Resources

Discussion in 'FAQ & Feedback' started by EleonGameStudios, Jun 26, 2015.

1. EleonGameStudios

EleonGameStudios Developer Staff Member

• Developer
    What do you think about the current resources?
    - Number of deposits
    - Size of deposits
    - Drop rate of resources
    - Other feedback?

Tyrax Lightning likes this.
  2. piddlefoot

piddlefoot Rear Admiral

I think that on the planet there should be small deposits, like what we have now, but in space I think the ore deposits should be as plentiful as SE.
    It should be hard to get of the start planet, the current idea of forcing players to build a base to build a large constructor is a good way of enforcing players to think about what they do in what order.
    It is however still very easy to get of the planet and into orbit.I think that needs to be made alot harder.
    The small deposits we have now are ok, but I think we need alot more of them, given when the map barrier is removed and the rest of the planet surface opened up this might solve that problem.
    In space I think the deposits need to be alot larger than the deposits on the planets.

24th century tech.
    Obviously the game is so new we dont have any automation yet as expected, what I think the game will need is a fully automated set of systems.
    From food to health to air to weapons to mining operations.
    These automated systems should be only obtainable after a set level of tech has been reached.
    This stops any fully automated stuff being built at the start of the game defeating the ''player/learning'' problem forcing the player to learn it all and do it all the hard manual way first.
    For mining a ''mining lazer tractor beam'' is a good way to go, that can be incorporated with very little performance hit, if done similar to how StarMade do it. They use a lazer to mine. It can mine whole planets without lag.
    The devices we put on ships/stations need pipes or conveyors so that everything can be auto fed.

Is it possible to have ground vehicles with wheels ?
    It would be great to be able to build ground mining vehicles with some sort of lazer tractor beam on the front.

Anyway Im sure you guys are pretty overwhelmed with all the new posts today I will leave it that for now.

wllcapmax, elmarko and AsaTyr like this.
  3. WolfAmaril

WolfAmaril Lieutenant

Just a small suggestion: let un-processed promethium be used as a power source.
    I'm pretty much screwed in my current save (unless I find a fuel cell) because my base ran out of power before my constructor could finish processing the promethium I had just harvested.

elmarko, Taragashi and Eviscerator like this.
  4. Geneticus

Geneticus Lieutenant

Need solar and batteries. Once you exhaust the local supply of fuel, you are stuck with no way to refine more.
    Being able to deconstruct items like weapons, ammo, and components to recover the metal would be helpful.
    Making advanced blocks is tedious as well with all of the sub blocks and the uneven counts of yields.
    Would expect the hover tip on something like the large constructor to tell you if you have enough resources to make it as well as the sub components and give you the option to to make all of the requisite items for you with a single click.
    Need something more to use stone gravel for, even if it is a primitive stone or concrete construction material.( could be a better start to have some low tech options like ARK survival.)
    Need some food spawns that don't require processing, but are low in nutritional value.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2015
    elmarko, Taragashi, Chief 117 and 2 others like this.
  5. mcsproot

mcsproot Commander

Fuel cells can be found on the corpses of drones. Also, there is a crashed capital vessel not far from the escape pod, I think I found some fuel cells in cargo boxes on there. But the point of the survival is, you need to use what limited resources you have wisely, until you're better set up. So consuming all of your fuel to make promethian pellets was unfortunately a bad call on your part.

Just like digging straight down in Minecraft! :D

But as to the resources themselves.

I haven't explored a whole lot, but there doesn't seem to be much considering we're on a planetary scale. Then again, if one planet had so many resources, there wouldn't be a need to explore.

Perhaps have the ability to have a long distance resource detector mounted on a ground vehicle or small vessel. It could be used to detect resources that are deep underground and not detectable by the player from ground level. To ensure we don't have a 'digging your way to China' moment, perhaps only allow the digging to go so far, and then we hit an indestructible bedrock or something similar.

Also, I am unsure myself on how to find stone. I'm currently assuming that stone is very easily found below ground just about anywhere, but haven't tested this much yet.

fractalman and Michael Robison like this.
  6. Eviscerator

Eviscerator Commander

Well, most life-bearing planets would have a mantle and core like Earth, presumably. That's an inherent limitation due to heat and pressure to keep you from mining too deep.

