SERVER ADMINS: BotLO for These Two Cheaters

Discussion in 'Experimental Features Discussion' started by Daede, May 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jackall

Jackall Commander

Something that I need to consider is uploading any images, logs, etc instead of hot linking them.

If an image disappears, then the proof would be gone so we'll need a way to upload the proof instead of hotlinking.

One other thing, instead of going at this from a point of view of banning, how about going at it as a way to add information about a player, which includes the capabilities we suggested above.

For instace, PlayerX was a prick and trolling people on my server. Not a banable offence globally but I could add the information in case he becomes an issue later and the admins find the need to eventually ban him for other incidents. It would be helpful for future incidents.

What do you guys think?

Daede likes this.
  2. Daede

Daede Guest

But on the same token, If *I* add an event about this player, it should fall to me and only me to audit and remove that event.

Maybe add something along the lines of: This event was removed by AUTHOR

And have author be a link, so if need be, they can contact author to find out what the event was and why it was removed.

Or, maybe just give AUTHOR a means to append their own event and add notes like "I talked it out with PlayerX and he saw the error or his ways and promised to play nice. /unbanned

One thing that's been bothering me about this is: Is this just for hackers, or is there a provision here for people who just won't follow the rules? Like maybe expand the "Why Banned" qualifications to be quite arbitrary. For example: On TGE, it is illegal to grief players in pve in any way, shape or form. I would like to be able to add people who have broken this rule enough times to catch a ban to this list. Maybe a priority system.. Priority: Hacker, Rule Breaker, Belligerent, Etc.

I mean, its on us admins to implement this ban list anyways, we might as well be able to list everybody we banned and why. Maybe other admins share similar policies and would just rather not deal with that guy...

Anyways, stuff to chew on. Remind me to buy you a beer sometime for all you're doing on this front. This is long overdue.

3. Daede

Daede Guest

Looks like you were echoing my thoughts as I was writing them

4. OccamsRazor

OccamsRazor Ensign

I would be amenable to having the information there and have a quorum or some other form of mediation to determine a course of action. Depending on severity of the indiscretion. If nothing else than just information akin to this post. Giving the name and steam ID of the offender and having other admins be on the look out for anything that was unto-wards. Admins should be able to ban on their own server and let other admins know what happened and have them make their own determination for their server. If something like this comes to fruition, then we would have to have some sort of guidelines. Mainly it is imperative that EAC be active. It is not a be all, end all answer but every little bit helps.
    Occam

Daede likes this.
  5. Daede

Daede Guest

There are always going to be servers that don't use EAC, and this list - at least the hacker section of it - is primarily for them. I haven't had a single hack since enabling EAC, so I won't be contributing to that portion of the list again unless someone develops a method of bypassing EAC on a server (g'luck w/that). I think we're all on the same page, though.

6. Jackall

Jackall Commander

In my last post, I was addressing this too I believe. I believe it can be more than just a 'ban' site and even a player information website. See my last post. I believe that covers this. If not, let me know.

Maybe a severity also?

For example:

PlayerX is a constant problem child on servers. Admins complain about him but some admins don't care. Put his severity at 8/10 and when the query is run, it can request a list of people with a severity of X or greater.

Here is my thoughts so far for the user interface:

PlayerX also has an "account" screen
    - Current Severity Level (1-10)
    - Known aliases
    - Server's visited (?)
    - List of issues with playerx

List of issues includes:
    - the type of issue (hacker, rule breaker, etc)
    - files such as logs and print screens
    - admin that requested ban
    - ban date/time
    - any notes from admin
    - then a transaction log of notes from anyone else wanting to give input or ask questions

For example:

Admin1 has issue with PlayerX so he creates Issue1234. PlayerX has a list of issues under his name. Click on the issue and it gives details about the issue with any notes and attachments.

What do you guy's think?

Daede likes this.
  7. Daede

Daede Guest

Stellar.

8. Jackall

Jackall Commander

:cool:

Daede likes this.
  9. Jackall

Jackall Commander

I need some ideas from you guys on how the voting for severity should work. How should a player get a severity?

I'm using 0 as a base of no status and 10 being the ultimate douchebag.

0 - no information
    1 - Warning (?)
    2 -
    9 -
    10 - Hacker/Cheater (?)

This should give us some room to figure out the details.

