READ FIRST - Important for SERVER OWNERS, ADMINS and PLAYERS!!

Discussion in 'Multiplayer Meeting Room' started by Hummel-o-War, Apr 25, 2016.

1. Hummel-o-War

Hummel-o-War Administrator Staff Member Community Manager

• Developer
    Dear Server Owners,

we already published our recommendation on the “stable dedicated server” settings. (READ)

As we detailed in the posting, we want to iterate on this and increase the stable environment step by step. But we need your help! That’s why we are asking you to send us Logs, Server-Savegames and telemetry – the more we get hands on, the faster we will progress.

Thanks to the reports we were receiving until now, we have identified eight common issues that your servers may also have been affected by.

So, if you or your players encounter the following issues, please save&exit the server and ALWAYS send us the all of the following infos/files (at least a+b; c-e are needed for some issues to be investigated):

a) the complete content of the folder “LOGS” (…\Steam\steamapps\common\Empyrion - Galactic Survival\Logs
    b) Your server savegame (Very important for some of the issues!)
    c) Any telemetry you have(f.ex. if you are running RAM or CPU monitoring tools, add the logs or screenshots of the TIME WHEN the issue happened)
    d) Count of active Players + Active & Reserved Playfields when the issue happened
    e) If the issue only happens on a certain playfield: Name and Size of the Playfield (RAM) at this timestamp

Overview of issues:

1. Overall Game Performance
    Description: Connection lost, Lag or overall bad performance
    Required Minimum: a-e

2. Vessels or Bases vanishing
    Description: Vessels or Bases vanished when coming back to their position from another playfield (e.g. Space -> Planet or similar)
    Required Minimum: a+b; c-e recommened.

3. Only Nametag of Vessel or Base visible
    Description: only the nametags of a vessel or base is left at its place.

4. Blueprints can be placed, but vanish instantly
    Description: Players place a blueprint and it instantly vanishes or only the nametag is left

5. Player gets stuck in Cockpit or Core or falls back to planet
    Description: Player is flying to space or down to a planet and either gets bugged in the core or is falling back to the planet without his ship.

6. Player cannot log in to a certain playfield anymore
    Description: Players log out normally but cannot log in again. Playfield or Server needs to get restarted.

7. Internal Errors (global issue)
    Description: You are seeing Exceptions in Telnet and users report “Continue or Quit” errors when performing a specific action.
    IMPORTANT -> Send us the Server LOGs + Savegame as soon as possible if you run into Exceptions or “CoQ” Errors!

8. Devices or Items missing/changed into other devices/items
    Descriptions: Devices like Warptanks or Jumpdrives are lost, Pentaxid vanishing from the tanks, Food turns into fuel packs or similar
    ESPECIALLY IMPORTANT -> RAM/CPU load, active player count, active playfields, Errors or exceptions accompanying the issue.

One word about granting us Server-Access: This is great and we will kindly accept, but it is not necessary, because we unfortunately won’t have the time to monitor all the servers accordingly.

It would be more important to receive the aformentioned files, so we can investigate the logs and the contents of the new info files that are created since the Alpha Release.

Mail your evidence to [email protected]

Thanks a lot for your dedicated help to improve the dedicated Server software! :)

2. piddlefoot

piddlefoot Rear Admiral

Awesome Hummel, very detailed, should help alot of server managers in helping sort bugs. I will link people here asap.

Ephoie, FAVn, Brenden and 1 other person like this.
  3. Frigidman

Frigidman Rear Admiral

Added this topic to my watch list... even though my DS has yet to exhibit a single issue (*yet?) I will be mindful when things go sideways. Thanks for a great sticky for this! *except a minor issue in telnet haha

Last edited: Apr 25, 2016
  4. ZipSnipe

ZipSnipe Commander

Now seeing this I am wondering if our server admins are doing this as all those issues listed happen ALL the time, in fact half my faction has already quit the game and started looking for other games to play and freakin bums me out because we had probably the largest faction.

2.0 looks nice but it does no one any good as they are not playing anymore because of the freaking constant restarts , shutdowns, lag , disconnects which 2.0 does not address any of those issues and yes I know the game is in Alpha but man you devs got to do something quick or the game is going to die out.

I for one would hate to see this as I love it.

Maybe limit ship sizes and turret counts for one as this seems to be the biggest cause of the problems

5. Frankol23pl

Frankol23pl Ensign

I think that giving people the possibility of creating servers have not yet finished the game a big mistake

6. FAVn

FAVn Ensign

Классный проект, он уже готов, его можно взять в "Steam", в мастерской? Он закончен?

Translate:

Cool project, it is ready, it can be taken in the "Steam", in the studio? He finished?

7. Atikamekw

Atikamekw Ensign

Any plans on giving us server's admin a Linux DS version ? I rent a VPS and usually put my game's DS on it, but with EGS I just can't. Yeah it could work with wine, but that's not a Linux version, it's a Windows emulation and it needs too many things for a simple CentOS without GUI.

Thank you and continue your hard work on this game, we really enjoy playing it.

8. StyxAnnihilator

StyxAnnihilator Captain

(READ) link not working (for me).

9. nottrox ¯\ (ツ) /¯

nottrox ¯\ (ツ) /¯ Captain

For me neither. @Hummel-o-War