Steps to Building an In-game Economy

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by michaelhartman89, Jul 17, 2017.

?

In favor of expanding the Economic System

1. Yes

148 vote(s)
    70.8%
  2. No

9 vote(s)
    4.3%
  3. Yes for Economic System, but no to Blueprint charge

52 vote(s)
    24.9%
  1. Kaeser

Kaeser Rear Admiral

Most of what you refer here is already in game one way or another and a dynamic market feature is already on the drawing board even if to an extent that already exists in MP with players selling to each other....

martian101 and Tyrax Lightning like this.
  2. michaelhartman89

michaelhartman89 Rear Admiral

Im not seeing a comparison and that isn't to discredit you, can you go more in to depth since I know of no feature that is already in the game in the complete state I have suggested, besides something that is on a server.

I meant the Vanilla version offering all of the above.

I know we can buy from traders and use an ATM as well as make trade offers and purchase from that.

The economy in its current state is nearly non-existent when it comes to selling ores and other products. Also the purchase of ships is not in the game.

Really there is no reason for us currently to mine gold or collect credits and that is what I am pushing for in the next update and is the purpose behind this.

Sofianinho, Tyrax Lightning and Gatt like this.
  3. michaelhartman89

That requires the player to make friends and join a faction. To work from the bottom up. PvP is a whole different animal and you can't approach it as a individual. Its a team sport and yes many times there are jerks, but there is safety in numbers and sometimes honor among thieves.

As for the credit bonuses, just bonuses for cores, not people. Although I do like the idea of kill counts for PVP

Tyrax Lightning likes this.
  4. Kaeser

Kaeser Rear Admiral

The possibility of selling to traders is already being worked on, that will require dynamic market prices in SP and MP, but you can already sell CVs and bases in MP and market trades are common in every server already....

5. michaelhartman89

We are designing a full economy on our server with rare resources in each sector and we are making it nearly impossible to not trade and sell ores between sectors. We have nearly added all of the features in my thread, although it is a lot of work for the admins to act as bankers/traders/mob bosses.

It would be great to get AI versions of these features since there are only 4 of us admins on the server

Sofianinho, Tyrax Lightning and Gatt like this.
  6. michaelhartman89

Im curious how you sell them, bc this is something I didn't know how to do. Is it a option on the marketplace?

7. michaelhartman89

I know I can put up items for sell on the marketplace, but i didn't think that that included ships as well

8. Kaeser

Kaeser Rear Admiral

There's several ways of selling stuff in servers standard and custom made and custom supported by admins but the ones I did were all player to player

9. michaelhartman89

Exactly what I mean, it's not vanilla then. I'm talking about an Economy that has a "kelly bluebook" value for every vessel based on components, block size and devices.

This gives an automatic value to everything in the game which opens up the possibility of starting a black market to smuggle items and steal

10. michaelhartman89

This would mean that you can sell to other players or sell it back to the bank, trader or dealership.

Sofianinho and Tyrax Lightning like this.
  11. michaelhartman89

Btw everybody I updated the OP and fixed quite a few grammar errors and typos. I'm sorry if it was hard to read at first.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
  12. Gatt

Gatt Captain

What i see as the biggest hurdle to an actual dynamic economy is infinite resources(autominers and regenerating pois) and the ability to craft almost every item in the game(except autominer cores, boosters, and epic weapons)
    I would like to propose a new alternative gamemode(Or possibly a mod) that would be completely optional, configurable and meant for medium to large servers that could support an actual player driven economy. I don't pretend that this would suit SP or every server and playstyle.

1. I like to remove all autominers and regenerating pois, resources should be collected from meteorites, regenerating space asteroids, and the occasional AI freighter and trasport ship( to account for the fact that we have limited areas to travel to)

2. Npc traders should be able to buy and sell everything in the game, from ore to epic weapons. They should buy things for terribly low prices and sell for very high prices(this is to allow players to undercut the npcs and make buying and selling to players more profitable but still allow you to trade if no players have what you need. Would also give everyone a source of credits because they could always grind meteorites and sell the ore for something.)

3. Ship dealer Npcs can buy ships from you(for used car prices, or based on a percentage of their buy value of the blocks left in the ship) and sell you crappy "used" starter hv,sv, and cv's(but for the terribly high value they sell the blocks for). All configurable of course.

4. The current blueprint system would have to be disabled and replaced with Shipyard Npc's. Shipyard npc's can build any of your custom blueprints, you have to provide all the blocks(or pay them the high npc price to provide them for you) ingots and components cannot be used only full actual blocks, also you can only provide the blocks required for the build(No building entire ships out of t2 generators) multiple blocks are not allowed unless called for. You also have to pay a percentage of the value of the ship as a labor fee add can pay more to hurry a project along, build times and fees are configurable.