How are they to achieve increased levels and how would admins vote?

Do you have a better idea instead of this?

Keep in mind, this number will be used in queries to get a list of people you want banned on your servers. ie. give me a list of all players > 8

Give me your thoughts pls.

10. Jackall

Jackall Commander

I have a feeling that defining these with descriptions is going to bite me since they could fall under multiple categories.

I think I'm going to go with a severity without descriptions unless someone has a better idea.

11. OccamsRazor

OccamsRazor Ensign

Severity will depend on the destruction they inflict.. I.E if they have a stack of AM cores and didn't damage anyone's base, that should be a temp ban.. say.. 24 hours and say a severity of a 2-3. If they damage server property or cause general discontent on the player base, that should be met harsher, obviously. Warrant a 7-10. This is just off the cuff thinking as I am at work right now. I will try to elaborate more later this evening
    Occam

12. Jackall

Jackall Commander

I don't think I'll be issuing a ban length. Granted I could have a field for which they are banned until xxxxx date but I think that is up to the server admins to determine the reprocussions and length.

I will only be issuing a severity to which the user is being a nuance, exploiter, or cheater.

13. Jackall

Jackall Commander

Yeah, the more I think about it, I don't want to get in to ban lengths.

I think the admin of the server should base their ban on the severity of the player. If they want to ban players 8+ then they query the list and get those players. If the admin wants to ban a player on their server for x days, then they can handle that on their end.

14. Hopskotch

Hopskotch Lieutenant

What if we make "offense classes". E.g. Class 1 offense is worst, cheating, exploiting etc. class 2 is griefing and general rule breaking. Class 3 is minor infractions like trolling and religious offensive material, spamming etc.

Admins can then make a call on their end in what they feel is worth banking for.

Then, we may say class 1 = autobahn, class 2 requires 2 or more reports, class 3 requires 5 or more reports, etc.

Also means we can group and categorize the majority of folks and also track small issues which could add up to a big problem.

Daede likes this.
  15. Daede

Daede Guest

Yasssss. Simple 3 tier system. I like.

16. Jackall

Jackall Commander

ok I just saw the ideas above. I'll see how to work them in.

This is what I had dawn up in photo for a site concept:

[​IMG]

17. Jackall

Jackall Commander

I'm not sure I understand.

Are you suggesting two different categories?

Also, the voting, if they are caught cheating with clear evidence, how would the ban process go? I guess I'm wanting to know how all of this would tie voting together.

18. Hopskotch

Hopskotch Lieutenant

Hi Jackall -- Sorry was on phone and didnt expand as much as i could have.

Consider 3 categories (Think like misdemeanors or felonies)

Class 1: Exploiter/Cheater
    • Has been proven to use exploits
    • Has been proven to use hack
    Class 2: Griefer/Rulebreaker
    • Has been proven to be a chronic griefer
    • Has been proven to break server rules repeatedly
    • does not correct behavior when addressed by admin
    Class 3: Nuisance/Troll
    • Does not significantly break rules, but:
    • Repeatedly disrupts community
    • repeatedly exhibits troll-like behavior (disruptively)
    • Spams ads or other solicitation
    • inappropriate, but not illegal behavior

Using your ideas and portal, users would be submitted by admins and subsequently voted up (thinking like a "LIKE" button to add approval weight) by other approved admins.

Within that, we can, as admins, create our own rules (reports) aroudn what we consider bannable -- i.e. "standard ban rulesets" could be "show me all users who are Class 1 offenders who have been voted by 3+ people" for example. This would let admins make the decisions as to who to ban on their servers rather than question the criteria as to why someone is on the ban list. etc. Just a thought.

Also -- Would think we need two user levels here (beside global admin).
    1) General user -- Can view the lists, but cannot vote or add/remove/edit
    2) Approved Server Admin - Can view, add, remove, edit, etc.

- Hops

19. Jackall

Jackall Commander

Good info!

I guess my next question is, are people going to use it? Maybe I should put up a post to see who would actually use it and give input. Not fond of spending all this time and noone using it. :)

I inquired with an EAH admin to see if they want to integrate it in to the app if I created it. I think it would be a good addition.

20. Xango2000

Xango2000 Captain

RexXxus has previously posted his opinion on this topic in other similar threads that have come up, he is against it.

I however would definitely be interested in integrating this into my own software.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.