Share your A-symmetrical vessel designs!

Discussion in 'Questions, Discussions & Feedback' started by Fractalite, Oct 2, 2016.

1. Tyrax Lightning

Tyrax Lightning Rear Admiral

Speaking of 'destructive'... my ability to build SVs has been completely compromised lately because i've been trying to 'compromise' between my style & 'Neurotypical Strategy' & the only result I can get out of it is Massive Catastrophic Failure... & it's screwing up my Morale & making my Head Problems hit me harder then ever... :(

Good ol' Star Trek: Voyager... I can't help but to wonder if the Episodes ya were watching were related to the Dino Species Voyager discovers in the Gamma Quadrant that turn out to be Earth Dino Survivors of the 'Dino Extinction' who sadly developed a FIERCE amount of Conceitedness & Zealotry & can't appreciate their own amazing Achievement because it conflicts with a fiction known as a 'Doctrine'. The Voyager Crew encounter a promising hope of the Species though who is much like a Galileo of his People though...

TL: DR Empyrion follows ITS OWN RULES & has ZERO obligation to give any way shape or form of damn about Real Life Rules. :p (Just kidding, I did read it.) I fully agree.

It's Symmetrical EVERYWHERE, or not at all. Fact. You don't get to tell that Asymmetrical Tower sitting on top of the Deck that it's irrelevant & can't matter... it's still there & is STILL Asymmetry. Fact. :cool:

Asymmetry that is not affecting Performance is STILL Asymmetry, & also thanks for confirming that this IS indeed a case of Asymmetry that IS working while being Asymmetry thus directly proving that there IS possibility for Asymmetry to be a winning functional design.

Now imagine how much easier it may be to make Asymmetry work in a medium like Space where things like Wind Resistance, Water Resistance, & such are NOT a thing. ;)

Make a Symmetry Ship with Symmetry Placed Thrusters, lose a Thruster, you STILL have disaster where propulsion force is no longer even & ya can now, as the Air Force calls it in Movies like Top Gun, "Spin Out". Where's the difference between losing a Thruster on a Symmetry Ship & Asymmetry Ship now?

Oh, by the way as for "ships are designed by engineers not by morons.", I design Empyrion Ships & i'm a *****, so I just flat out negated & refuted your Argument. :p

If there was just a couple more Weapons on that Left Arm, I could easily imagine naming that dude the "Crab Hammer". :)

By "blast", do ya mean this kind or this kind? :p

One thing's for sure... the Stop Having Fun Guys Attitude is real. I can't help but to wonder if Cotoktoto would be happier in the Space Engineers Realm... till enough Evil Griefer Bomb Dogs had chewed his face off then jumped down his throat & exploded... every 2 seconds... :p

2. Slam Jones

Slam Jones Rear Admiral

OMG that is an epic name! I might just have to do that xD

Also, here is some interesting reading on the subject of why so many vehicles (in this case, cars) are built symmetrically. And no, it's not because "it's easier that way." :p The article actually brings up several good points regarding how we perceive vehicles and the like.

http://jalopnik.com/why-are-cars-almost-always-symmetrical-1645649619

Tyrax Lightning likes this.
  3. Tyrax Lightning

I found that Article an interesting read & vote for my answer to it as "Plausible". :)

Fractalite and Slam Jones like this.
  4. Slam Jones

Slam Jones Rear Admiral

So, plainly, you do not understand what asymmetry is. You can just admit it, mate. It's okay. I'd say your with friends here but (lol) I don't see very many likes at all on your posts.

Regardless of the intended functionality, symmetry relates to the physical properties of the object. The bottom part of the ship is symmetrical, sure. The top part of the ship in NOT symmetrical. Therefore, the ship, as a whole, is NOT symmetrical. It's very very simple. Either both sides are exactly the same, or they are not. One or the other. Symmetrical. Asymmetrical.

It's okay man, I understand that you're scared and confused. We all are at some point. All you gotta do is put down the boxing gloves, close your mouth, and open your mind. It's okay to be wrong, because that is how we learn. :)

I'm not gonna reply to the rest since you're grasping at straws here. Sorry you're so frustrated that you have to try (and fail) to put down random people on the internet.

----------------------

Right? I think there is a lot to be said of primitive hunter-gatherer type instincts. I mean, they kept our ancestors alive in a world of Mammoths and Saber-Toothed Tigers, so there's gotta be something to it. Sure, it doesn't always apply to modern civilization, but some situations don't change.