A new direct trade screen would be needed so we can buy and sell directly to other players without getting cheated(both sides have to agree to the exchange)

Edit: player and survival constructor crafting limited to t1 drills, biofuel, food and medical supplies and pistol, assault rifle and ammo. With the ability of the constructor to turn ore directly into those things without making the sub components.

And now the reason you would have to use these systems. Component production, and refining permits

When a new player joins a server they have to choose which ore they are allowed to refine and which components they are allowed to produce. For example of you want to be the big cable mogul of the server you would pick copper to refine and cables as the component you want to produce. All players can craft any block but they can only produce certain components on their own. So they will have to buy or trade for the components they need. Players could eventually buy more permits but they should never be able to produce every component on their own. They could always pay a premium to npc's for components but it would be better to trade with players. If you have a permit to refine copper you will pay more for the ore than the npc's so players will sell it to you(or mine out yourself to increase your profit margin), if several people are refining copper then there will be competition for resources and people selling ore will get a better price.
    I think this would be a cool system, it would give value to every block and ship and encourage us to seek out good trade agreements. The npc's would fill in any missing gaps in player production so it might cost more but you could always build whatever you want

Sorry for the wall of text

13. Kaeser

Kaeser Rear Admiral

Apart from this part all seems reasonable but this would just bring unnecessary grind and micromanagement....

The economy is just a side note in the grand scheme of things, should not take the major amount of time of player game time, besides the game already has way to much artificial restrictions....

14. Gatt

Gatt Captain

I agree that's why i suggested it be an optional gamemode for servers. some people don't mind the grind and time involved so if your server was using this mode it would attract those kind of people. I realize most peoplejust want to blast others out of the sky but some people like the long game

15. Tyrax Lightning

Tyrax Lightning Rear Admiral

Psst... ya can Edit New Info into an existing Post if ya have more to say & go to your Thread to say it & find that you're still the last Poster on that Thread at the time... ;)

What if it becomes impossible for me to be able to take care of myself this way AND I can't afford the remaining things needed to take care of myself with & I end up being a loser schmuck that has no choice but to die & look like a Retard? :(

martian101, michaelhartman89 and Gatt like this.
  16. Gatt

Gatt Captain

I suppose that could happen if you lost everything. I have said i think our suits should be able to craft a t1 drill, bio fuel and a survival constructor,so we could drop to a planet with nothing or build our way of a planet if we lose everything. But with the npc traders buying and selling everything you could go gather some fruit or fiber or Pentax crystals to sell, then buy a drill and biofuel then start grinding meteorites again, you should never be left with nothing and no options like we are now

17. Tyrax Lightning

Exactly. I don't ever wanna be some retard Roger Wilco that can't even survive at minimum power as needed... it'd be like if I was supposed to be a Real Spaceman, but I can't even not starve to death in a Emergency Survival Situation cause I can't have any 'Emergency Survival Training' on my dude.

We need to be able to 'get on our feet' & survive long enough to regain enough power to get back going again in our efforts to grow & become strong. If the above Suggestion was done wrong, our dudes could find themselves unable to Self-Craft our needed stuff to attend to our Basic Survival Needs of Food, Shelter, Oxygen, & ability to eventually Craft our way to power levels above the basics thus be Crashing onto the Escape pod on the Planet then right off the Bat, have the Situation already be Checkmate.

Gatt likes this.
  18. Gatt

Gatt Captain

But we can be in that situation in the right now. If we lose everything our only option is a fresh start, with my suggestion you would always be able to gather, sell and buy your way back to a working state. Or if our suits could craft a basic drill and constructor out of say fiber(carbon fiber). Like i said this will not appeal to everyone which is why i want it optional and configurable

19. Tyrax Lightning

My worry is that people can refuse to sell or buy from a Player in bad shape to FORCE them to have no choice but to die & Checkmate. Is this Suggestion safeguarded against this?

Also I think having the Spacesuit being able to Craft a T1 Drill, the Biofuel to run it with, & Survival Constructors would be rad. Meant to mention that before, my bad. Wolverine Claws-like Melee Defense would also be cool for at least defense against Wildlife in the event one's Ammo Supply was defeated... plus it'd be cool. :)

Gatt likes this.
  20. Gatt

Gatt Captain

Yes you could do nothing but trade with npc's and aquire everything you need' it would cost you more but it could be done. The npc's would fill in any gaps in production, if everyone decided to refine iron so they could make armor you could always buy the rest of your components from npc's. You would just get better deals and make more profit trading with other players but it's not essential