This has turned into a public debate about "trusted" servers. Care to weigh in?

Discussion in 'Multiplayer Meeting Room' started by Keith Hovey, Jun 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Keith Hovey

Keith Hovey Captain

Trying to reign in the crazy amount of servers and simplify it for people is a great direction to go in AND I feel its necessary. Its really hard to sort through that list and know what server is going to have a good community. But... I have to ask... Why would you imply that any server is "Untrusted" unless you knew this as a fact.

A suggestion... Why not call them "Certified" instead of implying that the rest of us are not worthy of trust and causing damage to our communities.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
  2. Frigidman

Frigidman Rear Admiral

What is not trusted? Untrusted.
    What is not certified? Uncertified.

How is that any different?

Not everyone is a winner, sorry to break it to you.

ImperialGuard likes this.
  3. Keith Hovey

Keith Hovey Captain

Who said anything about "winning" anything? Im just saying its poorly worded and casts a negative shadow for no reason.

4. Repier

Repier Commander

Dietrich likes this.
  5. Keith Hovey

Keith Hovey Captain

Yeah we applied already. A week ago. Finally got messaged back that its going to be another week or two. I saw that and my heart dropped man.

Repier likes this.
  6. Hummel-o-War

Hummel-o-War Administrator Staff Member Community Manager

• Developer
    I am afraid we can only check servers one by the other...and we'll also check activity and such..which is 5 days randomly chosen and compared to the infos you give with the application

7. StoneLegion

StoneLegion Captain

For example I would never apply because my hardware is dead keeps rebooting. Already keep getting corrupted saves because of it and have to keep restoring haha. I'm going stop running my server sadly.

But yeah make sure you have a decent thread information, your honest, your open and you communicate not just in your game but also on the forums, and wherever else you list your server. People don't want to join a server where it's down a lot, will lose their work, etc. Bigger servers of course have to do area wipes at time but make sure you list them clearly, etc.

Just suggestions I have no control over how it's accepted or anything like that but I know what I would want for criteria.

8. James Grayson

James Grayson Lieutenant

Actually I'm pretty sure his server is one of the top five servers. I have been server shopping this last week and they seem more promisingly than potentially HWS or Tinkercity.

You contribute a lot to this community but then undo it with your crappy arrogant attitude. It's ironic how often you deride people for their 'negative attitude' when you spend 60% of your time pooping on people. I understand you are a fan boy of Eleon but you react to criticism - even healthy criticism- of them with a destinct lack of restraint and maturity.

You set a poor example to follow if your goal is a healthy and mature community.

Physican heal the self.

9. Keith Hovey

Keith Hovey Captain

It was number two for a few months but when they changed how voting worked it got much harder because of steam authentication. Now we sit in between 3 and 18 depending on release time. I looked over all of our data from a third party tracker and in 4.0, and 5.0 we had nice upswings of players.

10. Keith Hovey

Keith Hovey Captain

The criteria isnt a problem nor is whether or not we get accepted. The problem is language, appearance, and poor implementation. Which there is a track record of here. Eleon has essentially shifted players towards a very small handfull of servers in large quantities out of no where while adding that the servers not on that list are non standard and cannot be trusted. On top of that out of over 2000 servers 6 total immediately go up that list. No wait. And everyone else sits behind a delay box. .3% Im just saying that it looks bad and is not good for anyone to handle this in such a fashion. Its unprofessional to say the least.

James Grayson likes this.
  11. James Grayson

James Grayson Lieutenant

I don't think many players give as much credence the trusted server list as you do.

12. GTv

GTv Rear Admiral

I wouldn't worry about a 'trusted' branding being slapped on a server or not, who's to say the owner doesn't do all the things to get the badge and then do everything differently after that point? The 'trusted' or not trusted means diddly squat in the real world. Play where you want to and if you don't like it there, play somewhere else. Trusted does not mean fun for everyone.

13. Taelyn

Taelyn Guest

Ive said from when this came out. There should not be such a thing as trusted servers. Its unfair towards other server owners. If u got denied or dont apply it doesnt matters. It shouldnt be there.

Its proven already that most of the servers even HWS or the officical servers cant handel the player count. The game is unoptimized as F*** no matter how greath your hardware is.

Insteed makeing a trusted lable first fix that the game can handel the player count ;)

Out of Eleons vieuw i understand they went this way. To many bad admins around and that makes ppl complain, that gives bad revieuws and thats bad for the game.

But if u have a community or not that shouldnt matter to get the lable. It should more be the hardware can handel what u offer.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2017
  14. GTv

GTv Rear Admiral

I have noticed this tendency as well. A holier than thou attitude from a fanboi. I write it off as either a child or a childish adult, either way the comments hold no water.

15. Keith Hovey

Keith Hovey Captain

Man I sure hope youre right. I dont post here much because the community is kind of toxic to anyone that doesnt agree with the main stream ideas. But this just seems poorly executed. Even for eleon.

Cyrus the Virus likes this.
  16. Keith Hovey

Keith Hovey Captain

I have a small handfull of posts on here... And somehow i always end up with piddlefoot, Fridgidman, or some other regular attempting to either downplay or straight up insult something i post lol. So I just dont bother taking part any more. I have better things to do. Like run my two businesses or play with my kids. But this just... I had a few players that had JUST come to our community leave over it because they were afraid of being scammed after reading that forum post.

17. Keith Hovey

Keith Hovey Captain

I honestly think they need something like that. But it should have been better thought out, research should have been done AHEAD of time, and it shouldn't alienate THE REST of the community. If I have a player TELL ME they are leaving BECAUSE of something they read is it not my job to address it and fix it as a server operator? At least if It can be fixed.

18. James Grayson

James Grayson Lieutenant

I think Eleon does a good job with limited resources. After a decade of Eve Online and dealing with Crowd Control Productions I find Eleon to be refreshingly open and gracious.

However, my intuition is that perhaps they look at Empyrion as a single player survival game with a multiplayer mode tacted on.

I think much of the customer base sees a civilization building mini MMO and this causes misunderstandings when they make certain design choices.

This started to Dawn on me when it became clear that things like economic sinks and drains weren't even on their radar.

tehmashby likes this.
  19. Taelyn

Taelyn Guest

Eleon should never get involved into player made server. And with this Trusted they do. If they wanted to do something what i understand. Then give the player the ability to maintain a favorite list him self. Now they point out whats trusted and what not. Trusted is already a weird name for it.

Depends where players complain about. For some stuff u are the person they go to. Its your server. Your the spokes person who has to handel things. Look to HWS ppl complain to the Admins and they bring it to the Dev's

Jackall and Cyrus the Virus like this.
  20. GTv

GTv Rear Admiral

Yep. All they need is for a couple of 'trusted' servers to start hacking users computers and selling private data and the companies name is ruined.

Cyrus the Virus and Taelyn like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.