Share your Planets

Discussion in 'Media - Screenshots, Videos, Streams!' started by Kaeser, Jul 26, 2016.

1. Celdorak

Celdorak Lieutenant

Yeah, I've been following that and I'm excited with the merger between the playfleild designer and the playfeild generator projects. The generator project already has a working method for sector files. It's nice not to have to spin up the game just to figure out exactly where I placed everything :)

2. Skarnet

Skarnet Ensign

javarox87, Celdorak and Kaeser - you guys are legends. Thanks for making this work and sharing your work. I'm getting into making worlds/servers, but I don't have time for making planets, so thanks a bunch mates! I'm following your posts and just want to give you the acknowledgment you deserve :)
    Looking forward to seeing the game develope even more.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
    Kaeser and Celdorak like this.
  3. Kaeser

Kaeser Rear Admiral

Lol... Thanks mate.

If you're into building servers here's another thread that shows how to have planets with cities prebuild, or in this case a race track to have events...

Share your Map / Scenario

martian101 likes this.
  4. Captain Jack II

Captain Jack II Rear Admiral

Ooooh oooh I made a planet! Behold Planet Karren. Guaranteed to bring your FPS to a crawl, unless you turn shadows way down.

On approach:

approach.png

Day time on the forest floor:
    forest floor day.png

Evening... night is pitch black.
    forest floor evening.png

Orbit:
    from orbit.png

Attached Files:

5. Kaeser

Kaeser Rear Admiral

6. Captain Jack II

Thanks! I saw a swamp planet out there already that looked really cool. I kinda want this one to have modern elevated POI's above the trees, and primitive POI's on the forest floor. Though the performance hit with lots of trees might make it tough to do. Playing with the new playfield generator to see if I can't place this thing somewhere in the galaxy.

7. Captain Jack II

is there a Wiki or something to address all the... stuff, in the playfield yamls? Pretty much none of it is makes any sense to me, just wondering of someone has compiled a reference or if it's still the wild west.

8. Pantera

Pantera Administrator Staff Member

• Developer
    Celdorak and Captain Jack II like this.
  9. Captain Jack II

That is exactly the droid I was looking for.

Skarnet likes this.
  10. Javarox87

Javarox87 Captain

The final version of Harmony... the original file even after all the work myself and others attempted to fix it still resulted in internal errors. This time I decided to see what would happen if I just copy and pasted all of Harmonys attributes into the Omicron Yaml. Same everything as Harmony, kept some of Omicrons attributes in addition. Works perfectly. The planet is now featured on Destiny's Amber belt as "Terranus" with a boring moon that has secret beneath its surface. IMG_1256.JPG IMG_1257.JPG

11. Javarox87

Javarox87 Captain

IMG_1258.JPG IMG_1255.JPG IMG_1252.JPG IMG_1254.JPG IMG_1239.JPG These are some screenshots of the planets and moons I introduced on Destiny yesterday. Special thanks to this thread... I always go here for motivation before I decide to scratch a project. Destiny is now at 100 playfeilds! 75% of which are custom planets, moons, orbits. These planets mark the final phase of the servers custom content roadmap until 6.0/more optimization is added to the game. Anyone is welcome to come explore the server, we are mostly PVE. When I begin the 6.0 Destiny roadmap, I will be providing a new public version of the server's content. I would link these yamls now but we are currently in the middle of our "Lost Ship" event with the prize being a class 5 luxury CV.

Note: it's hard to see the details in the picture of the orbit of Junapore and its moon... the playfeild has the asteroid ring from Akua and the asteroid feild from Aitis. Discovered that you can add as many asteroid fields as one desires into an orbits yaml. Two rings for example = a super dense Asteroid Belt around a planet.

martian101, Skarnet, Kaeser and 2 others like this.
  12. Kaeser

Kaeser Rear Admiral

Nice one mate, I once created a similar planet and used Akua green trees to differentiate oasis with water from desert areas that only had palm trees.

Need to find where that one ended up...

Javarox87 likes this.
  13. Kaeser

Kaeser Rear Admiral

Don't even want to think what is like to manage such a server but I'll surly have a look one of these days, god speed mate.

As for the asteroids you just need to be careful with placement or you end up with asteroids clipping through planets and stations...

Javarox87 likes this.
  14. Javarox87

Javarox87 Captain

For the record... Destiny has been a team effort to include three Admins and the community has had a part to play as well. Another server by the name of "Astral Haven" has adopted Destiny content as well. By sharing the earlier stages of the custom playfeilds, I learn how to make it better. Multiple sets of knowledgeable minds and eyes will always bring about a greater virtue than an individual especially when it comes to yaml code. :)

15. Javarox87

Javarox87 Captain

Quick Question: say that I have an endeavor to create a planet that is the origin of a certain critter say "Plant Monsters"... and I wish to spawn as many plant monsters that the game will allow in every Biome. I haven't surpassed "3" in the yaml. Would it break the game if I raise it to 7 or 8?

Goal is to create custom POI's and give the planet a feel that the "plant monsters" are senescent beings. Give players some empathy for them or a thought on how all these critters ended up on different planets. Most likely the players will probably stir up a small plant monster genocide without a second thought.

16. Celdorak

Celdorak Lieutenant

I don't think it would break but I do think that there is a cap at which it stops spawning local entities. I just don't know what that number is. It's a good amount though.

My unsolicited solution, would be to create a planet wide biome with no decorations or grass, essentially just set size and cluster to zero then altitude from zero to 300 or so. Then populate it with plant monsters. This ensures no matter where the player is, plant monsters are sure to follow. Then you can fill the planet biomes however you want with regular decorations and spawn any locally specific monsters.

Javarox87 likes this.
  17. Kaeser

Kaeser Rear Admiral

Well there are some constraints regarding critters on planets just like for the number of plants and decorations and POI's you can have.

First thing to keep in mind is the number 3 is not how many you will have in one specific biome, it only tells the game how many will spawn simultaneously, and yes 3 is the max...

Ultimately there is no way you can tell the game how many you want in one specific location, game always generates that based on space available.

That is, the larger the biome the more creatures will spawn there so, even if you put 20 times the 3 spiders spawning in one location only the first 2 or 3 will.

This also applies for different creatures, that is, if you have a biome with spiders and plant monsters and assassins greys and reds it doesn't mean all will spawn, depending of the area size of the biome maybe only the spiders ever will...

So choose biomes like plains or grasslands for those are usually the bigger ones and not mountains or cliffs, also try to avoid placing them on oceans or shallow lakes as none of them can swim...

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
    martian101 and Javarox87 like this.
  18. Captain Jack II

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
  19. Kaeser

Kaeser Rear Admiral

martian101 likes this.
  20. Javarox87

Javarox87 Captain

Destiny Server won't be coming back... but the admins of "Dead Meat Clan" will be hosting the old Destiny planets soon. They are being converted to have Alpha 6 weather and radiation features and being further refined. Once the planets are complete and have been on the server for awhile I'll be linking them. The new playfeild designer pinned on the Hanger bay forums has been a tremendous help taking days off of what would have been some tedious yaml coding. I hope to have screenshots up along with at least a few links this week.

Kaeser likes this.