SERVER ADMINS: BotLO for These Two Cheaters

Discussion in 'Experimental Features Discussion' started by Daede, May 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wizzy

Wizzy Lieutenant

These 2 particular cheaters they was ..they had 999 auto miner cores so you saying they wasnt cheating ?
    and leaving a planet to new system before you can even make a warp capable CV at very low lvl with no help

2. joemorin73

joemorin73 Captain

I believe 7Days to Dies' CBSM might hold a possibility. Their implementation of the global server ban allows any server to ban a user. Server admins can then determine how many "reports" they require before they automatically ban. This prevent one admin having complete power.

3. Xango2000

Xango2000 Captain

I like that idea.

4. joemorin73

joemorin73 Captain

No. I'm not speaking of these specific cases. But in implementing a global banning solution, you need to consider other cases.

For example. What if someone is banned for hacking, but they weren't hacking? Empyrion occasionally has bugs that cause all sorts of issues. A player could potentially be banned for a bug instead of hacking. This is why it's important that one person is not the final deciding factor.

geostar1024 likes this.
  5. Xango2000

Xango2000 Captain

Should also reject the notion of software determining if a player is cheating.

This being an early access game, it's too easy to ban players by mistake.

I myself got banned from the server I admin on because the admin software being used back then accused me of cheating because I had 300+ large constructors in my inventory. I didn't even itemmenu those in, I crafted them to lower a blueprint timer.

Daede likes this.
  6. icky

icky Lieutenant

dude named "Hooters" came into the server i was on and started VERY quickly dismantling the moon drone base while a friend and I were raiding it! it still had power and enemies spawning and all of a sudden the whole base starts falling apart! i died as a result and lost all my stuff cus my backpack disappeared. he finally admitted he was hacking after i saw him drill a HUGE canyon in a few seconds. then he spawned me a CV, stacks of stuff, and a few epics, but none of it worked. he said the cv had no core so i tried to place one but nothing happened when i tried to place it. i tried to shoot down a drone with a gun he gave me but it wouldnt fire. (it had ammo in it, i looked). i also had a ship in the factory ready to spawn if i ever needed it and it wouldnt spawn. he left shortly after so i killed myself and spawned back at my base planet-side, STILL couldnt spawn my blueprint.

heres the weird part, it wasnt even a busy server. it was one of the many vanilla "My Server" with a max of 4 players. my friend and i were the only ones ever on it.

7. joemorin73

joemorin73 Captain

Is it safe to assume the server was not running EAC?

8. icky

icky Lieutenant

not sure, i dont know how to tell

although it that server is now password protected so i guess the admin saw something weird. (sucks that i cant play now though lol)

9. joemorin73

joemorin73 Captain

Use EAC enabled servers. (Small shields in the listings.)

10. icky

icky Lieutenant

ohhhhhh thats what that is. lol thanks

11. Jackall

Jackall Commander

I have no problem writing a web service api saving it to a sql server database. I could even go as far as writing the web pages that allows server admins to add/remove users. The problem is as joemorin73 says, it is a matter of hashing out how someone get's added or removed and who has access to do these tasks.

Maybe a server admin panel or a voting system? I'm not sure.

Your thoughts?

Garrett and Daede like this.
  12. Hopskotch

Hopskotch Lieutenant

Indeed. I had suggested a voting system earlier as well. I think maybe having a set of trusted admins as a panel who add potential ban candidates, can be voted up, or when necessary, voted off the ban list would be useful.

If the admins are trusted, the list should have integrity.

Daede likes this.
  13. Daede

Daede Guest

To expand on this:

In my personal opinion, these forums should have a section quartered off for server admins and owners with its own feedback channels between us and Eleon. it seems to me that we find ourselves having to make twice as much noise twice as often to be heard over the never ending sea of **** that just doesn't apply to/concern us.

@Hummel-o-War Would that be possible? A quartered off section of the forums where you have to be a server admin or added by a server admin to post, and where we would have a direct, un-cluttered line of communication to you and the rest of Eleon.

It sounds kind of elitist to say that we should get some special treatment, here, but we really do take on a lot more work than anybody else in this process EXCEPT Eleon, and an un-cluttered, direct avenue of communication between us and you would be ideal.

14. Jackall

Jackall Commander

I'm going to start the database layout today. It will be a rest api that will allow you to do several different types of requests.

Here are some of my api call ideas:

Open to public:
    IsUserBlackListed(steamid) - return true/false, reason, and user who submitted it
    GetListOfBlackListUsers() - same as above but in list format

Required Authorization
    SubmitUserForBlackList(steamid, reason, serverip) - submits user for voting
    RequestUserRemovalFromBlackList(steamid, reason) - submit user for voting

I'm working on the database layout now.

These are not set in stone and just a start, please give me your input.

Thanks

Daede likes this.
  15. OccamsRazor

OccamsRazor Ensign

I am an admin on the server Xango2000 is on as well. I was online when Hooters came on to our server. I was in my CV helping another player when he was able to change the core on my CV to a different faction. It booted me out of the pilot seat and he proceeded to destroy it. I had to stop the server and restart it to get rid of him. Once I acquired his Steam ID# I did drop a ban on him for that. There was another one named Cheetah that had to be banned also for the same thing. EAC was not running and it has been a bone of contention with me and the server owner. IMO this shouldnt even be an option. It NEEDS to be enabled or this happens. He was able to completely dig out from under my base as well as another player base on the planet I was based on. If we could come up with a information repository for information like this, it would help make the admin jobs a bit easier
    Occam

Daede likes this.
  16. Daede

Daede Guest

There are server admins out there who say EAH is all they need and it completely alleviates the need for EAC, which is categorically untrue. That said, you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him secure his server.

17. Jackall

Jackall Commander

@OccamsRazor, besides ban information, what other information would you like to have a repository for?

18. Daede

Daede Guest

I think the nature of their offense and any logs/screenshots/video links associated to incidents that have happened with that player would be appropriate.

When requesting a ban, the requesting agent should be able to include log files, screenshots and links to videos that detail what happened. When deliberating or reviewing players to vote on, someone should be able to add to that with an additional incident, adding their event and files to the list. Once a player is banned on the list, additional admins coming to check said list should be able to add their incident for this player, as well.

I guess what I'm getting at is that while it's great to have this database of banned players and a vote system to ban and unban them, it's paramount we have a detailed repository of their offenses.

It's a lot easier to say "Oh i wasn't hacking, that was a bug" when there isn't a mountain of tangible evidence to refute you.

19. Daede

Daede Guest

Likewise, if AgentX added OffenseY to PlayerZs pile, AgentX should be able to remove OffenseY

20. Jackall

Jackall Commander

Great points. I will add a transaction log for each player for admins to add information about the player.

Here are the tables I have so far:

Player (indexed by steamid)
    PlayerNames (alternate names the player has used)
    PlayerAttachment (printscreens and log files)
    PlayerTransactionLog (this will have any transactions that happen with the user such as banning, unbanning, etc)
    PlayerNote (notes from server admins about player)
    AdminVote (still working this one out)
    Admin

I'm not sure it's a good idea to allow removal of any notes without admin approval since it could end up causing all of the following notes/workflow after that one to not make any sense.

Keep the ideas coming!

Daede likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.