Quick update: No Offline Protection

Discussion in 'Official Eleon Server' started by RexXxuS, Mar 16, 2017.

1. RexXxuS

RexXxuS Rear Admiral

Hi Survivalists,

as announced ingame:

Tomorrow (Friday, 17.03, 9AM (UTC + 1)) we turn off Offline Protection on the EU and US official servers.

Explanation:
    Even though the main goal of the official servers are to attract people who coming from Singleplayer / bought the game / are new to the game, we have nevertheless quite experienced players on here.

This means they know quite a lot of ways to "exploit" (circumvent the blue shield, etc.) the offline protection.
    Now with that said: the offline protection device is not "ready" yet. It needs a big rework. A lot of good suggestions were made like delay time, works as a real shield absorbing damage, etc. etc.

Till the rework of this feature new player or even drama queens will get a wrong image of this feature and complaining and losing still their stuff.
    The last thing a game needs is an untrusted feature. That is why we turn it off till the rework happened. Maybe in 6.0.

Alternatives to offline protection:
    Obviously a lot of playfields are PvE in the universe, so you can have there your backup base / ship.
    But if you want the thrill of PvP* then the only best way to secure your stuff is to fly out in space (~50k) and hide there your structures.

PvP*) keep in mind that PvP (almost in every game like this) is misinterpreted by the most people and translated to PvOP = Player versus Offline Player. Instead of Player vs Player.
    Offline Player on the other hand means actually pretty much PvE again; Player versus Environment.
    Because that is what it is: a structure protected by game mechanics without big challenge (currently).
    But this is a different, big drama topic in itself.

Last but not least we thank you for your feedback - even though this could mean we have to change things.

RexXxuS

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
    Frigidman and JBHitman like this.
  2. Stonesword

Stonesword Ensign

I dont see why making one persons base vunerable and able to be destroyed is helping to save one persons backpack / hv / sv. Seems turning offline protection off leaves the door open to have 10x the loss. People are informed enough to know about offline protection, or should be reading up if not.

3. RexXxuS

RexXxuS Rear Admiral

The experience taught us: no, they don't but blame the whole universe if the OP got exploited. One salty guy can ruin the fun for everyone then.

So no offline protection for everyone is very simple and easy to understand.

Hide or try your building skills on PvP but you know what to expect.

4. HasigavaTakuto

HasigavaTakuto Ensign

Offline protection removed, explosice left... Here is my AMD inside the enemy base, which appeared much later, and now neither pick up your AMD, nor to take away the resources that he produced I can't, the planet pve, to break AMD database or not... the planet Eris, such a database they put few resources to do that they dug them up...[​IMG]

5. RexXxuS

RexXxuS Rear Admiral

This has nothing to do with offline protection.
    This is - as already happened - just griefing and these two bases got destroyed now.

Next time please report this over the Get Support thread.
    Thanks and have fun.

6. Stinefelt

Stinefelt Ensign

Why not fix the range on the weapons so the base weapons fire further to help prevent that solo HV Sniper or Rail Gunning SV from taking everything? Then no rework is needed on the offline protection, could just be removed honestly. Balance the weapon ranges so you have to take some fire if you are assaulting. Make the challenge of actually being attacked back a thing!

Bibo likes this.
  7. RexXxuS

RexXxuS Rear Admiral

Playing that PvOP (player versus offline player) game isn't the only problem. There are many more connected with the OP such as ammo draining and OP camping for example.
    But time will tell.

8. Guru

Guru Captain

I am fine with no offline protection. To me, the largest issue with all of this is the fact that a manned turret has more range than a non-manned. This allows a single player in a cheap HV to take out a huge base with NO RISK. Bases should either have slightly more range, or at MINIMUM the same range. A player taking out an entire base with no risk at all is simply not fair in any way

Ballard and Stinefelt like this.
  9. Stinefelt

Stinefelt Ensign

In General:
    • Improve the range that the base weapons can attack. ( Stop Rail Gun / Artillery Sniping )
    • The range can also be applied to the POI's so you're not just walking in to loot away after sniping all the turrets.
    • Improve the range of the OP for individuals on holiday/vacation. (Provide a Dome structure rather then the current cube. To extend the same distances as the grief protection.)
    • Fix the medical stations to private / faction. (Remove them from being public.)
    • Force players to re-spawn back at their own medical station. (Remove current location re-spawning.)
    • Place a restriction on the number of active CV's, SV's, and HV's one player can have active.
    • Place a blueprint spawn timer cool-down to prevent a wide variety of ammo draining.

Now you have the magic formula to fix a large amount of the OP camping, and Ammo draining.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
    Guru likes this.
  10. Stinefelt

Stinefelt Ensign

99% of people don't read, they jump in game and trouble happens and they ask why. 1% actually try to find out the info before jumping into the game.

Guru likes this.
  11. Guru

Guru Captain

THIS! Why the heck is it possible that I kill someone in their CV and they can respawn INSIDE MY SHIP??? Cloning and healing chambers should be set to private or faction, not public.

That could definitely stop the current attack style of HV bombing a large base. Kinda silly that you can load up a massive CV with powered on HV's, fly over a base, set the CV to public and they all go falling down to destroy everything below.

Eleon doesn't need to re-think the wheel on this one. Just tweak what you have and it could be WAY better than it is now

12. Booyaah

Booyaah Captain

Are ppl still actually spawning in other ppl's medbays with the latest patch? Like have you had it happen to you on 6.0?

--------------

Yeah so they have a small CV sitting 500m back on the ground with a medbay, it is not really going to stop ppl re-spawning in the same playfield.

You get a faction with 6 ppl online, they can still each spawn a base so you still get a bunch of bases.

That being said, they do need to add a 5 minute timer on the OP activating when you try and log out. If they made it so the OP and BA anti-build zone worked for 600m (farther than the range of BA turrets), then you wouldn't have to worry about ppl dropping a bunch of BA next to yours while you're offline.

I'm more worried in the current incantation of ppl using it for CVs since those can be moved and you can drop a CV on a resource node to keep ppl off (you could probably do the same with BA). Maybe apply the same 600m anti-build distance from resource nodes, hmm.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
  13. AllAboardTheTrumpTrain

AllAboardTheTrumpTrain Ensign

I get frequent disconnects/game crashes. I do my best to stay in PVE zones but sometimes I want to explore. I just had the game crash on me in the orbit above mercenary camp and I have Offline protection but I fear my ship will be long gone before the server decides to let me back in.

14. Taelyn

Taelyn Guest

The offline protection is turned off. Building the device has no point since it wont work