Small Vessel

Discussion in 'Questions, Discussions & Feedback' started by EleonGameStudios, Aug 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kurgis

Kurgis Lieutenant

Bulldog mk 3 Late combat SV - vastly increased firepower but still with all the agility of the mark 2 - once i've leveled and got a load of stuff this is what I shoot everything with :) 2x gatlings for drones, 4x railguns, 4x plasma, 4x homing launchers - still buildable if you're lucky with rng from just taking everything from Akua+Moon. If you're not lucky with rng, spawn in creative - swap out the 4x plasmas for 4 more gatlings, swap out the homing for normal missile launchers and this is easily buildable and that dramatically reduces ammo costs as well.

bulldogmk3costs.jpg bulldogmk3mainshot.jpg bulldogmk3reartop.jpg bulldogmk3side.jpg bulldogmk3stats.jpg bulldogmk3top.jpg

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=927696978

Edit: Used the old images by mistake - just a lot of styling changes really

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 27, 2017
  2. Jackall

Jackall Commander

very nice! I'll try it out!

Kurgis likes this.
  3. 68plex

68plex Captain

rucky, Siege Inc. and rainyday like this.
  4. Jackall

Jackall Commander

I love the power of this ship but damn, the drone base pretty much one shotted my cockpit and took me down. Big flaw in my opinion!

5. Kurgis

Kurgis Lieutenant

Lol you're not meant to get hit - I can take out a P1 with no problems - strafe in 3d and you'll be fine :)

I should add this is not a "just sit there" class of Sv its a light, agile fighter - its survivability is its agility - the armour is just to save internal dmg and the like.

ion_storm likes this.
  6. Jackall

Jackall Commander

I was actually just flying by. Maybe it was a lucky hit.

ion_storm likes this.
  7. Kurgis

Kurgis Lieutenant

Must of been - I just went through 4 rados missile silos, and 1 xenu mine - 1% dmg and no dmg to cockpit at all and thats I think 20 turrets firing at one point or another *shrug*.

8. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

Is there a page where the parameters of each crucial device are detailed, how the RCS works and such ?

9. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

I only use reinforced steel blocks in my SVs to shield vital parts too exposed to direct hits. Armor steel is 32 kg per block and 200 hit points, so the more you put as "deco" the less mobility the SV will have. The RCS efficiency is clearly tied with the ship dimensions, as adding just 1 block in any direction will drop the stats in that direction. So I design my SVs to be as small as possible, given the "perfect shape" for optimal performance is a tiny "cube" with no dead weight to carry around. I can easily strafe between laser shots and even absorb many hits while getting really close to enemy turrets, and I retreat "backwards" to see incoming shots. Here is a small (ugly of course) design with minimal weight and maximum performance:

SV_whiteCube.png SV_whiteCubeStats.png
    This little thing is surrounded with small round thrusters with 200ish hitpoints and the weapons with 300 hp. Since there are 8 thrusters in each direction, losing one (never happened yet) doesn't hamper movement much. The cockpit is the weakest part, but really someone with average skills should easily dance around the enemy. In fact it can dance around most if not all the other SVs on this thread... 4 railguns take turrets in 2 shots, the gatling is for spawners / aliens / exterior sentry guns. I made another horror like this using the thrusters M this time, which have 600 hp. When steel blocks get hits or are destroyed, there is no way to assess the damage except looking at the ship in 3rd person, while damage to thrusters can be seen from the control panel, thus helping to decide when to retreat for repairs. No such clues with blocks !

SV_blueCube.png SV_blueCubeStats.png
    Only problem with these two ships is their fuel / power consumption: in combat they casually go around 125 % power usage, so I keep an eye on the fuel tank... They both have a fridge, and I only put 1 ammo box since they weight 600 kg - I re-fill them when needed and I put lots of spare ammo in the regular cargo boxes, with spare parts and thrusters. I also put the "mobile constructor" in a cargo box and just glue it somewhere when I need it: why would I add 1 ton of dead weight that is totally useless in combat ?