If there is a massive, roaring object rushing towards you, it doesn't make any difference if it's an elephant or a car... you know to get out of its path lol

Edit: If a moderator comes through to clean up the thread, you can remove this one too.

More pictures of asymmetric ships! That's what we really need :)

Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
  5. XeroTerragoth

XeroTerragoth Captain

I was going to go on a whole light-hearted mini-rant about how you people and your asymmetrically built ships are evil, complete with a 'hissing' sound as a withdraw back into the darkened, shadowy recesses of the forums.

That is, until I saw the pedantic ravings of (Tyrax put it best) the "Stop Having Fun Guys" dude. I'd respond, pointing out his numerous spelling and grammar errors, the areas where he completely eschewed logic in order to support his point (which he ironically claimed was in defense of selfsame logic), but I think (literally) everyone in this thread gets it and has thoroughly refuted him.

I, while being unable to conceive of asymmetrical designs myself, can completely appreciate the concept behind this thread, and the 'game logic' that supports it. I think this is a great idea, Fractalite, good on you for trying to get the community to think outside their instinctive boxes (and for what it's worth, I think the Galileo analogy was quite apropos in this case, even more so when we consider the scorn and ridicule from Cotoktoto or whatever his name is).

I must admit, even I am guilty of this symmetry thing, but it is mostly because I tend to be OCD IRL and symmetry is just one of those things that sets it off. In fact, I think I will make this a personal challenge for myself and design an SV at least that is not symmetrical. You people have officially inspired me! ;)

6. Kieve

Kieve Rear Admiral

While on my way to work, I remembered this little prize from the Zero-G lineup. Although maybe "little" isn't the right word, considering it's one of the biggest HVs I've run into yet.

Also, this thread has given me some inspiration to try a few SV or even CV designs based on old Lego models - though right now I'm thinking I might tweak them to follow the Angelspire aesthetic, since that seemed a big hit on the workshop.

7. Admiral Adama

Admiral Adama Lieutenant

Just to play a little devil's advocate here, I would wager that actually most of the BP's on the workshop are technically asymmetrical by definition because many of them have different types of blocks in parallel opposition to each other (i.e. fuel tanks on one side and cargo boxes on the other), not to mention simple human error :p

8. Cotoktoto

Cotoktoto Commander

This circle of mutual adoration amongst uneducated people in this topic is really amazing. You guys putting semantics versus laws of physics. Physics always win. I could ask you guys, who are you from education and how old you are, but I doubt I will get any real answer...

Bunch of kiddos designing square wheel that doesn't gonna work, trying to defend it by semantics and speaking about how fun it was.

9. Slam Jones

Slam Jones Rear Admiral

Geez you're like the kind of guy who would walk into a bear den, kick a cub in the face, then wonder why you're getting mauled to death. Total lack of situational awareness.

Anyway...
    Video game. Video. Game. Video game.

Do you get it yet? We're playing A VIDEO GAME. It's not real life. It's a video game. As in people play it to have fun.

"I could ask you guys who you are from education" Isn't even a sentence so I don't know what the hell that means.

If you're overly concerned about physics, go play KSP (Kerbal Space Program). I've put 1,000+ hours into it and I can tell you for a fact, that if you prefer cold logic to fun, you will love that game. And hell, you might even learn a thing or two. I had fun with it as well as learning, mainly because I'm open-minded and willing to admit when I'm wrong.

And a smart 32-year-old like you should know how to click on Profiles.

I'm 27. American. College educated. I like to study and learn about physics and science, as well as testing my limits by playing sandbox games like EGS and KSP to expand my creativity and help me consider different ideas and ways of life. Before I argue with strangers on the internet, I look up the facts regarding what is being discussed, so I can give solid, valid answers. I prefer not to personally insult or insinuate insulting against individuals unless it is clear that they only intend to troll or disrupt ordinary activities. I believe that people are innately good, and only become twisted and bitter due to their environment... abusive/negligent parental figures, lack of money, lack of education, self-imposed issues: these are all things that can turn a good person sour, and I truly feel bad for you if you have experienced any of them.

I used to be like you. Always looking at people enjoying themselves in a way I think is strange and insulting them. Like furries. What's up with that?

