[TOOL] [DISCONTINUED] Empyrion Playfield Designer Alpha7 v1.36.1 [deprecated version]

Discussion in 'Planets & Playfields' started by jmcburn, Feb 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Christianholmes

Christianholmes Captain

I am not OP, but the app is 100% clean. Heuristics in an AV program will often scan an executable to look for "dangerous" machine code. It could be any code that deletes, renames, or otherwise changes files. That's probably why it's getting the false positive.

As an IT professional for over 25 years (I was a Microsoft MCSE instructor, and IT director for a large insurance company), I can't stand A/V programs and "heuristics". I don't use A/V and pretty much exclude Windows Defender from almost everything. False positives for heuristics are extremely annoying- why? Because to the end user, it looks like the A/V software is a hero! It just saved your ass! But in reality, an overreaching heuristics algorithm will flag 10,000x more false positives than actual viruses. Better safe than sorry, right? Wrong. This is annoying and absolutely unnecessary- what are the odds, Remog, that you are the first victim of this virus on the internet? They make people paranoid, and then fall for a phishing e-mail because the A/V software didn't tell them not to. And clearly a lot of people have downloaded and used this niche program, and nobody has had any problem with root kits or anything- Jusst buy a 2TB backup drive, run it every night, and go for it. Reinstalling your OS is usually pretty easy. I do it every six months regardless just because I hate garbage on my desktop. I keep all my important files on another drive. My C: drive fails? No big deal, swap it out.

I don't have any way to prove it's harmless (you can't prove a negative), but I have a strong feeling it's nothing but great, and I think he did a fantastic job.

jmcburn likes this.
  2. jmcburn

jmcburn Rear Admiral

I couldn't have said it any better! Thx @Christianholmes.

I can't prove to you that EPD contains no trojan or virus. Nor can you or anyone else prove that it contains one.
    There may be antivirus programs, that don't flag it, but a lot of them do, sadly.

I have answered the same concerns as you have to others many times before already. I'm sorry, i can't do anything about it.

I'm sorry i can't take away your concerns. It's up to you to trust and and use it or leave it. :)

/jmc

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
    LinearBurn likes this.
  3. Hummel-o-War

Hummel-o-War Administrator Staff Member Community Manager

• Developer
    I ve already used this tool for some time, so trust me this is only a AV issue (i am having the same issue with Bitdefender)

Taelyn and jmcburn like this.
  4. jmcburn

jmcburn Rear Admiral

UPDATE (v1.34.3) with full Alpha Experimental 6.6 Support

CHANGES:

• Allow 'Fixed' and 'Random' POIs to be used at the same time. Set 'Use Fixed POIs & Resources' option in the 'General Charcteristics' tab to use the feature.
    • Implemented 'SpawnPOINearDistance', 'SpawnPOIAvoidDistance' (removed deprecated 'POIDistance' option in playfields from Build 1189 on to avoid conflicts or misunderstandings, although it should work in the game, if both would be set)
    • Added 'SpawnResource' near 'Fixed POIs' as well (You would have to set a random Resource first to be able to set it in fixed POIs)

FIXES:

• NullReference Exception on 'Space' playfields save.
    DOWNLOAD LINK:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxUpWMGez5I0US1BX3NpVlViU28/view?usp=sharing

/jmc

Captain Jack II and Taelyn like this.
  5. Triblade

Triblade Ensign

For future reference, you could upload the file to virustotal.com. This is a industry wide recognized tool for re-checking for viruses.

I've upload the whole .zip file first:
    https://www.virustotal.com/#/file/1...bcb91c63f03a6c7a30231483fba073b4c45/detection
    1 out of 59 scanning engines tells us it's most probably a false-positive.

Then I've uploaded the .exe seperately:
    https://www.virustotal.com/#/file/1...d4c115946f26fdedc448e2c94e38cfbfe88/detection
    4/65 scanning engines find it bad. Probably safe/false-positive as well, but less sure.

I'd run it.

6. Remog

Remog Ensign

Thanks Triblade

7. Remog

Remog Ensign

Thanks jmcburn!

8. SilvRav

SilvRav Moderator

Firstly, excellent tool, secondly, can the startup image V be changed to reflect current version....sorry my OCD kicking in

jmcburn likes this.
  9. jmcburn

jmcburn Rear Admiral

Firstly:
    Thx, glad to hear that you like it anyway. :)

Secondly:
    Lol.
    But seriously, not that trivial to achieve (that's why i didn't bother), as a splash startup image can't contain text. So i would have to edit the splash image for every new release in Photoshop (and that's not really worth the effort imo). Or create an own application window for the startup splash itself, which too seemed a bit of an overkill. :)

But if it's any relief to you, i could remove the version number completely from the splash. :D

I noted it to my todo, anyway, but it's not my top priority atm.

/jmc

Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
    SilvRav likes this.
  10. cpspok

cpspok Commander

Ok i have a question what version do i pick from the list when asked in the tool ? im running the alpha version that steam auto installs on my pc .

11. jmcburn

jmcburn Rear Admiral

I'd suggest always taking the latest availabe (which is "Alpha Experimental 6.6.0 (EXP) [Build 1195]" atm).

Only if you'd go for an older playfield and or game version, then i would switch back to some older version.

/jmc

12. SilvRav

SilvRav Moderator

aaah noted :) no biggy, maybe when it makes it to V2 one can update it

13. cpspok

cpspok Commander

Thank you , also i got a question you might be able to help with , when im in god mode to teleport to another planet it works fine but if the planet name is like this Memory Prime 2 words in name it wont find it . Do you know why this is or how to teleport to it if 2 words in name
    thanks

14. jmcburn

jmcburn Rear Admiral

Did you type it exactly as it's named regarding upper-/lowercase?

Else you can try to put it in brackets like:
    teleport "Memory Prime 2"

Other than that, is your planet in a different sector, then you would have to use 'sector' command first:
    e.g. sector 'Mercury Prime 2 Orbit' (or as you named your orbit)
    then
    teleport 'Mercury Prime 2'

But i'm no pro here, would have to test myself. :)

/jmc

15. LinearBurn

LinearBurn Lieutenant

Does the current version work with 6.7?

16. jmcburn

jmcburn Rear Admiral

Yes, should work wothout any problems. There have been no changes to the yaml structure.

/jmc

17. cpspok

cpspok Commander

It does work with current version . One thing that would be nice is to be able to randomly place trees the current way in clusters , how many clusters and size of cluster seems to leave alot of bare spots. Unless I'm missing something.

jmcburn likes this.
  18. jmcburn

jmcburn Rear Admiral

Well, that's not up to me. It's the way Empyrion's game engine works. :)

My guess is that filling the whole planet with deco would be a serious performance hit. But maybe it will be possible some day. :)

/jmc

19. cpspok

cpspok Commander

Also by the way great program

jmcburn likes this.
  20. jmcburn

jmcburn Rear Admiral

Thx, glad you like it. :)

/jmc

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.