Last edited: Jun 3, 2017
  10. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

Here are 2 other designs with similar performances, using the "prefab" cockpit 3x4x5 (easier to get in by clicking on the glass instead of having to jump on top like in the previous post):

SV_Pinky-1.png SV_Pinky-1_stats.png
    This one can be refitted with more weapons (and less speed given added weight) by simply putting the "back" thrusters in front of the cockpit (and removing the steel blocks), as this will not add to the SV overall length and consequently leave the RCS "strength" unchanged:

SV_Goblin-1.png SV_Goblin-1_stats.png
    I forgot to put O2 in the first (pink) one but they both have a ventilator, O2 tank & station, fridge, etc. Also, since a SV can only fire 1 type of weapon at a time, it is not a wise decision to add more weapon types than what is needed to take out any given target. Speed and agility is they key to win any fight, and I prefer the railguns over the rocket launchers because the projectiles travel much faster with 4x160 damage, which is sufficient to make holes everywhere (rocket launchers weigh in at 300 kg vs 150 for railguns). I try to keep the guns close together to concentrate damage on a small area. All "vital parts" are protected / surrounded by thrusters, the cockpit, or sometimes armored steel blocks / shutter window (like in front of the spotlight) in the 4 SVs shown here. I use a 1x2x1 docking pad "enclosed" somewhere under the ship so it doesn't add 1 block to the vertical dimension, again to preserve performance.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2017
    ion_storm likes this.
  11. Pyston

Pyston Captain

Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
    Siege Inc., rainyday and Deltran 2 like this.
  12. SoCalExile

SoCalExile Captain

Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
    Triblade and Siege Inc. like this.
  13. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Lieutenant

I've made a Republic gunship from Star Wars! It's heavily armored and kind of sluggish, but it has a TON of guns. And it looks pretty good. :) Check it out on the workshop: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=940055645

gunship3.png

Also check out the video I made demoing it and talking about the capabilities.

Pyston and Siege Inc. like this.
  14. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

@Pyston : why did you add a 3rd generator in your JF-2 Rapture ?

15. Pyston

Pyston Captain

The Power requirement was going over 75% on high gravity planets when doing aerial maneuvers. Traditionally on live (not sure if this has been changed in the exp) when generators go over (I think its 75%) they start using more fuel. The additional generator prevents this. I prefer to have the fuel consumption remain constant and predictable vs using more. The added generator only consumes more fuel due to its weight, not operation.

Siege Inc. and rainyday like this.
  16. rainyday

rainyday Rear Admiral

RAIDO CORPORATION GRASSHOPPER
    It's not fast, it's not pretty, it's not well armed or armoured - but it's easy to acquire, it gets you from A to B, it has some storage space. And it can fly you to the moon! Grasshopper for all your starter SV needs! Unlockable at lvl 7.

Raido-Grasshopper.jpg

>> Steam Workshop link

17. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Lieutenant

Wow, love the neat asymmetric design.

rainyday and Pyston like this.
  18. Pyston

Pyston Captain

Hey guys and gals.

I just made a starter SV to help people fly off planet to farm sathium and neodymium for their starter CV's.

I call this ship 'Bebop' because that's what it does, it lets you bebop around :)

410 Iron Ingots
    246 Cobalt Ingots
    236 Copper Ingots
    138 Silicon Ingots

This is a starter SV, not meant to take on POI's.

Thank you hope this helps some of you get started.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=945482212

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ion_storm and Iluminator like this.
  19. Iluminator

Iluminator Lieutenant

I love every one of your work, Pyston ...

Pyston likes this.
  20. Pyston

Pyston Captain

Thank you. I try to make fun immersive stuff. I don't think I always hit the mark, but that is the great thing about trying and making more stuff, the learning process :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.