And then, I realized something... it doesn't affect me in the slightest. How another person enjoys themselves has 0 bearing on ANYTHING in my life. Unless they are assaulting me, I could care less what they do.

Going back to Furries, sure I think they're weird as fuck. But does it affect me? No. Am I constantly worrying about it? Hell no. Because they're just ordinary people, enjoying themselves. So what do I do when confronted with Furries? Smile and nod, and not engage them. I won't go out of my way to attack or insult them, but I also won't go out of my way to cheer for them. They're just people like the rest of us.

Just the same way people who want to build Asymmetric ships have literally 0 effect on your life. I know this. You know this. Everyone knows this. If you're truly unable to watch people enjoy something, then that is actually a mental illness, and you should see a mental health professional.

*Sticks out hand for a handshake* Name's Alec. How are ya.

This will be my last post directed to you, quoting you, or acknowledging you in any way, @Cotoktoto . Good luck with your life, sir, and I wish you well with your potential mental health challenges.

Can do!

Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
  10. Admiral Adama

Admiral Adama Lieutenant

Lol dude, just stop. You've been proven wrong in every conceivable way. Maybe it's a lost-in-translation thing (since you're clearly not a native English speaker), or maybe you're just a troll, but at this point I don't think anyone really cares. I strongly urge the rest of the community to simply ignore Cotoktoto from this post onward. Deuces!

11. Phantom Aria

Phantom Aria Commander

We need more Ships posted here! and less pointless arguing

Fractalite, Siege Inc., Kieve and 3 others like this.
  12. Cotoktoto

Cotoktoto Commander

I play KSP and SE for years but they don't have a survival. Empyrion have only survival and few blocks to build from them, mostly stolen from SE anyway. KSP & Empyrion should have babies for creating a better game.

Sure, nonetheless it's still pointless to design ship like that.

You can surround yourself in a soap bubble if that makes you happy, but that is nothing more than hiding. Have funn with that...

Why? This topic so far is a good list of strange people, I'm sure it will not be as long as it is without few kicks here and there.^^

13. Tyrax Lightning

As of the time of this Post, 33 years old, Asperger, farthest I got in Education was about 2ish Months into 6th Grade, then got defeated by Bullies & had to be switched to Home School style Education, dunno how my Educational Level would now be technically specified as officially, also have some OCD Problems... & I STILL couldn't care less what the RL Laws of Physics SAY should happen in Empyrion, Empyrion follows ITS OWN Laws of Physics & any Restriction to the Contrary I follow is self-imposed, including but not limited to choosing to think 'Burying Thrusters' is Cheese & I choose to not do it as part of my having fun.

RL Laws of Physics don't get to be the God Emperor of the Empyrion Universe. The 2 Universes are totally separate & have no direct contact with each other, so Real Life does NOT get to walk over to the Empyrion Universe, hit it upside the head with a Priest Staff, & order it to bow down to Real Life & Submit or be Smited & Crucified on the spot.

Funny ya mention this... I got a Steam Pal who's a Furry. He's a cool likable guy & his being a Furry has never made him a bad person & we had some fun times during our heavy Terraria Days. Truly a case of 'To each their own'. :) (Despite the fact that we had some differences from each other in regards to what kind of people we were! Wow!)

I'm still unsure if Cotoktoto is a Troll or if he's simply being very Zealotical about RL Laws of Physics... sadly a LOT of People out there CAN indeed be that way... that they think anything & everything THEY 'know' really is the only way, period. Reminds me of a cool Quote from the Skyrim Character Farengar Secretfire: (Hopefully being remembered correctly...) "It is the sure mark of a Fool to dismiss as impossible anything outside the Realm of one's own experience."... somehow that's always stuck with me & my sorry excuse of a Memory ever since. :)

Fully agreed. Makes me wonder if I should try a Asymmetrical Build... probably fail bad, but might at least be funny to laugh at I guess. :)

Last edited: Oct 4, 2016
  14. Phantom Aria

Phantom Aria Commander

even if you fail maybe you'll end up with a great ship you would not have built otherwise.

