and understand the end user and there needs. Understanding the end user is a matter of experience but more importantly testing with your audience and not being discouraged when your wrong. I've been doing it for many years and i still start with the assumption that i am wrong and people will tell me why :) people are good for that. Also you don't need to reinvent the wheel as cultural standards have been set and people expect certain behavior after years of using smart phones and websites, I do mobile and web development but there are similar things in all mediums.

Back to the point of the post though, a little feedback for you. Like i said before these videos are awesome and are really good about the theory and the process that you take to create something and are definitely useful things that people should know and take into account. However i would really like to see more videos out there of actual building to a theme and the thought process at the time. Maybe how to build rustic or ramshackle, what textures work well together, how to add depth and details , lighting. This is something that i saw alot of back in the minecraft hayday and think it could be just as popular with EGS as the community grows. Its something that i have thought about doing but haven't had time to learn how to create youtube videos and i'm also just a so so builder but trying to get better and currently really investigating the planet creation and new scenario options as i think that is one of the coolest parts of a6.

Anywho that's all for now
    Cheers

Pyston likes this.
  11. Pyston

Pyston Captain

Thank you Rogue.

I my GF mentioned the same thing you did, about showcasing how to actually sci-fi styles or sub-genres. It's something I am have been thinking about, and actually my thought was to break down the videos I did make into finer points showcasing the processes.

I just don't want to get into a full on build as it takes a long time and I think watching someone slowly build a ship is kinda boring.

Making those videos for me is less about the content and more about just how to edit them together. I mean, showcasing ideas is the easy part, its the editing of all the bits together that seems like the time consuming part. Just been busy with RL work a lot lately, so not a lot of time to edit vids (spare time being used to update my ships to 6.0).

Thank you for the feedback. I feel you are spot on. Hopefully in the next few weeks its something I can tackle :)