Thermal exhaust ports and retractable landing gear.

Discussion in 'Experimental Features Discussion' started by Kronoss, Jul 9, 2017.

1. Kronoss

Kronoss Captain

Some items that would be nice in game are thermal exhaust ports that could be added to CV/BA. They would remove the heat penalties for heat producing devices. They should be placed outside the installation and be air tight.

Second item is retractable landing gear. Many people don't use the landing gear because it gets in the way or isn't aesthetically pleasing. I suggest the the landing gear be able to retract. Landing gear 2 and 3 could retract into the docking pad. When extended they should mitigate damage from all forms of hard landings if they hit the ground first. Retracted they would take up less space be more aesthetically pleasing and could still be used as docking pads. This would allow more compact placement in tight docking areas while allowing for a specific function. In emergencies(loss of power) they should automatically extend to protect from fall damage. They should also get an armor buff so they aren't blown off as easily.

ldog and Agent0024 like this.
  2. ITguy1981

ITguy1981 Commander

I've been wanting retractable objects for a long time. I would like retractable landing gears. I would be nice to have retractable walkways. I would also like to have hinged ramp to act as floor and then swing down to act as a ramp like almost every boarding ramp on sci-fi ships.

3. ECubed

ECubed Commander

Would be nice if they stabilized as well. Either find semi-level land or deal with a lopsided landed ship.

geostar1024, Eclypseon and Ballard like this.
  4. Ballard

Ballard Captain

I would love to be able to autolevel after landing

ITguy1981 likes this.
  5. oojimaflip

oojimaflip Captain

Why would we want to waste all that lovely heat energy? We *could* reclaim it.... with, oh I don't know.... a steam engine! ;)

No, seriously, I know steam engine is a bit left field, but I really don't want to see energy wastage as part of the game.

6. ITguy1981

ITguy1981 Commander

Nothing like being in a HV or SV and you can't get out the door becuase it's crooked.

Ballard likes this.
  7. Kronoss

Kronoss Captain

Yea but in the current implementations none of the larger devices we make have any shielding and will kill us. You would think any devices we make would have that stuff built into their design. Energy attrition is part of the game treadmill and it probably won't go away.

8. Eclypseon

Eclypseon Lieutenant

Putting my two thumbs up for both Retractable Landing Gear and Auto-Leveling Landing Gear.

:):)

Timothy Smith likes this.
  9. geostar1024

geostar1024 Rear Admiral

The generator temperature isn't really high enough to run an efficient steam cycle off of it anyway; it's probably the output of a thermal cycle already, given that the generators themselves are likely some kind of fission reactor (with stupidly low energy density, but that's another issue entirely).

Personally, I'd like to see heat flow actually modeled within a ship, but that may be straying too far into the simulation realm for many players.

Kronoss likes this.
  10. Kronoss

Kronoss Captain

Yes thermal exhaust port could be targeted with thermal imaging too(if we get this). You could detect a ships active thermal signature if it were off radar, one could say.

Eclypseon likes this.
  11. Eclypseon

Eclypseon Lieutenant

It would make lava/high temp planets an intriguing environment if the enviro temp scrambled thermal detection mechanics.

12. ldog

ldog Lieutenant

Yes! More so the landing gear on my want list for a long time, but thermal exhausts ports just because...I mean how can you build the Death Star without a small thermal exhaust port???

Bravo likes this.