It'd also add the interesting possibility of finding and mining geologically 'dead' planets that are solid and cold to their core, allowing for massive resource deposits deep within.

wllcapmax and Nymea like this.
  7. Full Metal Panda

Full Metal Panda Lieutenant

I find the mining laser fuel is too short. I need a full charge to mine out a small deposit. I find this tedious and annoying to have to have fuel for my mining laser. I realize it make sense, but i'm not used to it. Also some lower tech items like hand tools would be nice. I know there is a repair tool, but having a pick, shovel, and screwdriver would make the energy management less tedious. And melee weapons, a sword/axe/hammer/spear for when my bullets run out.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2015
    Nymea and Geneticus like this.
  8. Silent_Ninja

Silent_Ninja Commander

Fuel for the mining laser is pretty easy. create the mining laser charges. You get 5 per craft.

Shadefang likes this.
  9. Full Metal Panda

Full Metal Panda Lieutenant

I know it's easy, just annoying to have to deal with it.

10. BlackStar7713

BlackStar7713 Lieutenant

What do you want a screwdriver for? You already mentioned the repair tool, which doesn't even need fuel or energy. So it's basically a futuristic screwdriver :D

11. Eviscerator

Eviscerator Commander

Because sometimes 'percussive maintenance' is cathartic. You never fix anything by giving it a quick swat with your hand, a swift kick, or a good whack with a hammer?

12. Ryan Kingstone

Ryan Kingstone Lieutenant

Should generate resources deeper into the terrain as well, perhaps add vehicle-mounted drills as well.
    Would definitively enjoy seeing a "radar" device that could scan ground below the scanner and try to map out an approximate resource map.

elmarko, Nuke, piddlefoot and 2 others like this.
  13. Silent_Ninja

Silent_Ninja Commander

That would be hella cool.

14. Geneticus

Geneticus Lieutenant

I'd like to see the ammo requirement for the repair tool and mining tool swapped. Or at least give the mining tool infinite use when not charged, but hella slow without a boost pack. Or give the mining tool infinite charge for digging without returning ore.

I'd like to see a more resources, but with a scanning mechanic, where detection happens by surveying a small area by hand, or a larger one by ship. Scanning would require a device and charges, but the ore would be there regardless if you want to strip mine.

Alternatively, Ore could have a spawn chance on player scanning.

15. mcsproot

mcsproot Commander

I'd at least want a few basic ores to be detectable around the start zone. Or say, the escape pod has a scanner built in, detecting the ores nearby (which would be preset to be some basics, like iron, copper and promethium), then you can dismantle it later to reuse the parts on another vehicle.

16. McMadCamel

McMadCamel Ensign

- Number of deposits:
    Seems good to me, not over spammed but not to few.

- Size of deposits
    Seems fitting to the resources, smaller size on fuel deposits are good, as where iron/copper is a bigger size.

17. AsaTyr

AsaTyr Ensign

How about to seperate the fuel types?
    GV use Oil, SV use kerosene and CV use Uran/Atom Fuel.
    Generators (water/Oxygen) use Batteries that need to be recharged at a Base generator.

its a bit wired that everything use the same "universal" fuel cell.

18. Eviscerator

Eviscerator Commander

I disagree, it'd be weird if everything used different fuels. Especially since the lack of oxygen use in the engines and power generation says that they're not internal combustion at all, thus no need for hydrocarbons as fuel.

19. AsaTyr

AsaTyr Ensign

its still far to easy to get fuel cells. since they used for everything. makes it a bit unrealistic.

since SV´s need to be low on wight.

20. Eviscerator

Eviscerator Commander

...unrealistic. You may have noticed the game presupposes a working FTL drive? I don't think strict realism is, or should be, a design goal here.

Edit: Also, I don't see how an advanced civilization designing devices to use standardized fuel cells is unrealistic. If anything, it makes excellent logistical sense.

fractalman and OzenRay like this.