[TOOL] [DISCONTINUED] Empyrion Playfield Designer Alpha7 v1.36.1 [deprecated version]

Discussion in 'Planets & Playfields' started by jmcburn, Feb 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. William Knights

William Knights Ensign

Appreciate it. I have a question about yaml files. I created a somewhat of a snow planet using the program on the first page. How do I use this playfield in the actual game? Also, can I use the terrain editor on the first page with the planet creator?

2. jmcburn

jmcburn Rear Admiral

• Copy or save your playfield.yaml in a new template folder with a name of your choosing into folder: 'Empyrion - Galactic Survival\Content\Playfields\'
      e.g.:
      'Empyrion - Galactic Survival\Content\Playfields\MyPlayfield\playfield.yaml'
    • Use EPG by Jascha (Graphical map editor, that helps a lot in editing the sector file) for sector editing or copy one of the existing playfield blocks. :)
      http://empyriononline.com/threads/emp-playfield-generator-epg-v1-06-1.7029/
    • For a quick test you could also edit 'sector.yaml' found in 'Empyrion - Galactic Survival\Content\Sectors\' path.
      The new entry should look like this (selected grey block): Copy it from another block to get the syntax right. Yaml is very picky syntax-wise. One wrong space character in the wrong place and you will crash on load. :)
    • upload_2017-6-9_13-5-58.png
      Important is here foremost, that the Coordinates (200, -30, 90) don't conflict with any other entry in sector.yaml
    • Color is the map icon color, not important
    • Icon: not important, shape of icon in map
    • Playfields:
      Syntax: ['X, Y, Z coordinate of playfield', Planet Name (free to choose), above chosen template folder name (e.g. MyPlayfield), 'Origin Name:Origin Id' ]
      Origin Name and Id are only necessary, if you want to be able to select it as starter planet in the new game menu, Otherwise leave this 4th part out.

You need at least an Orbit type at coordinates 0,0,0
      And one Planet (the one you created), also at coordinates 0,0,0
      The moon would have to be at another coordinate. Be aware that one planet is roughly 2800m/units in diameter, so the next moon/planet should AT LEAST be away 3000 in every direction! And even then, they would practically touch eachother. :)
    • You don't need the Moon playfield, if you don't need/want a moon.
    If you have any other questions, feel free to ask. :)

/jmc

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 9, 2017
  3. jmcburn

jmcburn Rear Admiral

Do you mean Eleons Terrain Generator?
    http://empyriononline.com/threads/a...rain-generator-create-your-own-terrain.11020/
    [EDIT:] Works only with Experimental Versions of Empyrion (yet). Thx @Taelyn.

Or do you mean, if EPD (this tool here) works with EPG (Emp Playfield Generator)?
    http://empyriononline.com/threads/emp-playfield-generator-epg-v1-06-1.7029/
    The answer is yes. :)

If you are working with an experimental version of the game:
    With Eleons Terrain Generator you can create a new terain to later select in EPD's 'Biome' Section. But be aware the the UI of the Terrain generator is not very userfriendly yet and crashes a lot. :)

upload_2017-6-9_13-27-33.png

Adding a playfield to sector.yaml with EPG:

upload_2017-6-9_13-32-47.png

Double click into marked spot in the bottom yellow line. The it will open a new planet field. There you can enter all the data same as above, if you would edit the yaml directly.

upload_2017-6-9_13-35-4.png

The first three zero are the coordinates, the second three czeros the color of icon, then the icon shape.

After that you get the list of playfields. Add your planet here as desribed in above post:
    Coordinates, Name, TemplateName, and Origin:Id if you want to start from it.

Allow, deny sets, if you are allowed/denied to warp from this sector to the selected sector.

But maybe @Jascha is a bit more of a profound help here. :D

/jmc

Last edited: Jun 9, 2017
    Jascha likes this.
  4. Taelyn

Taelyn Guest

Didnt the Devs not say that there Terraine Generator didnt work in the Public version?

jmcburn likes this.
  5. Taelyn

Taelyn Guest

Tool does something this with Always drop meteorites. after closeing and start up

2017-06-11.png

6. jmcburn

jmcburn Rear Admiral

Strange. Worked fine some version ago and didn't change anything, as far as i can remember. :D

Will take a look.
    Thx for the feedback.

/jmc

Taelyn likes this.
  7. VUVossi

VUVossi Lieutenant

Hi,
    when i set it on always for what are the 3 parameter ?
    Menge = how mucht the meteor have on the res
    Intial Delay = if i put in 1 what does it do ?
    Subsequent delays = 0 is for what ?

thx
    Vossi

8. jmcburn

jmcburn Rear Admiral

Amount: 5000
    Amount of ore that is spawned per event (can be multiple asteroids at the same time as well) if you enter 6000, it could be one asteroid with 6000 or three with 2000 each. min=5000

InitialDelay: 1
    Float [0, 10000] Initial delay in game hours before spawning of asteroids begins. InitialDelay < 0 means no spawning at all

Delay: 24
    Float [0, 10000] Subsequent delay of asteroid events in game hours after first spawning (InitialDelay). Delay = 0 means no spawning at all

Hope this helps. You can find most of the information in the ExamplePlanet and ExampleSpace playfields, that come with the game.