15. vicomt

vicomt Captain

A-Symmetry is intriguing, on one hand your brain sees a "rightness" with symmetry, which makes it easier to create some thing that looks "right", but (physics arguments aside please) there's no reason something lopsided can't be just as "right" in it's own way. I can't say we'll be building one, but we'll probably be thinking about building one ;)

Fractalite and Tyrax Lightning like this.
  16. Fractalite

Fractalite Rear Admiral

I love this attitude Aria. Not only is it valuable for a-symmetrical designing to simply exist as a sense of possible expression, but it does have direct utility as well. In the first page of this thread you pointed out how it could make an enemy guess at where to fire, and now you reached out in kindness to Tyrax and pointed out that perhaps it could simulate the imagination. You, madam, get more than a "like;" superbly stated! Huzzah! Bravo! Three cheers!

This gave me a good chuckle. You have a great sense of humor and are well spoken/written to boot. You decidedly used humor and a kind of self referential posture to provide contrast. Beautifully done!

Thank you Slam for your steadfast defense of these ideas, I am humbled. I knew that the idea of promoting a-symmetry and non-euclidean thought would challenge people, but I did not expect such vocal opposition from even one person. I thought for sure that if people disliked the idea, that they would just dismiss it or ignore it and move on. What is troubling to me, is that my bet is that Cotoktoto is not alone - he is just the most vocal.

I saw some troubling posts on several workshop items today... some very brash and insulting comments that were deliberately putting people down and I suspect were followed by some impulsive down-voting thus ruining some peoples dreams. That was not you was it? Or did you recruit people to do the work for you? If it was, you are despicable. If I find out...

You are such a nice guy Tyrax. I love it. If you ever want a highly potent muse to help you with your ship design, let me know, and I will help. Also, that was not the episode, but that is a damn fine episode that, as a result of your comment, I just watched again while pleasantly eating pizza, drinking beer, and having very strange burps. :)

I hear ya, to each their own. I only hope to inspire and expand peoples thought's and hopefully create a comfortable place where they can share them for consideration.

Also, I forgot to mention that you are hilarious? :) No no, I mean your ship, from page 1, is not bad. I say give it another go! The red team could really fluster blue team with some heterodox designs. :cool:

In addition, I did not know that furries were a thing until now. That is fascinating!

No such thing. Give it a try Tyrax! Then post it, I am eager to see it. A hint; just go nuts. There is no fear of rejection here. :)

Slam Jones, Tyrax Lightning and Kieve like this.
  17. Tyrax Lightning

Many thanks! ^_^

Also, buggers on my miss on the Episode Call... but I couldn't help myself, the Attitude of those Dino Hierarchs & a certain someone in this Thread were so spitting image of each other... plus that is among my fav Voyager Episodes. ... I oughta give Voyager a Re-Watch sometime. :)

I think I will tomorrow morning, if I can avoid Oversleeping too hard... again... My Sleeping Problems have been real bad lately. I am pondering various Asymmetrical Ideas though trying to think of what would have the best chance of success though... maybe it could also help break me outta this SV Funk i've been having too.

Fractalite and Kieve like this.
  18. Fractalite

Fractalite Rear Admiral

Aha! I knew you seemed familiar! You also work with Oojimaflip.

And welcome to the forums!

Tyrax Lightning likes this.
  19. XeroTerragoth

XeroTerragoth Captain

Just turned 35, BS in computer engineering, intensely obsessed with physics on any scale (astro/quantum/etc.), working a full-time job as a programmer for almost 5 years at this current place. Not really sure where the "uneducated" crack comes from, you think because you posses a basic understanding of simple physics that you're some kind of anomaly in a sci-fi community. That kind of speaks for itself when it comes to your ... generous view of your own self image.

And I'm quite amused, as I'm sure others here are, at your attempt to insult the intellect of everyone here, though with your advanced mind you must full realize that, statistically speaking, there guaranteed to be multiple people in this thread with intellect rivaling (or exceeding) your own. I'm not sure if that takes balls, or if you're suffering from the Dunning-Kruger effect, but please, tell us more about how your lack of an imagination inhibits you from wrapping your immense brainpower around a simple concept as another universe with different laws of physics from our own.

Do yourself a favor champ, and don't get into a conversation with a real physicist about black holes or the event horizon lol it would probably break your brain.

20. Kieve

Kieve Rear Admiral

As much as I laughed at this (and oh, did I laugh), it's probably best not to continue feeding the troll. I suspect he's just getting off on the attention, and I'd rather see this thread focus on beauties like this:
    [​IMG]
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=673555723