Safely mine Zascosium in Survival

Discussion in 'Media - Screenshots, Videos, Streams!' started by Skye, Aug 17, 2015.

1. Skye

Skye Ensign

Heya!

Here's a suggestion for setting up a safe and effective mining op for Zascosium (Used in making Capital vessel thrusters). Basically the idea is to find the tower out in the middle of the lava pools beneath the massive swarm of drones, take out its turrets, replace the core, and build an outcropping base off of it.

The benefit to this is not having to use a base starter to setup, and if you stay on the northern side of the tower you are out of range of the other towers when flying your ship.

Secondly, build out from the tower and surround the ore vein with a wall and an Elevator (so you can mine vertically). Place a rocket turret at the top (make sure to jump in then get out so it targets things) and it will take out the drones that approach, though sometimes it gets distracted by random aliens.

Pics:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

If you do this, the creepy crawlies cant sneak up on you (due to wall) and you will hear drones firing at you because their bullets will hit the wall. My turret took out about 7 drones by itself up top.

Good luck!

Skye

2. Sure

Sure Commander

I was going to do this today! But I forgot to bring a core with me :( .
    Instead I took out the turrets etc, then dug a cave underground so I could mine in peace. Replacing the Core works for the space stations too.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2015
  3. RobDog

RobDog Commander

Excellent! Just awesome! Wish I had thought of this. On the moon, resources are quite deep, I'll just take a base starter and elevator sections with me and dig straight down.. A real mine shaft..

Thank you for posting this!

Skye likes this.
  4. RobDog

RobDog Commander

Excellent! Just awesome! Wish I had thought of this. On the moon, resources are quite deep, I'll just take a base starter and elevator sections with me and dig straight down.. A real mine shaft..

Thank you for posting this!

5. Skye

Skye Ensign

Hehe no problem! The elevator approach is crucial for the moon, totally, I just dug 100m down to the silicon there! ^_^

6. Skye

Skye Ensign

Thats a great idea! The only reason I turreted up (besides having an awesome base full of rocket-turrets firing at stuff) was because drones kept coming down and shooting my ship parked nearby. Buggers like going for SV's!

Sure likes this.
  7. Sure

Sure Commander

It sounds worth it just to see them all get shot to hell by the turrets....

8. DuLux

DuLux Captain

Thanks for the post! Update time!

NOW however I believe there is a surefire new method.

Add a docking pad to your HV Hover Drill... land it on your CV and take it along. Make sure your CV has 2-4 Cannon turrets. Find a zascosium deposit where you can land out of range of an enemy base OR land it behind a pile of dirt (as I did).

I really didn't have to rush but I did because it was a spooky place. Got 1600 zascosium in < 10 minutes and I got the hell out.

Honestly how much Zasc do you need anyway?

I recommend the MEGA-Hover-Drill on the Steam workshop... CHEAP and effective! Don't forget to add an extra RCS and a docking pad. When you place the docking pad (on the bottom obviously) don't forget to multi-tool deconstruct the pointy feet. I think there are 5 of them. IF you don't, the docking pad won't touch the ground!

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017