/jmc

9. adigregorio

adigregorio Ensign

Yeah, the program is just resetting the fields once you close the asteroid data window. (The window that has these quoted settings)

If you manually open the text file, the only thing listed under asteroid section is:

OreType
    Amount

If you set the 'roids to threshold, program does not reset upon closing windows.

10. jmcburn

jmcburn Rear Admiral

Yeah i know, Asteroid resources is bugged at the moment, sorry.
    Taelyn mentioned that already, but i did not find a solution yet, that works completely. The asteroids have always been a problem, as i haven't found a stable way yet to analyze and switch the behaviour correctly based on the set values in yaml.
    I thought, i fixed it already once before.

And as i'm implementing some MOD functionality as well right now, the fix may still take some days.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

/jmc

Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
    Taelyn likes this.
  11. adigregorio

adigregorio Ensign

No need to apologize! I am not grousing as much as I am giving details :p

Quick question: If I manually edit the text file to hotfix the 'roids, will the designer 'overwrite' the planet section upon saving?

(IE Use the designer to set up world, then manually edit asteroid info. THEN fine tune world via designer. (If I go in that order, will the playfield be overwritten in total, or just edited parts?))

Lastly, thank you for your wonderful effort!

12. jmcburn

jmcburn Rear Admiral

Thx for your feedback. :)

In general, EPD imports all the information on playfield load and creates a completely new file based on all the settings in EPD. So the file gets rewritten completely.

But you still should be safe, as long as you don't switch the 'Drop Behaviour' Combobox. All the values in playfield should get emitted out exactly as they come in.
    There might be some additional 'null' entries afterwards like e.g. 'Fixed: []' or similar, but that shouldn't affect the playfield in any way.

But even in the unlikely scenario, that something gets broken, EPD always creates a backup file on a playfield save.

As a general rule for the moment:
    Every ComboBox that changes/switches the visible UI components, e.g. FixedPlayerStart (Escape Pod/Structure/Position), AsteroidResources DropBehaviour, POI Properties, Planet or Space VesselMission type, ... should be handled with caution at the moment. You should at least check the output into yaml after saving.

The problem with the asteroids dropbehaviour may not be the only afftected setting, as the UI Module code is the same for all the ComboBoxes that alter the UI on 'SelectionChanged'.

/jmc

13. VUVossi

VUVossi Lieutenant

thx for the info,
    works fine ! no problems

jmcburn likes this.
  14. Taun Hawk

Taun Hawk Lieutenant

Hi Jmcburn,

Could you tell me where "FogColor:" is in your tool? I cannot seem to find it and after I save an existing default playfield, it removes this term. Or has this been replaced with newer terms? I was updating Desert2.playfield.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
  15. Furious Hellfire

Furious Hellfire Rear Admiral

Heya dude, awesome tool, awesome work, makes editing playfields so much easier.

Keep it up, people like you allow so much more flexibility in creativity for others with work like this !

jmcburn likes this.
  16. jmcburn

jmcburn Rear Admiral

Hmm, just confirmed. It's indeed missing from the beginning. Strange, but It's not used very often, so no one really missed, i guess. :)

Thx for the feedback. Will be implemented in next version. Hopefully in the next few hours.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

/jmc

Taun Hawk and oojimaflip like this.
  17. jmcburn

jmcburn Rear Admiral

Progress Update:

As i didn't post any updates lately, here's a bit of a progress update on development:

The latest bug with the asteroids drop behaviour (always/threshold) not working correctly seems to be a lot more complicated than i thought.
    I now tried for two weeks to solve it, but whenever i fix it partially, i rip open a whole lot of other issues. The conclusion would only be that i rethink most of the underlying UI code, but i have no clue yet, how to approach that.

There's also some other issues with some new changes/fixes that i lately implemented.

So, in conclusion, i really can't tell you yet, how fast this is going to happen.
    Yet the hope still lives on that i suddenly come up with brilliant idea to fix it without changing half of the program. :D

Sorry for any inconvenience this may cause.

/jmc

Taelyn and Furious Hellfire like this.
  18. Jackall

Jackall Commander

@jmcburn I'm a .Net programmer if you need any assistance or have any questions. If I cannot answer the question, I have the resources at work to find the answer.

jmcburn and Jascha like this.
  19. jmcburn

jmcburn Rear Admiral

Thx for the offer. I know, where the problem lies, it's a major design flaw in the UI code with some of the new features in Empyrion, i did not see or think about at the time, when i started with EPD.

But i don't really want to change the whole UI codebase for now, as i still got some hope, that i will find a quick fix for now.
    Sooner or later, i will have to redo the whole program anyway, but with the current state of the game, changing it now, could mean, that i will have to start all over a third time. :)

But i will come back to you, if i can't find a solution soon, if i may.

/jmc

Taelyn likes this.
  20. cmwhee

cmwhee Commander

Can you put the source on github? There are bugs I'd like to fix

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.